Molyneux: Milo explores “whole new area of interaction”

Friday, 30th October 2009 14:17 GMT By Patrick Garratt

milo2

Peter Molyneux’s told Techradar that Natal-based Milo & Kate will herald a “whole new area of interaction” in games, with focus coming back on the player as opposed to just being on the screen.

“What we found while making Milo, is that part of the skill of designing this whole new experience is in making people comfortable with the fact that they can be seen,” he said,

“That things can recognise them and see them and have a relationship with them. And we’ve been talking about that for years and years, you know, emotional engagement in gaming… ‘are games art?’… “how can we make people cry and laugh?”

“And then you begin to realise that this is a whole new area of interaction. Which really and truly has hardly even been dreamt of by science fiction writers. So I wasn’t at all surprised by some of those reactions at E3. But it is down to our skill as designers to make sure that people don’t feel creeped out by it.”

Full thing through the link. There’s no date on the game as yet. Natal’s expected towards the end of next year.

1. slayernl

the thing is every one feels creepy about this now.
    because of the footage that is out there.
    The only thing MS needs to do, to let people know that natal + milo is “cool” release a new video with new possibilities and just show off new things so that the perception changes on Milo.

2. Psychotext

I doubt the people who would likely pay for something like this have seen any footage whatsoever… or even heard of it.

3. Blerk

Please get back to making games, Peter.

4. justiceblob

@Blerk it is a game.

in fact its targetting a whole new audience; the adult entertainment market!

5. Dannybuoy

cyber sex… now there’s an expression I haven’t heard for a while

6. BeastModeYMOB

Can you say…PEDO FEST? Milo + Kate = not for most shitbox users.

7. Psychotext

I’m always quite concerned when some people’s minds wander to paedophilia when they see something like this. Might I suggest that there might be something not quite right about having that instant association?

8. Gekidami

Come on Psycho, Molyneux clearly says that people will have a “relationship with them”. :p

9. Psychotext

/o\

10. BeastModeYMOB

Say what you like, that’s how I feel about it. I really don’t give a shit what you or anyone else has to say or think about MY pov. Grow up. It was a JOKE. You kids really take this shit too serious. lol

11. G1GAHURTZ

BeastMode, is it true that you can’t look at Milo without thinking about paedophilia?

12. Psychotext

Hey BM, you should probably stamp your feet a bit at the end of that post. Maybe cross your arms too for effect.

13. BeastModeYMOB

Look lil boy I don’t alwayz make a joke about that shit. Why are ya’ll thorowing mantrums? Its other things to do then to say anything to me. I don’t say shit to you dudes directly do i? No. So get off the nut-sack ok.

14. Psychotext

/leans backward
    /makes gang signs
    /puts cap on sideways

y u all up in my grill?

15. BeastModeYMOB

Wow. LIG plz. Grow up. My 6yr old son is more mature than that.

16. BeastModeYMOB

Wow. LIG (Let it Go) plz. Grow up. My 6yr old son is more mature than that.

17. Psychotext

You’re quite obssessed with maturity, which is strange given the general level and tone of your posts. Is this like when a child always wants to be seen as grown up?

18. theevilaires

BeastMode don’t waste your time with him. He’s VG247′s wizard of Oz. He must know everything.

19. Psychotext

Talking of obsession. :)

20. BeastModeYMOB

This kids doesn’t know how to read or something. Look dude. Everbody isn’t on here to “rant” or throw a mantrum like you are right now. I’m talkin about being mature because I am (Grown man w/wife & 3kids,3dogs) ok. None of my post was aggresive (from my end). So leave me alone for the last time ok. Just keep in mind also, everybody isn’t here to “rant” or throw mantrums on the internet. lol. This will be my last time asking you to leave it alone. I’m not posting anything else to say to u ok Jr.

21. Psychotext

The irony is quite delicious.

22. Gekidami

I only have 1 dog. …

23. Bulk Slash

I think Molyneux is somewhat missing the point about being comfortable in front of Milo. It’s not that people feel uncomfortable speaking to him, I think people feel uncomfortable being seen speaking to him. It’s just odd to be spotted “playing” a game where you spend time having conversations with a young boy, especially in this age of Daily Mail paedophile paranoia.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if you were interacting with a recognised character from one of Microsoft’s games? I think feelings would be a lot more positive if it was the Master Chief or Marcus Fenix you were chatting to (let’s not get bogged down with the fact that both those characters don’t have a lot to say usually ;) )

24. Psychotext

“I only have 1 dog”

Oooh… so close to being an adult! :P

25. Armitage

BeastMode is so mature he doesn’t throw tantrums.. He throws MANtrums!

(Sorry Beasty couldn’t resist)

EDIT: Oh that is an actual phrase I see not a humorous typo.. :D Hadn’t heard that one before..

Oh dear I look rather foolish now…

/goes back to lurking

26. DarkElfa

wow, testosterone alert.

27. Gekidami

/Points and laughs at Armitage.

28. GENE_BC