360 update to ditch non-MS memory units

Monday, 19th October 2009 22:09 GMT By Patrick Garratt

360mu

Nelson’s confirmed that unMicrosoft 360 storage devices won’t work with the machine when its November software update goes live.

“One of the changes is that unauthorized Memory Units will no longer work with the Xbox 360,” said the exec.

“If you’ve moved your profile or saved games onto one to ‘back it up,’ you’d better move it back onto an authorized Xbox 360 storage device prior to taking the update.

“If you continue to use an unauthorized Memory Unit after the update, you will not be able to access your stored profile or saved games.”

Nice.

For a look at some of the update’s features in action, take a look at this.

1. Gekidami

Jeez, talk about a lame way to force people to buy your ‘official’ crap.

2. SilentLoner

as so microsoft tighten their belts

3. freedoms_stain

This is one of the things I hate about the 360.

You can buy over 500GB worth of high quality SATA2 internal 3.5″ hard drive for MS piffling 60GB and over 1TB for their 120GB.

And why? For that sleek MS casing?

4. Mattigan

Lol, glad I picked my 120GB up for £30 when I had the chance!

5. Jadeskye

Yeah theres no reason i couldn’t just get a 2tb drive and connect it other then greed on ms’s part.

freedoms i still hate you btw.

6. Dralen

Well that just really fooking crap!

7. Psychotext

I’m sure we had this news before, so I’ll say what I believe I said then…

…I had no idea there were non MS memory devices available for the 360.

8. Patrick Garratt

Bollocks. I couldn’t find it.

/looks again

9. freedoms_stain

Jadeskye, you can lick my mage’s staff!

Dragon Age innuendo, ba-doom-tish!

10. mescalineeyes

if Pat can’t find it, it’s worth a double post. I guess people should know and go out to buy whatever they need before the inevitable update hits and makes their stuff useless and their data unnecessarily hard to recover.

11. mescalineeyes

Also, if I understand correctly, you can still do the thing where you flash a SATA hard-drive with the correct firmware and put it in the HD bay, this is just about those 4GB memory units.

12. Patrick Garratt

Sorry, I’m being a spastic. It’s not hard drives, it’s third-party memory units he’s talking about. I’ve edited it.

13. The Benny

You’re being a LEGENDary spastic though, so it’s okay.

14. doctorstrange

Either way it sucks

15. Khanivor

Maybe Spazy McSpazerton should think about handing back his gong ;)

16. Uncontested

M$ fucking the little guy yet again, go figure.

17. pracer

Dumb freaken move. I don’t know after reading this, maybe the 100usd for a year of LIVE might be true after all.

18. frostquake

Well lick a Sheeps Weenie till it is Purple…Wait they are purple??? Or is that Pigs…Oh wait Pigs weenies are cork screwed…Wow been awhile since I been on the farm..MS why oh why won’t you let us buy third party hardware…They would develop Terabyte Hard Drives for us at the price of your 120s and we would spend tons of MS Points buying Tons of More Crap from you, don’t you see it is a win win situation??

19. Blerk

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an official memory card, never mind a third-party one.