Analysts predict PSP-4000 will support UMD

Thursday, 29th October 2009 15:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

umda

Analysts Michael Pachter and EEDAR’s Jesse Divnich predict that Sony’s next handheld will support UMD – or at least, would not be surprised if it did.

“I think it is possible and likely that the PSP-4000 will support UMD, and I think that Sony will support whichever formats make it the most money,” Pachter told Edge. “It’s an interesting dilemma. Without question, there is room for packaged products and the benefits of digital-only are probably more than offset by foregone sales of UMDs.

“I think that the next version will likely have both, with a disc drive that uses no power if the user is playing a downloaded game. The question is whether it’s too bulky, but my guess is that they can fit some flash in there, or equip the game with a 16Gb memory stick and consumers will be perfectly happy.”

On that front, Divnich feels that Sony would like to drop UMD but it might not be fiscally possible.

“Ultimately, businesses must meet the demand of consumers. If the PSPgo fails to latch on as a standard model for the PSP, Sony has no choice but to continue to support the UMD format,” said Divnich. “If Sony had their way, they would eradicate the UMD standard in favor of digital distribution. Sony’s primary goal with the UMD format was for it to catch on in other media players, unfortunately it didn’t.

“Sony has had horrible luck when it comes to creating media standards, and PSPgo is three years ahead of its time, the same way the PS3 was ahead of its time. Regardless of the success of the PSPgo, ten years from now when the industry is mostly digital, we will look back and single out Sony and its PSPgo as being the first console to push us in the digital direction.”

1. Razor

“Sony has had horrible luck when it comes to creating media standards”

Never a truer word spoken.

2. Blerk

Yeah, that Blu-Ray thing never caught on, did it? :-D

3. pracer

BluRay is still around. And will stay around, but its adoption is slower then they predicted. And lots of folks like me that own a PS3, still buys SD movies over BluRay. I ain’t paying 30usd for a movie, are you kidding me? I rent stuff that I might want in BluRay, and if I buy the movie. It will be in SD. I only own one PS3, but each of my kids have a TV and DVD player in their rooms. I have one in my bedroom, and the PS3 is in the living room. SD movies can make the rounds, BluRays r livingroom only. And as much as someone(looking at TEA) will flame for this – the truth is most folks just don’t car enough between the quality of an upscaled sd DVD and a BluRay. I know I don’t. I toss a SD movie on xb360 and it upscales it very nicely. Better then my PS3 upscales btw. Again BluRays are nice, most folks will freely admit to that. But most folks would rather buy the sub10usd priced SD movies.

Besides, remember Beta Max? Laser Discs? UMDs? And more. Sony does have history.

4. Brol

Not to mention the horrible failure of the Compact Disc it co-developed with Philips…

5. pracer

Co-developed? lol Funded maybe, bought, stole even. Thats like saying Apple invented the GUI.

6. Howie Feltersnatch

With the PSPgo being released THIS MONTH….I sure as hell hope they aren’t planning on releasing a new PSP model for at LEAST another year or two…

Oh, and secondly, why would a new model feature the old media? This prediction is ridiculous.

7. McLovin85

He’s predicting there will be a PSP-4000????
    Surely the next model will be a PSP2 or is that what he is implying?