Namco thanks Japanese 360 Tales of Vesperia owners for being beta trialists to PS3 port

Thursday, 22nd October 2009 20:40 GMT By Johnny Cullen

talesofvesperiaa6

In the booklet for the PS3 port of the game, Tales of Vesperia developers Namco-Bandai has said thank you to the Xbox 360 owners who bought the original version for being beta trialists in the game.

These are just some of the nuggets from the booklet.

“Xbox 360 players often complained ‘why aren’t these parts voiced?’, so when making the PS3 version we first set about improving the voicing … As a result, the entire main scenario became fully voiced.”

“We’d be delighted if those who played the Xbox 360 version would play the PS3 version too. Of course the same goes for those playing for the first time.”

“We made a lot of changes we think Xbox 360 players would be sure to appreciate.”

“There are a lot of elements from the Xbox 360 version which were improved, so please give it a try.”

“Based on the feedback so kindly provided by Xbox 360 players, we added a lot of additional elements.”

From Sankuku Complex.

1. Hunam

Sankuku Complex eh?

We know what kind of women JC likes to spend his evenings in front of the monitor with…

2. Freek

Note to Namco; next time, don’t take PR tips from Bobby Kotick.

3. Johnny Cullen

:D

4. Bikki

Harsh.

5. Gekidami

Moral of the story: MS should stop blowing money on Japanese RPG devs seeing as it only funds the PS3 version and dosnt atall sell on 360.

6. Galactic_Barret

Thats so rude. However, thinking about this, burning discs and online petitions, I can’t help but find it hilarious.

7. theevilaires

what gamer in Japan only owns a xbox360? really come on, they paid for a beta now pay for the finish product on PS3.

8. TastyAcidMilkk

shame lol

9. Psychotext

You see… if they were really grateful then they’d patch some of this stuff in.

…what?

:D

10. Alakratt

If MS are dumb enough to buy an “exclusive” deal, then they and their supporters deserve whatever they get because of it. In other words, you buy a timed exclusive deal, and when it’s over you have to prepare for when the other (and probably better) version comes out for other platforms. C’mon, did the 360 fans really thought they were getting the better end of the deal just because they were going to get it first?

Oh Mass Effect I welcome you with open arms!

Edit: I love this part: “We’d be delighted if those who played the Xbox 360 version would play the PS3 version too. Of course the same goes for those playing for the first time” In other words, don’t buy the 360 version. WOW! GOLDEN!!!

11. Bojangles

Namco seemed to be right behind the 360 for a long while – leading with high profile installments of Ace Combat, Katamari and Tales of Vesperia.

Perhaps Namco would be wise to exploit this ‘anger’ and produce a new 360 version that matches the PS3 content feature for feature. Square seem to do well with producing a revised ‘International’ release of their JRPGs after they come out in the west.

This turn of events is kind of cute though. It certainly dispells any of those pro-360 folk that insist their comrades never get defensive about gaming matters and it’s always those other gamers who act offended about things.

12. Scyrenn

Well, I’m not japanese but, um… You’re welcome, actually. oO

13. bytemap

Okay sounds great for PS3 owners and JRPG fans all around. This happens constantly, so I don’t know what the big deal is.

Many times our Japanese friends get an “International” version of the same game the states and Pal territories got, just with a little extra.

Oh, plus I think Sankuku and others are a bit off by claiming to mention that Namco said, “thanks for being beta trialists on the 360″, when it looks like they never did say those exact words.

This may give the wrong impression to readers and invite some to anger or hatred without realizing what’s really going on.

It is very common to develop for one system, have it “exclusive” (which usually means a year or so now-a-days, and then make upgrades when they port it over to another console.

Other than that, good piece :)

14. losibika

support@namcobandaigames.com

send as much comments as you want.
    Maybe those fat heads will do something.

15. Blerk

I still don’t get why people are whining. The people who bought the game originally bought the game, played it and either enjoyed it or didn’t. What does it matter than an ‘improved’ version is coming out now, a year later? They already played it! Is there nothing else out there to play? Would they rather have waited an extra year? Or are they just whining because they like whining?

16. Hunam

Actually blerk, the biggest problem was that the japanese gamers were told it’s exclusive to xbox 360, so they went out bought the game and a 360, only to be told a year later that actually, that was a lie and it’s out for the PS3 soon too, but better and that they really didn’t need to go and spend that extra cash on a 360 at all.

17. Blerk

Well, more fool them for believing anything that the games industry tells them. :-D

We all know they bought the machine, played the game and then traded the lot anyway.

