Seth to be “even cheaper” in SSFIV

Wednesday, 21st October 2009 07:13 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ssfiv3

Capcom community manager Seth Killian’s told Kotaku that Super Street Fighter IV’s end boss will be annoying enough to make you stamp your joypad to death. He didn’t actually say that, but what the hey.

He did say this: “Seth will be even cheaper and more irritating” than he was in SFIV.

Heartening. Why?

“This is the most fan-responsive game in Capcom’s history,” Killian said.

The game’s out next year. You may as well start getting riled now.

1. Freek

Maybe it’s just me but the “cheap fighting game end boss” ranks very highly on my list of “stuff I hate about games”.

2. DUFFKING

I think the whole point of cheap fighting game end bosses is to make it as unlike playing another human as possible. It’s like a challenge the developers set themselves.

3. Hunam

The problem we had though was we’d storm through the game in about 15 minutes and then spend the best part of an hour alone on seth. It wasn’t fun and actually the reason I never bought the game in the end.

4. Bulk Slash

I had the same experience as Hunam, I was able to work my way through the game without many problems until Seth. At that point I might as well have just put the joypad down because pressing buttons certainly didn’t make any difference to Seth. I think Capcom are making a mistake here, as it’s definitely put me off buying this update.

5. G1GAHURTZ

SFII still ranks as one of my favourite games, but I think that somewhere along the line Capcom totally lost the plot where it comes to difficulty.

I think it’s a classic case of the devs listening to the ultra hardcore and forgetting what people liked about the game in the first place.

Sometimes I imagine the conversation on setting the difficulty going something like this…

‘OK, so we’ve got Easy, Normal and Hard.’

‘No, no… I don’t like that idea. Lets make it… Hard, Ludicrously-stupidly-hard, and Nigh on impossible.’

‘What? No-one will ever go for that, surely? What about all the beginners and kids who just want to beat the game, and not have to get stuck on the 3rd or 4th fight before turning their machines off in utter frustration?’

‘Nah, forget that. We don’t care about them. You have to be an expert to play this game.’

‘Well, we can’t do nothing…’

‘OK, how about this? Take Hard, call it Easy. Take Ludicrously-stupidly-hard, call it Normal. Take Nigh on impossible, call it Hard.’

‘OK, lets do it.’

The thing is with regards to Seth though. He’s actually easy to beat when you know how. But when you play the game like that, it’s less about fighting and more about playing by numbers, which is just boring.

6. freedoms_stain

Does this mean you won’t get the ‘free round’ before Seth starts going superman on you?

7. SticKboy

8. Gekidami

I havnt came across a single person that thought Seth was a decent challenge, actually most people just hate it. So why make it even more annoying? How is this a good idea atall?

9. Michael O'Connor

If you can’t even beat Seth on Easy, that’s not the fault of the developers. That just makes you flat out bad.

“*This* is why I prefer Namco’s 1:1 fighters above all others – much more accessible and consequentially, much more FUN.”

Yeah, because Soul Blade, Devil, Ogre, and Jinpachi weren’t cheap. *at all*. Seriously? Although they did make a well-balanced end boss with Algol, at least.

10. Panipal2005

Kill Capcom with fire. Scatter their ashes into the sea.