Sky 360 package releases today, costs £15 per month

Tuesday, 27th October 2009 10:02 GMT By Patrick Garratt

skylogo2

Microsoft’s released its UK 360 Sky package today – the basic banana’s going to cost £15 per month, and you’ll need a Gold Live sub to see it.

The basic package gives you the “Base Entertainment Pack,” which includes GOLD, Sky Real Lives, Sky Arts 1, MTV One, Sky Sports News, British Eurosport, ESPN Classic, Sky News, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, History, Eden, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and Nick Jr.

You can add Sky Sports, Sky Movies and other channels for an additional fee.

If you’ve got a Sky sub already, you won’t have to pay twice – you’ll be able to see the channels you already pay for, on-demand, through your 360.

1. Gheritt White

Seems like a bit of a rip-off – I only want to watch LOST, and whilst I’d be willing to pay for just that, I don’t think it’s worth £15 a month for a whole load of extra junk.

2. JPickford

How does it compare to getting normal Sky?

Are they streamed channels or is it proper on-demand? On Demand will eventually kill normal telly, I can see why Sky need to get involved. Satellite can’t do it so their entire business model is at risk.

3. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, that’s far too much.

4. Suikoden Fan

what if you live at your parents and they have sky under there name not your own?

5. G1GAHURTZ

How does it compare to getting normal Sky?

Vid here

6. JPickford

“This is a private video”

Wow. Sky sucks!

7. Psychotext

Quite cool if you’ve already got a subscription. Nice way of getting it to another room if you don’t want to buy another box.

8. deftangel

I bought sky player to watch the ashes. Cost £34 a month. Have kept it for the time being to watch the footie.

I’m not sure it’s worth it but I’ll give this a go first.

9. G1GAHURTZ

deft, do you know if the ‘red button’ works on Sky Player?

I’m stuck with Virgin cable and the red button doesn’t work on Sky Sports, so I can’t choose to view a different game on football first or on ECL nights if I want to.

10. Redh3lix

As a PS3 owner, if this service DIDN’T require a Gold LIVE subscription, I would go out and purchase an XBox 360 right now. I was looking at Sky multiroom, but this seems a better idea, if only for that damn LIVE business.

LIVE doesn’t offer me anything I want or require or what my PS3 doesn’t already offer me for free, thus I refuse to pay to go online when I already pay my internet service provider.

Sounds like a good service though if your already a Sky/LIVE subscriber though.

11. freedoms_stain

I knew this is how they’d work it, and it’s exactly what I didn’t want.

This is streaming, there’s absolutely no reason why they can’t let people have x number of channels of THEIR CHOICE.

I’m not actually the type of person who tends to “watch” tv, if there’s something on I want to see I’ll catch it online or torrent it at my leisure, what I was hoping here was you could subscibe to certain programs on demand, or x number of hours per month on demand, watch whatever you like.

Until they have something like that available, thanks, but no thanks, you fucked up an interesting proposal there Sky.

12. SplatteredHouse

This is a new low, in the crap streaming console media for Europe, stakes! A truly ragged, awful selection, from the most stingy of barrel scrapings.

13. Psychotext

“Why do they insist on this “pack” model where they give you dozens of channels you’ll never watch?”

Profit margins.

14. BeastModeYMOB

Wow, that is a really good way to fuck some sales for the month.

15. renegadegd

hey guys, visit the Xbox website and click on the sky player link. they have offer codes at the moment.

3 months for the price of 2 – CODE: XBOX3FOR2
    1 month free for existing sky sub – Code:XBOX1MONTHFREE
    expires: 05/02/2010

enter these on the sky player website when choosing your package.

16. Retroid

Sky downstairs, but my 360 is in the loft. Now I can watch Sky stuff, quite a bit on-demand, for no extra cost.

^__________________^

17. Gamoc

18. Hunam

Is this in HD or not?

19. renegadegd

Gamoc, its only free to multi room and broadband subs.
    you can be nether of these but still have a full sky sub.

just go to the xbox website if u think im making it up.

20. Gheritt White

According to the Metro paper, it’s not in HD because British broadband isn’t up to the job. Thank you, BT!

21. freedoms_stain

There are plenty of people who have connections that could support a 720p stream.

I have a feeling it’s more to do with money than capability.

22. Gamoc

I have a feeling it’s more to do with most ISPs having a ‘fair use policy’ which renders their ‘unlimited’ title absolutely fucking wrong. Like my 10mb Virgin Media connection.

And @renegadegd, oh. I haven’t read anything about that anywhere at all.

23. darthmahon

I’m glad Sky did the sensible thing and let anyone who has a Sky subscription have it free. I think a lot of people are going to take advantage of this over the multi-room crap which you have to pay for.

24. darthmahon

One sec, @renegadegd is that true? If so, I take back my last comment :)

25. Santa Clause

“renegadegd, I have a feeling you’re talking bollocks, because for people with an existing Sky subscription it’s already free.”

You gotta love when people who don’t know what the fuck they’re talking about accuse others of talking bollocks.

Not only do you not need to be an existing Sky subscription to get this, but five seconds on the Xbox site *shows* you this stuff.

26. Gamoc

I did not say that you need an existing Sky subscription to get this, you absolute fucktard.

