DICE: Dedicated servers are a “given”

Monday, 19th October 2009 12:11 GMT By Johnny Cullen

battlefieldbadcompany10

Executive producer for Battlefield at DICE Karl-Magnus Troedsson has tweeted his support for dedicated servers, saying it’s a “given for them”.

“Dedicated servers FTW. What ever secures a better online experience is a given for us.”

It comes as Infinity Ward confirmed over the weekend that Modern Warfare 2 for the PC will not be using dedicated servers, and will be using it’s own matchmaking system.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is released in March 2010.

1. loki

Not interesting in this game. I saw all this 1,5 years ago. Bad company 1,4 (not 2) for PC idiots

2. David Sarkisjan

loki, you are in the wrong news post, go here http://tinyurl.com/yk3xgks

3. G1GAHURTZ

Cheap. Very cheap.

How desperate can you get to steal customers!?

4. tonynibbles

Server browser FTW

5. G1GAHURTZ

Actually, that’s quite ironic when you think about the mess that BF1942 created when hardly anyone was even able to play it for days after release because the servers were so messed up.

6. endgame

w/e if they support it it’s gd news. i was going to buy this anyway.

7. pracer

This is a game I will own day one. I really don’t like CoD too much. I think “perks” upset the gameplay balance and ruin the fun. I’ll take Battlefield anyday.

As for why BF1942 did that, was because they(Dice/ea) were told what to expect in terms of buyers/server capacity from Sony/MS. Needless to say those estemates where a tad .. low. As such they couldn’t fit all of the people wanting to play online. Not a bad problem to have really, yet, not a good one either.

8. DarkElfa

But Dice, nobody wants to play your game because you guys are puds.

9. Schrades09

To G1GAHURTZ,

stealing customers? maybe… but not one PC gamer I know wants to play XBox Live on a PC. If they wanted to, they would have just gone out and wasted their money on a consel. Not having dedicated server support = FAIL. IW should know that seeing that for COD:MW, there are still over 6000 servers online. Why would you ever cut off that support? Pick me, I KNOW!! because IW doesn’t give a damn about PC gamers, in fact, they should probably focus strictly on consel games, seeing that they already showed PC gamers the finger. Also, it would have been so easy to keep support, seeing that MW2 is based off the same engine as the first one. IW = FAIL. Thanks for doing something right DICE/EA

10. G1GAHURTZ

I’m certainly not going to defend IW’s apparent diss to PC gamers by any means.

It’s certainly a very risky move by them, and if I was a PC only gamer, I’d probably be making the loudest noises about how unhappy I was on the entire internet.

My point was that I think that it’s pretty cheap that DICE seem to be jumping on the news and trying to get up into the faces of CoD fans.

They’re like: ‘Hey, look at us! We make a shooter too, and we’ll never do to you what IW is doing… Buy our game instead!’

They’re try to have a dig at IW and take potential customers at the same time, and that seems like quite a cheap shot to me.

11. Schrades09

Well in that light, I completely understand where you are coming from. At the same time however, just like any other market, its a competative market. When your competition makes a mistake, as I believe IW has done, you capitalize on it. Do I think what they did is completely right? No. Is it completely wrong? Not at all. It is a business afterall, and every business want to turn a profit. Maybe IW will reconsider, and if they don’t, then we (PC gamers) truely will know how they view us.

12. Dralen

@Schrades09

Totally agreed.

13. doctorstrange

While he is obviously just trying to steal limelight he does have a point

14. pracer

My two cents:

Why shouldn’t DICE do that? This a biz after all, and if you have something that the other guy doesn’t … wouldn’t you want the potential consumer to know that? I think a lot of people are so taken in by CoD that wanna smell roses that just ain’t in bloom.
    Now I like Battlefield, prefer it to CoD infact. I don’t like perks, esp ones that allow a player to snip me(w/a headshot) through a solid wall. Call me crazy, but that pretty much ends the whole conversation right there. Unbalanced to say the lest. Just getting that out there.
    Because CoD MW2 will have a higher price tag.
    Because CoD will not have dedicated servers.
    If I was DICE, forget the perk problem, I would make sure everyone knew those two things.
    Ya can’t get mad at DICE for something stupid thats being done by activision. I mean its Acti.
    Just keep in mind that these two games are pretty much gonna be offering the same type of gaming experience. You should have all of the infomation avalible to you, before you pull that triger … is all I am saying.