Pachter: PSP Go is priced “too high,” won’t have significant impact on PSP sales

Friday, 23rd October 2009 04:12 GMT By Nathan Grayson

pspgo3

Speaking with VG247, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter took the PSPgo to task, explaining that – without a price drop – it probably won’t be anything more than a teensy blip on gamers’ radars.

“The Go is just priced too high for the perceived value. It may play music and movies, but most think iPod Nano ($149) or Touch ($199) for that, and it is very expensive for a portable gaming device. I don’t see it boosting overall sales, and without a price cut, 3000 sales are likely to be down year-over-year,” he said.

“I think Go will sell 400,000 in the US, 400,000 in Europe and 200,000 in Japan through March. Most of those units will be incrementan ‘replacement’ sales as people trade up, and they may dampen PSP-3000 demand by half that much. The 3000 is selling at last year’s price in a worse economy, with new competition from a sub-$200 Wii. I think overall PSP sales will be pretty similar to last year’s, maybe down a small amount.”

Hear that, Sony? Pachter watches everything you do for a living. He might have a point.

1. Alakratt

Actually, thanks to the PSP Go I finally might buy a PSP…..a 2000 model from Amazon that is. lol

2. Dannybuoy

Say what you see eh Pach, say what you see. I’m proud to be a Go owner. *puts right hand on heart and fanfare music plays* It’s nice to know I have something that is only owned by a few. That way you you get adoring glances on trains/boats/planes. Who cares if it doesnt sell well, I have one and thats all that matters.

3. G1GAHURTZ

PSPno

4. frostquake

Took my PSP Go back…and just kept my PSP 1000 and 2000…Yes I have 2, because TA DA …I have a wife and she plays her PSP 2000. I have LUMBER JACK hands..HUGE…and just one of my hands covers that baby up…What is sad…even me wife’s dainty hands were too big…so she didn’t want it either. You will either get Cramped Hands from the Go cause your hands are too big or ya Suffer from ITTY BITTY TEENY WEENIE Hands Syndrome or IBTWH. If Yer cursed with TEENY WEENIE hands then the PSP Go is your Go To Gadget…But for ppl with normal hands or Big Hands like me…NO FREAKING WAY. And yes I have a cell phone, and Yes it is to small…I have to dial it with a pen or I mash several buttons…And Nope I am not Fat…I just happen to be tall, thin, and Massive Hands..Now Make a PSP the size of a Football (American) and Ya have me…call it the PSP Massive…ROFL

5. G1GAHURTZ

LOL

6. Alakratt

Oh yeah, a 2000 model stays hacked :)
    So no 3000 and ESPECIALLY no Go. Really, I’m a PS3 fanboy, but I have to admit that Sony shot themselves on the foot when they announced the price of the new model and if that wasn’t enough, the UMD to digital exchange program getting scraped just topped it all off. You think they learned with the PS3, but nooo, they repeat the same mistake with the Go.

7. freedoms_stain

Dannybuoy, you may be mistaking adoring glances for pity.

8. pracer

lol @ Freedom

PSP ain’t that bad. I don’t even mind the idea of digi only. But I will stick my 3000psp nice screen and I can still buy umds and boxed games(and them suckers are getting cheap) as stores liquidate them. The thing i never understood was, why get a GO? I can still dl all the games I want with the old model I have. Makes no sense consumer side. As for why Sony pushed it, that makes a lot of sense. I just wouldn’t buy one.