Uncharted 2 would have been “very different game” without Blu-ray, HD, Cell

Friday, 16th October 2009 11:51 GMT By Patrick Garratt

uncharted7

Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells has told VG247 that Uncharted 2 wouldn’t have been the game it eventually became without PS3′s unique hardware features.

The exec added, though, that differences between PS3 and Xbox 360 games, in the main, are more the cause of developer talent that hardware factors.

“I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3,” said Wells, talking in an interview published today.

“Great programmers and great artists are going to make a great game. Naughty Dog will continue to push the PlayStation hardware as far as we can.

“We’re fortunate that we get to work on a system that has a hard drive and uses blu-ray for storage. Without these things, Uncharted 2 would have been a very different game. What we were able to do with the Cell processor allowed us to achieve a density of polygons and a fidelity to our effects that would simply not be possible without it.

“But ultimately, if we didn’t have a team of very talented programmers and artists, we wouldn’t have been able to take advantage of the hardware and achieve the results that we did.”

Uncharted 2, the highest-rated PS3 exclusive of all time, is available in the UK from today.

1. G1GAHURTZ

2. Jadeskye

So basically without HD graphics, a high storage capacity and a powerful cpu the game would have been different.

I’m blown away.

3. Blerk

It’s really mean that Sony make developers do this. I don’t believe for a minute they do it off their own backs and it just belittles what they’ve achieved.

4. Dralen

I want it now! Grrr stupid work lol.

5. El_MUERkO

a few years ago this would have caused murderous fan boys to burn him in effigy, now i think people have tired of the console war and grunt at this kind of thing

i’ll say this though, when someone develops exclusively for one platform the results can be astounding, Uncharted 2 blows me away, an absolute feast for the eyes

6. evilashchris

I’d normally call bullshit on this, but Uncharted 2 really is an outstanding piece of programming.

7. Blerk

I hope they do really well with this one. They really do seem to be pushing as hard as they can and they deserve a huge success.

8. mojo

if u can fit a programm to one particular set of hardware u can do amazing things on almost every stup.

But i would agree that still the ps3 is in the end of the day the most capable of all modern videogame hardware.

9. pracer

@Blerk
    Agreed, but its no different then Epic telling the world how wonderful MS is to have a “partener” and how they alone helped push millions of copies of Gears. It is all part of the hype monster that is modern day gaming.

@EL
    I agree too. I am very tired of the “My system can” shit. Both PS3 and XB360 do amazing games. Score one for the PS3. Just temper the thrill, not like it something that the other guy hasn’t already done several times. Perspective I guess is what people need when it comes to system war crap stuff.

@Evil
    I still call bullshit. The game size, file size of a game is dependant on many things from well/poorly written code, compression, number of cutscense, etc… The “Only on BluRay” thing is a PR thing. HD is not exclusive to one console. And neither is the Cell. In that the other guy has a powerfull CPU too. Althouth I do agree fully that the Wii could not do UC2 nearly as well as ND did on PS3. I don’t think we would have seen a big, if even noticable difference between a ND made PS3 and xb360 version. It would have likly used the unreal engine on xb360 instead of NDs own, or maybe not. But I think top teir talent like the folks at ND could make a great game on whatever system they chose to use. Anything beyond that is HYPE and PR. In otherwords Bullshit.

10. [TD]

I do call bullshit on that.

>>We’re fortunate that we get to work on a system that has a hard drive and uses blu-ray for storage.

Uncharted 2 uses very little disk space and does not require installation, no? Then WTF?

11. Gekidami

It still uses the HDD to stream stuff, it just dosnt keep all of it installed on the hard drive. Drakes Fortune did the same.

12. Robo_1

@Blerk

I don’t think he was shilling it too much in all honesty. He was asked a fairly direct question about PS3 vs 360 performance, and he didn’t belittle the 360, he merely said they couldn’t have done what they’ve done without certain PS3 hardware attributes.

