Xbox Live boss: Cloud gaming won’t overtake consoles any time soon

Wednesday, 28th October 2009 03:10 GMT By Nathan Grayson

onlive31

European Xbox Live boss Jerry Johnson has seen what streaming videogame services like OnLive and Gaikai have to offer, but – despite their potential ability to send his main moneymaker packing – he’s not too worried.

“Streaming technology is something that the industry is betting on longer term… right now I don’t believe that technology can scale out against the experience we can offer on a local machine,” he said during the London Games Conference.

“The technology will continue to improve. As an industry we’ll have to accept that and move with it – but I don’t think it’s on an accelerated timeline for the foreseeable future,” he added.

Thanks, TechRadar.

More through the link.

1. 51googlepm

Do you believe that a pair of Stylish Cheap Knock Off Christian Louboutin Shoes can make our female be more beautiful ,confident and charming ?As we known ,most of the women will believe it.Christian Louboutin Shoes is the famous brand name that every woman is familiar with it and desire to put them on.The unique feature that the red soled has make its shoes very different .In addition ,the Christian Louboutin Shoes are enough fashionable and comfortable that every woman can’t help liking them.

2. darthmahon

I’m pretty excited about this service but I don’t think it’s going to happen with the quality we’re seeing now just yet. However, that doesn’t mean it won’t happen quickly. It depends how convenient people think this service is over a standard console. Biggest example of this is the cordless phone. The quality on that is pure crap compared to a corded phone, but it’s so much more convenient.

We also need to think about how quickly the internet is evolving. Bandwidth is getting dirt cheap, so this is coming no doubt about it.

3. Phoenixblight

I say a good 5 years and service like these will become the normal. The only thing that differentiates Xbox from Playstation are the few exclusives and then their service. They could essentially both do the same thing minus the hardware. They just come up with their own Cloud service.

Then fanboys won’t fight over who has a better console but which service is better.

4. freedoms_stain

Until they can provide HD to everyone (preferably 1080p) then the local system won’t be replaced any time soon, particularly for your ‘core’ gamers.

Where the service may excel for now is in providing old legacy games that only run in SD anyway. Personally I would pay for access to the hundreds of NES, SNES, megadrive, saturn, ps1, ps2, dreamcast, xbox and n64 games and even older PC games that I would have liked to play back in the day but couldn’t because I was a young teen with limited budget and had to make careful choices.

I think cloud gaming could rock that scene. They’d just have to get the publishers on board.

5. Madlink

@freedoms_stain

I think you’re spot on there. If we can get a service that gives us access to potentially thousands of older titles on demand, I’d sign up straight away. As you say, not so much strain on bandwidth either, as it would only have to provide SD.

As for getting the publishers on board, I think that’d be pretty easy as they’re always looking for ways of monetising their back catalogues.

6. pracer

Cloud is the future. Period. How far into the future, I have no idea. But if it works you will see eventual death of perpritory consoles. All new games(not built for the Iphone or some other handheld) will be built on the PC platform and transposed to cloud-like services. I doubt MS, Sony, Nintendo will have a leg to stand on, unless they resctric the rights to their back log of games. I highly doubt that Nintendo, for example, will allow their games to go too far. They will prolly have their own system, with their own cloud service, and it will be the only one that will run their own games. Plus gotta figure, how will motion control games fit into a standard cloud service? It could very be the reason the big three are jumping into motion controlled games, because they want to create a demand for something you can’t get with Cloud. Just a thought.

In the end I am VERY excited about Cloud, I live in the States, have fast broadband, no caps. And I am ready. Just need to wait and see how long this type of game delivery takes. Because in truth, its like health care. You know when it gets here it will be better for everyone, but way too many people make way too much money by doing biz the way its done now. How excited do you think GameStop is going to be about cloud? They along with Walmart, and even MS, Sony, and Nintendo will be fighting it tooth and nail.

7. No_PUDding

Jerry Johnson is an unfortunate name.

I can’t imagine what kind of a prat his mum is.

8. blackdreamhunk

all the cutting edge gamers would jump ship because you can’t compete with a super computer.

If onlive can include modders alot of modders will jump ship.

No more nasty companies like microsft.

there is alot of people who don’t want to buy a new console every 5 years! So I see the death of consoles at hand.

games from onlive will not be matched because well your running a super computer to play games.

pc gaming will not die, there will always be games, I think that onlive will enhance pc gaming.

9. freedoms_stain

‘You can’t beat a super computer’

You can if you don’t have >5 meg broadband. You could beat it with a 6000 series nVidia gpu.