I assumed he was talking bollocks because I haven’t read that anywhere other than in his comment, it didn’t even say it in this article (just saying it’s free to people who have Sky subscriptions), and I can’t access the Xbox website where I am right now.

27. reask

I actually think renegade is correct.
    I have sky but not multi.
    When I checked out sky player they were looking for 14.95 Euro a month.

I imagine this will be the same.

Edit:
    Mind you I hope I am wrong.

28. Santa Clause

Yes, which is exactly what I said. You accused someone else of talking crap because of *your* lack of research, and because of *your* personal ignorance.

The remark on not requiring a subscription was simply an example I pointed out as part of the reasoning why what he said was perfectly valid. Nowhere did I claim you said it.

Accusing someone of talking crap when they were being honest (and more importantly, helpful) just makes you sound like an egotistical and short sighted tool, to be honest. :) You spouted off an insulting accusation instead of waiting to find out for yourself. That’s the kind of thing emotionally under-developed kids do.

29. Detale

/wanders off in search of the truth…

/is not sure why as he hasn’t even got a 360…

30. reask

Maybe Pat can clear it up.
    I just think no multi and you pay extra for it.
    I mean Sky or MS are not renowned for freebies.

31. Santa Clause

“I was under the impression that anyone with a Sky subscription can access the on-demand content and that a multi-room or broadband ultimate subscription will get you free access to the live TV element of it.”

It really is nothing more than the Sky TV player but on your 360 instead of your PC.

32. reask

Santa Clause said:

That,s what I thought.

33. freedoms_stain

“Sky Player on Xbox Live offers 38 channels, 24 of which support live streaming. Regardless of whether they are Sky subscribers or not, all users will need to have Xbox Live Gold membership to access the content. However, only Sky customers on the multiroom or broadband unlimited packages will get access to the on-demand and live channels without charge. Any other existing Sky subscribers will have to pay a Sky Player multiroom fee to watch the live channels, which is currently £10 but will come down to £5 “shortly”.

For all non-Sky subscribers, the service is available on a variety of different tariffs. The basic Entertainment Pack costs £15, the Sport Pack (not including British Eurosport 2) is priced between £25 and £34 and the movies pack costs between £24 and £32.

Alternatively, users can combine sport and movie channels in various custom packages, ranging from £33 to the full channel pack at £41. The minimum contract term for non-Sky subscribers is one month, and ESPN can be added to all packs at an additional cost. All channels are completely controlled by Sky and the subscriber relationship is also managed by the satellite firm.”

source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a183862/in-review-sky-player-on-xbox-live.html

34. Detale

/wanders back in…

Yep, the website confirmed it. As an existing Sky subscriber I’d be able to access their on-demand content in the same way as I have on a PC using Sky Player.

If I want to view live Sky TV on a 360, I’d need to invest in a Sky Player Multi-Room subscription (which they’re giving a one month trial of for free at the moment).

I’ll stick to using it on the PC occasionally.

35. Gamoc

Aha, so the on-demand thing is free if you’re on sky regardless of whether you’ve got multiroom? That’s actually what I was talking about, so I’m fine with that,

36. woodyrulesok

Looks like it will be good for some people but not such a good deal for lots of others.
    The internet in my area of London certainly isn’t up to the job of streaming decent video. I get jerk-o-vision streaming 320×240 football feeds with sopcast.
    Until BT come and replace the old wires with fibre optics down my road it’s satellite dishes and physical media for me.

37. BeastModeYMOB

All I can see or hear is more $$$$ for ppl to spend with M$ lol. Shitbox fans must really love spending money all the time. I myself wouldn’t do that for a game system lol.

38. Psychotext

lololololol?

39. reask

@ BeastMode
    This is Sky and not MS who are charging.
    360 is just giving you access to it as I am sure PSN will do eventually.

40. reask

I cannot access it on my 360.
    It must not be available in Ireland.
    Typical. :(

41. BeastModeYMOB

I know your talkin about SKY but M$ got their fingers in it too i think. Anywayz, PSN has the BBC iplayer and PLAY TV. I’m in the USA so none of those will work for me lol. But the PLAY TV(demo) I do have and just from that short view they give its pretty sick with a lot of channels. Hell i’ve got a few friends from the UK on my list that is using PLAY TV right now and everyday also. No Charge other than buying the PLAY TV thing.

42. freedoms_stain

MS must be getting something out of it or it wouldn’t be Gold only.

43. reask

Just been on to MS.
    It is available in Ireland but they are having tech problems so it will be another 24 to 48 hours until it is available.
    Just to save anyone a headache if they are having problems.
    Not sure if this is Ireland only or UK as well.

44. renegadegd

@everyone yes, its true.
    im using the XBOX3FOR2 code, the entertainment pack and movies pack comes to £22.33 for the first 3 months. which i am probably going to pay.

sky player has started working again for me. and looking at the amount of movies you can get on demand. £22 might be worth it.

45. Dralen

It definitely sucks that it requires the Gold subscription, I would definitely purchase it if it didn’t. I sometimes pay for a month of live here and there when I really want to play something online. However, I barely use it since I have a great PC and a PS3 that dont make you pay to play online.