I think that’s fair comment, and given the simply phenomenal work they’ve done with U2, I’m inclined to believe him.

13. SticKboy

Surely the proof of the graphical pudding will be when CryEngine 3 comes out on both systems?

14. mescalineeyes

all the bickering aside, I don’t think that, as of now, you can show me a game on 360 that comes even close to this. It’s just… wow.

15. Blerk

@Robo_1
    They always sound like they’re reading from a prepared script, though. It’s not just Sony that do it, Microsoft do it too. I just wish everyone would let the developers say what they like without having to cover all the PR checkboxes when they do it.

16. Robo_1

For sure they’ve done it in the past, but given the context of the question asked and what they’ve achieved, I think he’s being honest.

Honest question, how would you rather they answer a question like that? They were asked a technical question, surely it’s reasonable that they give a technical answer back.

17. pracer

@Mesca

Yea your so right. I nor anyone else can show you a better looking game. I need to get me a pair of those rose colored glasses too.

18. mescalineeyes

pracer, please, go ahead. right now, show me a better looking game than Uncharted 2.

I am sure that down the line it will be possible, but I think Naughty Dog wins this holiday season when it comes to graphics.

19. Robo_1

You know he’s going to come back with a screen grab of Crysis. :D

20. bxsentinel

@pracer

I think you said it best; lots of this my system can do what yours cant is over hype. yeah uncharted 2 looks great,i been playing it all week but lets not go overboard and start acting like xbox isnt capable of something nearly as impressive looking or playing for that matter.At the end of the day its really more of a matter of how good the developers are and how much effort they put into it…

21. JonFE

Well, if you ask me, Naughty Dog is a very talented team and I’m quite positive that if the situation was reversed and they were part of x360 stable, their output would be equally impressive :)

22. pracer

Its not ugly. And I am not going to get drawn into a system debate. But there is more to a game then eye candy. Yes you said graphics, but how many things moving on the screen at one time has a lot to do with how much polish can be put into a single game screen. Its a trade off, always has been. For example Halo3 uses lower res, texture, and even poly counts. But it four player split screen too. And no I am not comparing Halo3 graphics to UC2 nor am I comparing xb360 to PS3, so stop it. I am giving an example of a point.

23. theevilaires

Just finish this last night and O.M.G. BUY OR DIE. If this game does not get GOTY then the gaming industry is wacked.
    Every moment of this game is pure awesomeness.

24. pracer

How long is the single player? Better to rent or buy. I am guessing rent.

25. mescalineeyes

its more of a rental, yea.

26. theevilaires

Hey Blerk come on man don’t you think its time to get a PS3 seriously? instead of calling out ND or Sony why won’t you put them to the test and go out buy a PS3 uncharted 2 bundle then complain.

UC2 has no installs, and is damn near seamless. You guys have bitched about the PS3 hardware for the past 3 years and it continues to outperform another console that has been out for four years and still can’t match the quality of a 3 year system.

Don’t say shit about UC2 unless you have played it. Plain and simple.

27. theevilaires

Pracer WTF the hype got you eh. Ok whatever, if you just want trophies yea rent. If you appreciate real games, the hard work devs put in them then BUY! UC2 is worth every penny of $60. Going for the platinum is very easy and a lot of fun.

SUPPORT THE MEDIUM YOU LOVE GUYS.
    SUPPORT THE GAMES INDUSTRY BY BUYING GREAT GAMES LIKE UC2.

28. pracer

Theev

Take a deep breath man. Relax. Let go of your anger. I am glad you enjoyed your game. But someone could give you the same advice you gave Blerk. If you only own one system your gonna miss out on some very good games. No matter what side of the coin your on.

