Pachter: Borderlands has been “sent to die”

Monday, 19th October 2009 14:59 GMT By Johnny Cullen

borderlands1

Speaking in GT’s Bonus Round, Michael Pachter has said Borderlands is a game that is being “sent to die”.

The Wedbush Morgan analyst insists that the FPSRPG combo from Gearbox has missed its window of opportunity and will get its “butt” kicked from Dragon Age: Origins and Modern Warfare 2.

“Sent to die. I think Borderlands is the definition of a game that should have had its own window and not be up against all this stuff. It’s absolutely the same audience. I don’t think it’s as much an RPG as they would like us to believe,” said Pachter.

“If it’s an RPG, Dragon Age is going to kick its butt; and if it’s a shooter, Call of Duty or something else is going to kick its butt.”

The game is out this week in the US and UK for the PS3, 360 and PC.

Thanks, Wearetheinternetz and mescalineeyes.

1. blackdreamhunk

patcher we will see about that.

2. fear_itself

Can we ever know though? Would sales have been higher had it released at a different, less crowded, time of year? Well, only if it absolutely tanks can we speculate on that.

3. Filofax

Looking forward to Borderlands. Pachter is as bad as Bobby Kotick, full of shite.

4. mescalineeyes

I think Borderlands doesn’t have the best release date, but I think given the fact that 360 guys have almost nothing to play right now (ODST has almost been a month), and Brütal Legend didn’t exactly set the world on fire from a gameplay perspective, Borderlands could do OK if people recognize how good it is.

5. mescalineeyes

Also, there’s certainly a few people who are going to switch their pre-orders from Borderlands to MW2-PC after the whole dedicated server fiasco.

6. Blerk

Surely it would only be ‘sent to die’ if Dragon Age and Call of Duty were actually on sale already? As it stands neither are due for release just yet so Borderlands could grab a few weeks of sales quite nicely. It’s also neither full-on shooter nor full-on RPG, so it could quite happily straddle the middle ground.

What did he expect them to do with it, though? Delay it until Q1 when it’ll be up against Mass Effect and Bioshock 2?

7. G1GAHURTZ

I don’t even know what this game is supposed to be!

It looks rubbish.

Oh, and I hate that picture, too.

8. mescalineeyes

Blerk: I am not going to say that the game couldn’t have been a lot better if they polished it until, say, next august?

Seriously, they could’ve at least implement a physics system. Also, every part where you are driving is super dodgy.

The UI is also a bit too much at times, especially in split screen.

Game’s still great and all, but it’s not like a delay wouldn’t have benefitted both sales and quality, and with a metacritic of 90+ instead of 80+ it would’ve been even less of a bomba-contender.

9. ScreenTearing

I couldn’t disagree more with Pachter, again…

Borderlands is unique enough to avoid all of this competing with Dragon Age or MW2 because it’s not the same audience at all.

The problem with Borderlands is that like almost every new IP right now, it’s going to fail in sales but not because of the competition.

Even new quality IP’s coming from Microsoft, Sony or EA and their big marketing campaigns fail at sales. Even a great title like Dead Space that it’s probably the new standard in the action-horror genre, bombed in the sales department.

People that are looking forward to Borderlands are going to buy it because they want a game like this. It has an unique art design, it’s a middle ground RPG-FPS, 4-player co-op easy in-and-out. I don’t see any game that offers exactly the same thing and it’s clearly not the same as Dragon Age or MW2.

BTW, I don’t think Dragon Age: Origins is going to sell very well, surely not at the level that’s going to threaten other games.

10. DaMan

really looking forward to this game.

11. Phoenixblight

Dead space sold horribly? It sold 1.5 million thats pretty good for a new IP. Dragon Age will sell well with a backing of the creator of Baldur’s Gate one of the acclaimed best rpgs ever. Then you have MW2…

12. CrashOberbreit

hahaha fail. played borderlands on the gamescom and it IS a rpg :)

13. theevilaires

I’ll buy it just because he said otherwise. As great as MW is you can’t let it beat up on everything littler than itself. Plus I had a reputation as a bully killer in school, so naturally I’ll support Borderlands with a day 1 purchase fuck it why not.

