Next Elder Scrolls game set 200 years after Oblivion

Saturday, 24th October 2009 18:06 GMT By Patrick Garratt

oblivion

A blurb on Waterstones’ site for Elder Scrolls novel Infernal City has apparently dropped the bombshell that the next game’s set two centuries after Oblivion.

So it says: “A novel that takes places forty-five years after the Oblivion Crisis, which is the story of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion game and the expansion pack Shivering Isles. It partly bridges the gap for the next game, which is set 200 years after the Oblivion crisis.”

Or so it used to say, apparently. Looks as though someone’s done some quick editing. Thank Kotaku for spotting it.

1. Uncontested

Can’t wait.

2. anjin

Yeah, can’t wait, probably be a few years yet though :(

3. Uncontested

Yeah thats what makes it worse.. 3-4 years :( makes me sad

4. Gekidami

So it’s 200 years after, but still set in Cyrodiil?

5. pracer

I hope they greatly improve the stiff feeling combat system, and add in a better quest/map/”where the hell do I go now” system. These games are fun to a point but they soon boil down into a gaurd kill fest. And being a tad faster paced wouldn’t hurt either.

6. Lutz

I’m already hot as hell for a new Elder Scrolls.

7. Santa Clause

This franchise went from an incredibly unique and detailed, lore-rich universe to a horrendously generic fantasy world in the space of one game.

Please get it right this time, Bethesda.

8. Gekidami

Honnestly i didnt have any trouble with the map or quest system, combat wasnt that bad either imo. If anything they need to fix the stiff character animations and add better collision detection. Also some QA would be good, some of the glitches in Oblivion and Fallout 3 are just insane.

9. pracer

I like the map/quest layout of games like Sacred2 and Two Worlds better. They have more of a Quest Helper in WoW feel to them. I don’t like games that do this type of thing:

Quest – Go to the forge and tell your brother …blagh blagh

The problem I have is that as a char in the game then I should indeed know where this forge is and by all mean what my brother looks like. However as a player, playing a video game I have no clue where the forge is located and have never seen the/my NPC/brother before. It often leads to wandering around aimlessly and sometimes frustration. Worse is when game devs use this little facet to “Hide” something and/or challange the player to find their own way there. I know not a deal breaker, but in the end I would rather it be laid out better. Give me a map, and most games do that anyways, and label crap on that map. Show my current position, and show me something labeled Forge. I am cool with that. In the old days the rpg (FFone for example), would say go find my sister in the Tower of blagh blagh. It is located Northwest of town. Great, leave town head northwest and bang, there is the tower of blagh blagh. esy to find in part because it is the only thing standing out there lol. But it helps keep the pace up. In open ended games like elderscrolls the pace often comes to a crawl because of stuff like this. I just don’t enjoy stuff like that.

As far as the

“If anything they need to fix the stiff character animations and add better collision detection.”

Apply that to combat and thats what I mean. The last few games from these guys had char movement like the old kingsfield games. Would be nice if they refined that movement.

“Also some QA would be good, some of the glitches in Oblivion and Fallout 3 are just insane.”

Couldn’t agree more.

10. satsugai

I second that Santa Clause, I hope it’s set somewhere with less of that high fantasy stuff like maybe Elsweyr where all the khajiit live.

Lore link:

11. Uncontested

Booo no khajiit, nobody wants to play that.

They need to take a step back from the save the world for the 400th time idea.. make it ‘become king’ or ‘start your own rebellion’ or ‘build up an army to save the world’ etc etc etc instead of some super hero that does it all himself or with his 3 buddies.

one of my favorite parts of NWN2 was building up my own fortress/staffing it but it still could have been much more open and involved.

12. OrbitMonkey

Maybe they will bring in a more industrial age setting, with flintlock pistols and rifle’s etc? It’s been done before with Fable2, but i’m sure Bethseda would put a good spin on it.

It’d be nice if it was released glitcg free, but thats never gonna happen! Just hope they don’t include a level cap…

13. subversus

yeah, steampunk, something like Arcanum.

14. satsugai

That could work. Remember the Dwemer? They had machines and robots that ran on steam.

15. pracer

Level caps don’t matter for a game like this. Because just like the other one(and just like DAO, unfortunatly) everything scales to your level. No matter what level you are the cave/quest/baddies in it/etc will be the same level ratio to you. Personialy I hate that, but seems a lot of devs do that to “perserve the integrety and challange” of the game.

16. The Hindle

This wil be out with the next generation of consoles i think, with next generation engines. Its rare they do two elder scrolls in one gen

17. Retroid

!!!!!!!

/Hot for Bethesda RPGs

18. Dralen

Im curious where they will set the next game. Its been a different country each time i believe, so it will be interesting to see where they will set the next game.

19. Scyrenn

I miss Daggerfall… :(

I guess doing a game on that scale with current graphical tech is too much too ask?

Polygons suck. :p

20. Scyrenn

Oh and…

Compared to Daggerfall, Oblivion was basically bug free… I somewhat doubt anyone ever finished the main storyline in TES2 (I sure didn’t), just because some random bug would always cause you to get stuck somehow… The randomly generated dungeons in that game were just insane, and as I said, I miss ‘em dearly. :)

Also…

”where the hell do I go now”

Umm… Just follow the red arrow on the compass? Not that difficult, is it?

I actually wish they’d make it a little more difficult next time around because after a hundred hours or so of following that little red arrow… I was sort of thinking I should be bored by now. Only I wasn’t really. So yeah, NEXT! :)

(Maybe because the arrow was also green sometimes… :p)

21. brennan40

@pracer

The leveling system should be tweaked I think. A system where the more you kill a certain opponent, the easier it gets to kill them.
    Keep the levels and caps and whatnot for things like Health, Strength etc. (more to this thought but I am tired :) )

22. dogswithguns

This is good news to me, Im gonna doing alot of reading…. besides already loving the game.