18. Scyrenn

What you said, Blerk… I don’t get why people are complaining either, it’s not like the 360 version is lacking in content, I’m 100 hours in right now and the game is still constantly surprising me with new side quests and general things to do… And I haven’t even started an EX new game yet…

I’ll probably be buying A PS3 to play this (and Last Guardian) at some point, just because I’m curious about the Japanese voice acting etc., so um… yeah.

(Not that the English voice acting is bad in this game, quite on the contrary…)

19. pracer

20. Scyrenn

… most fun I’ve had in a jrpg since Dragon Quest VIII. :p

21. Luthion DeCosta

“… most fun I’ve had in a jrpg since Dragon Quest VIII. :p”

Man, now there’s a wonderful game. I don’t think I’ve ever finished it. It’s probably *too* big for it’s own good…

“100hrs in? Holly hell, I couldn’t play as a group of five yr olds in an overly dramatic, stale jrpg for that long if you paid me.”

That’s a rather interesting comment to make, considering the fact that the game’s cast is made up largely of adults (four in total, plus a dog)

Not to mention that the lead character actually manages to escape all the usual stereotypes that befall the lead characters in nearly every JRPGs, and comes out the other end a rather well developed character.

Actually, Tales of Vesperia does quite a decent job of character development. It has some nice, subtle characterisation that other RPGs could do well to learn from.

Do you just bitch for the sake of bitching, pracer?

“Actually blerk, the biggest problem was that the japanese gamers were told it’s exclusive to xbox 360″

It was exclusive to the 360. At the time.

I really don’t understand why people are making such a huge deal out of this. It’s not like extended version of JRPGs are a *new* thing. Even Eternal Sonata on the PS3 had a number of extra additions.

22. Scyrenn

Yeah, what Luthion said, I thought the lead character was well done too… :)

To each his own I guess, enjoy your big bearded manly men in Dragon Age then, pracer, I don’t care. :p

23. pracer

I used to play jrpgs like mad back in the 8 bit and 16 bit days. Dragon Warrior games used to be my favs. I still have my DW carts. My problem is that after 15 – 20yrs of playing them they get old. They share such too many cliche story lines. And as the graphics improve to the point of the chars now being able to clearly represent the jp dev artistry….we get a mixed match set of very femme and very juvenile party of chars. Some games have decent VO, but most are horrible. Add to that complete flair of the JP to be overly dramatic -
    “Whoa! Is it .. could it be .. No way! Thats my dogs long lost supper dish! Give it back! Don’t make me fight you for it! Ugh …” -
    I don’t know but call me crazy, it gets old. In the 8bit DW days the chars had Blue Hair. It wasn’t that bad. You couldn’t tell visualy that your main male char was wearing basicly a school girls dress. And a lot of the jp dialoge dramtics were smoothed out in translation. And while once in awhile you would find a “Trash Can Lid” for a shield, it was so over powering it was distracting. It was cute, w/o being sacrine sweet cute.
    Add in western rpgs … and I don’t know I just can’t get excited about a JRPG. Ironicly my fav RPGs of all time(JP speaking) is Phantasy Star Online. But I think I enjoyed the western Diablo style to the game. I know I really didn’t like the artisitic flair for which the chars were done. But the gameplay was rock solid. I have sunk thousands of hours into that thing over the various systems and versions I have played.
    But in the end, I would rather play Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3, Sacred 2, WoW, EQ2, and I can not wait to get my hands on Diablo 3. If you still enjoy jrpgs, more power to you. Being a gamer isn’t about playing what the other folks enjoy, its about enjoying the games that you play.

24. Luthion DeCosta

You’re missing the point.

Tales of Vesperia avoids a lot of those cliches.

*Especially* in the case of the main character.

25. pracer

“Do you just bitch for the sake of bitching, pracer?”

Call it what you like. I am just as entitled to my opinon and you are to yours.

26. pracer

27. theevilaires

holy shit if that isn’t the pot calling the kettle black O’Connor oops sorry I meant DeCosta

28. Luthion DeCosta

“Dude look at the freaken picture up top. Most jrpgs are a pediphiles wet dream. I down loaded the demo for my son, even he couldn’t stomach it.”

So basically, you haven’t actually played the game and are jumping to conclusions?

Got it.

29. pracer

Did you not see the part were I said I dl’d the demo?

30. Luthion DeCosta

Big difference between the demo and the full game.