14. freedoms_stain

I would have thought that Borderlands would sell well to the console crowd better than DA:O.

15. Psychotext

Talks a lot this guy.

16. mescalineeyes

played borderlands on the gamescom and it IS a rpg

Borderlands was not playable at GamesCom, that was PAexpo.

17. Mauller

I’m grabbing Borderlands first thing tomorrow. This guy is full of shit. I’ll still also be buying Dragon Age and MW2. Maybe he should be “sent to die.”

18. joseangelhe

Funny how I personally never planned on getting Modern Warfare 2.

Uncharted 2
    Demon’s Souls
    Borderlands &
    Dragon Age for this month

19. SunKing

I think Pachter’s probably right. Borderlands has “critcally acclaimed; sales disaster” written all over it. I hope, for Gearbox’s sake, that I’m wrong.

20. The Hindle

I was intrested in this but then i found out it doesnt have much of a story will wait for some reviews me thinks

21. Monk

I think that Borderlands is a [ New Experience ]
    we well see it in this Generation as Bioshock.

22. El_MUERkO

i think patcher has a point, i feel dirty now :(

23. endgame

still, i’m going to buy it and enjoy it. :D

24. mescalineeyes

I think that Borderlands is a [ New Experience ]
    we well see it in this Generation as Bioshock.

no, no, no, no.

25. Monk

“no, no, no, no.”

why ? why ? why ? why ?

26. scuz

Pachter likes bums

27. mescalineeyes

It is nothing like BioShock.
    comparing Borderlands to Bioshock is like comparing Diablo to Baldur’s Gate

28. BBGunner420

For everyone that isn’t from Canada, all the major retailers have been advertising this game for the last couple of weeks now and all are selling it for 39.99. And when I mean everywhere (Walmart, Bestbuy, Futureshop, etc) any and all major electronics store. This should do well if the same is being applied in other countries, but I know chances are slim to none because of how each country is treated different when it comes to retailing video games.

29. Michael O'Connor

“also, if you really think so, you are a tool. RPG players are just going to LOVE the fact that 1 class has essentially 1 ability.”

This sounds to me like someone who hasn’t even played the game.

There’s a *huge* amount of depth and customisation – arguing that one class only has 1 ability is not only false, but it completely ignores the huge depth of the talent trees, and the fact that your weapons are literally characters of their own, to be build up and customised.

From a pure gameplay perspective, Borderlands has a huge amount of depth. If you’re an RPG nut that appreciates deep mechanics and number crunching, you could do a lot worse than this game.

30. Monk

“comparing Borderlands to Bioshock is like comparing Diablo to Baldur’s Gate’

it`s not comparing, I said only it`s New Experience
    Like what we saw it in Bioshock, [ NEW ] not it`s Like Boishock, it`s mean it`s different than Bioshock
    because it have a unique Style which is a [ New Experience ].

31. Gekidami

Bioshock is a new experience? You know, i’ve never played System Shock, but isnt BioShock just a dumped down, prettier version of that with a different setting?

32. mescalineeyes

This sounds to me like someone who hasn’t even played the game.

check my achievements on live, same gamertag as my username.
    did you play the game?

Don’t get me wrong, I fucking LOVE the game, I am just now taking a break from it, but trust me, it’s not even as deep as, say, Diablo, but it’s perfect for what it is.

33. frostquake

Such your Pie Hole, You Industry Monkey..I will buy all 3…If games keep getting pushed back because they don’t want to interfere with another games window…then games will come out even slower then they do now….

34. Blerk

Ha ha! Congrats on another fine prediction, Mr Pachter!

“Borderlands Demand Causing Retail Shortages”

:-D

35. Filofax

Nice find Blerk, stupid Pachter thinks he’s the new mother shipton.

36. Blerk

It’s think they could actually be onto a big winner. The buzz surrounding this at the minute is huge, much bigger than I was expecting.