OpFlash man: Modern Warfare 2 is “Michael Bay of videogames”

Friday, 23rd October 2009 10:09 GMT By Patrick Garratt

operationflashpoint

Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising Sion Lenton has branded Modern Warfare 2 the “Michael Bay of videogames,” saying the upcoming Infinity Ward shooter is a “hyped event”.

“The very nature of the game, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, is a hyped event,” the developer told EG.

“It’s kind of like the Michael Bay of videogames. Its budget, its sales, all these kind of things – it is a huge game. But if you’re worried that about kind of thing then nobody would ever make games – there would only be one football game, one shooter game and one platform. It’s healthy to have competition.”

Lenton went on to say, however, that Dragon Rising and Modern Warfare 2 aren’t actually competing. Make your mind up, Sion.

“I don’t actually think we’re in the same place as Modern Warfare 2, anyway,” he said.

“We’re a different creature. We’ll probably get people buying [our game] and Modern Warfare 2 as well. There’s a market for both. I really see Modern Warfare 2 as Hollywood and we’re the Cannes, the arty documentary – dare I say the reportage-style thing.”

Full interview through there.

1. Phoenixblight

2. Gekidami

I played Dragon Rising last week… Urgh, cant say i liked what i saw. I liked the realistic bullet physics, its way better then CoD’s near lasergun precision but everything else was of terrible quality.
    For a game thats meant to be ultra-realistic the driving is pretty shitty especially collisions that feel like your driving a toy car, and i noticed that the devs couldnt help but put the good old extremely unreal explosive barrels and vehicles that seem to be packing TNT when they get shot to much. Seriously you’d think devs would look into that kind of stuff when making a ‘realistic game’, or atleast watch MythBusters!

3. Luthion DeCosta

“So all action, random explosion even in the middle of dialogue and no plot whatsoever?”

Basically, yes.

4. G1GAHURTZ

Errr… no. This is a thinly veiled diss of a dev with an inferiority complex.

Sorry, but take two Bay films in Transformers and Revenge of the Fallen, and they have a Metacritic of 61 and 35, respectively.

CoD4 has a Metaritic of 92 on PC and 94 on both 360 and PS3.

OpFlash: DR has 78 on PC, 77 on 360 and 76 on PS3.

Therefore if anything, the game more deserving of a “cannes” type comparison here, in other words, the one with the actual critical acclaim, is CoD.

It’s pathetic snobbery with the belief that CoD is for the uneducated masses who are impressed by pretty lights and big explosions, whereas their game is some sort of special acquired taste.

Absolute rubbish.

5. Luthion DeCosta

Hey, even something that’s purely action based with load explosion and absolutely no semblance of a plot can be fun.

I.E. Call of Duty. Doesn’t make the game bad though.

6. Grimrita

I’d rather have lots of action instead of a game like Flashpoint that resembles a day out on the farm….. YAWN

7. El_MUERkO

“This is a thinly veiled diss of a dev with an inferiority complex.”

i think you’re looking for drama where there is none

8. Bulk Slash

If I were Infinity Ward I would be deeply offended to be equated to that hack Bay. Especially since CoD doesn’t contain bastardisations of my favourite childhood toys. Damn you, Michael Bay.

9. G1GAHURTZ

i think you’re looking for drama where there is none

No. There’s no drama. Bay films make money even though they’re critically panned.

CoD games make money and are critically acclaimed. There isn’t a single preview that I’ve seen that says anything other than that the game is looking amazing.

10. Grimrita

I get wet playing CoD games… Im like a desert when I played flashpoint. Thank god I didnt waste my money on it, played my friends 360 version. POO! POO! POO!

11. Robo_1

Yeah, I agree with G1GA here. I see what Sion is getting at, but the metacritic average tells it’s only story. Not only is the CoD franchise of big budget and big bangs, it’s also a top quality game, and more worthy of the ‘critics choice’ tag than Op Flashpoint, even if he’s right in saying that it is more realistic of the two.

12. JonFE

I beg to differ. In my childhood, the only noticeable fox was Samantha. Oh, I see, you meant the actual toy robots :P

-Let’s watch that Transformers movie honey! I used to play with those robots as a kid… Oh, the memories…

/drools over Megan Fox

13. blackdreamhunk

I have the game but I have not yet to play it. Dear operation flash point game. your nesxt shooter, take feed back from hardcore pc gamers next time.That is the great secert of the best games on the pc market.

my hard drive is completely full of programs lol

14. Phoenixblight

I have nothing against either of these companies: One I have never played any COD or even this OP game. My Jab was at Bay and that was it.

Megan Fox, Hot? Please

I watched Transformers 2 and the entire movie was just to put Fox in it to show some leg. Bay needs to stop making movies seriously

15. absolutezero

Hang on a second most CoD games have characters who are not American and are also heroic and central to the story.

This just does not happen in Bay movies.