31. Psychotext

Umm… I’m looking at the picture at the top of the page and I don’t see anything that even vaguely makes me think of anything related to paedophilia.

Something’s not quite right in your head pracer.

32. Luthion DeCosta

“Something’s not quite right in your head pracer.”

I was gonna say the exact same thing, except I… didn’t. If you’re seeing some paedophilic in that picture, it probably says more about you than it does about the picture…

33. pracer

How is that? Does it change the artisitic style? The VOs? They tone down the overly dramatic dialogue? Nope, doesn’t change the game at all just gives us more of it.
    Look I have read your posts in other threads, your having a bad day. Turn the pc off for a bit and take a breather. If you want to discuss the merrits of JP RPGs in the curent market we can do that. But lashing out at air, not your best move. See me later on. Ima go get some lunch.

34. pracer

Actualy I got that connection off of 1-up. I thought it was funny and thought it fit. So I point it out from time to time. Don’t try and twist shit around.

35. Luthion DeCosta

“Does it change the artisitic style?”

No, but the game still looks great.

“The VOs?”

The acting for the most part is quite decent, especially in the case of Yuri. Some minor characters grate a bit, but I’ve yet to find one that’s ear-piercingly harsh on the ears.

“They tone down the overly dramatic dialogue?”

Actually, yes. The dialogue throughout the game is actually generally sombre and character focused.

“Thats not the case here. It is what it is.”

You know this… how?

“Look I have read your posts in other threads, your having a bad day.”

I am? News to me. Me humouring TEA does =/= a bad day.

Pointing out inaccurate information is “lashing out”? Okay then. Gotta love how much people try to read into things online some times.

36. pracer

“In some cases I would agree with you that a demo and a full version do differ – esp if the game is held in dev long after the demo was made. Thats not the case here. It is what it is.”

Because teh game was already out in JP when the demo came out. The game was done. The localisation may not have been 100% complete yet, but what I was talking about there was a game like say GT5 that has had such a long dev process that the game does change from teh time it is revealed to the time it goes gold. This was a demo, of a completed game.

37. Luthion DeCosta

I think this is what is commonly called “judging a book by its cover.”

Or at least, judging a book by half a page randomly ripped from the entire novel.

38. pracer

What do want me to say? I didn’t like it. Sorry if that makes you feel sad. I dislike the standard pile of JRPGs that I rarely even try them anymore. And judging from the sales sucsess of JRPGs vs Western RPGs …I would say I am not alone.
    For every FF game there is a Fallout3. Just because I can see you going there.

The jprpg has shown very little inovation and as the jp seem to do it has resisted evolution. In many cases there is little “wrong” with the games. But there is little “new” either. And as gamer that has a few years under their controllers, I have grown tired of what is often times the same games repackaged with a different color paint.

39. Luthion DeCosta

I’m saying that Tales of Vesperia is the exception to that rule.

40. pracer

“Do you just bitch for the sake of bitching, pracer?”

Nagh you were looking for a fight. Then.

“I’m well aware of how stale the JRPG market has become. I’ve tooted that point on here many times.

I’m saying that Tales of Vesperia is the exception to that rule.”

You basicly said that you have taken the same position that I took. Pointless really. Guess we are done here.

41. Luthion DeCosta

“Nagh you were looking for a fight. Then.”

No, I was simply pointing out how your complaints were lacking in substance. Which you proved by the fact that you judged the game solely based on a very small demo. Yes, I realise the point of a demo is to convince you to buy a game, but in this case, the demo fails.

42. Scyrenn

Well I can agree with you somewhat, jrpgs don’t hold my attention like they used to anymore either, especially the PS1 days… (the FFs, Suikodens, Star Ocean 2, Breath of Fire III, Alundra… *sigh*) But this game completely blew me away, and judging it from a demo is just silly…

You call it stale and cliche, I just think of it as traditional.

Think I’ll just ignore your paedophile and ‘femme characters’ remarks, I mean wtf…

I said it once before on here somewhere, I can’t wait for FFXIII (lovely character designs on that, though I suppose you won’t agree…) but to my mind it damn sure has its work cut out for it if it wants to better Vesperia…

I also wanted to say that to me it’s blatantly obvious that ToV was a labour of love ond the developers’ part and it doesn’t surprise me in the least they wanted to do some extra work on it when given the chance… Good game to them.

You all have a good friday night now. :)

43. Luthion DeCosta

Scyrenn basically said what I was trying to say, albeit much more politely and tactfully.

Kudos, Scyrenn. *thumbs up*