As far as UC2 goes. I am going to rent it(good call Mesca). I played the demo/beta with everyone else. I just don’t like the multiplayer at all, 5 vs 5 is not gonna cut for me anymore. And keep in mind, UC2 is one game. One game. From top teir talent at ND. But it is … one … game. One. I can think of other PS3 games I enjoy, but I can also think of 50 plus xb360 games that I also enjoyed. If I didn’t already own a PS3, I wouldn’t be honestly recomending the system based on one game. Once the system had a stable of exclusive games, then I could recomend it. Again just relax, your going to blow a vien or something lol.

29. Eregol

Robo_1 said

I wholeheartedly agree, and would have posted sooner as I couldn’t figure out how to phrase it.

30. pleasant_cabbage

I played the first few levels and agree that it’s a lovely thing, but I also agree with comment 22 from Pracer.

There’s very little actually going on in the opening levels: – SLIGHT SPOILER -
    esp the train level – you can only go one way and there is nothing dynamic going on at all, it’s all so scripted and feels like Dragon’s Lair in the most impressive bits I’ve seen, so far. SO FAR.

31. SticKboy

Why does a discussion about the merits of a particular game have to turn into *yet another* frigging console war? ARGH!

(Just for the record: yes, it *is* very good, it’s by far and away the best looking console game I’ve ever played and I’ll almost certainly end up getting it – eventually.)

32. Eregol

@pracer
    There are plenty of other games worth recommending a PS3 for dude.

I don’t own a 360, but I’m pretty sure I could easily recommend a few games worth getting on there as well.

Uncharted 2 is more of a Buy game. There’s too much content to consider it a rental.

Games like Prototype, Mercenaries and Dark Sector are more like rental games. Uncharted 2 has done more than enough to warrant not being lumped in a category with them.

33. pracer

It just seems like the single player is a tad short. Kind of a disturbing trend these day. Short games with LOTS of DLC.
    For me to drop the 60usd, I need to really get into the multiplayer aspect or the game has to have tremendous replay value. I own a few sport games, a cple online shooters, etc. But for every Civ Rev, NCAA Football, Battlefield Bad Company, Warhawk, and Race Pro, there is a massive pile of games I just won’t touch after a once through. Can’t wait to get brutal legend, but it isn’t something I am going to buy. In the end I will gamefly UC2, play the single player, and go from there(prolly on to my next q’d game).

34. theevilaires

What anger pracer? let go of your stupidity. You’re the same guy that said he hated UC2 but yet you’re trolling around because the UC2 has lived up to the hype and crushed it. Unlike your precious 360 games you prefer.

35. Eregol

@pracer
    Short?
    12 hours is short?
    Halo: ODST clocks in at 6 hours. Do you consider that to be a rental game?
    It’s longer than the orginal Uncharted 2, which i could never have finished during a rental period or 2.
    I also believe Brutal Legend as good as it may be has a lower play time as well.

36. Gekidami

Theres about 10-15 hours of SP in the game, for an adventure game thats long and alot longer then most other single-mission games out there.
    Saying thats short is just ridiculous, i’d agree if it was an RPG or an open-world game but its not.

37. Eregol

@theevilaires
    You make accusations of trolling then finish your post with ‘Unlike your precious 360 games you prefer.’ Which in itself is a form of trolling.
    You’re better off spending your time waxing lyrical on Uncharted 2 and singing it’s praises than belittling others.

NB. Yes I compared it to other games, but only in terms of play time. This is not belittling to those games in the slightest :-)

38. mescalineeyes

LETS NOT BRING ODST INTO THIS!!!!!!!

39. theevilaires

OH brother, you,stickbot,and tonka need to get a motel room and release any sexual tension you guys have toward each other. Its the same shit over and over. Once a PS3 exclusive beats the hell out of anything the 360 has to offer XBOTS must be the judge and jury of the final decision whether its good or not. PA..THE..TIC!

40. Eregol

@theev
    Please tell me you weren’t refering to me in post 39 were you?
    If you were you obviously haven’t really read any of my posts.

41. theevilaires

i was talking about pracer,stickboy,and tonka

42. mescalineeyes

@theev: if he doesn’t like the multiplayer, I don’t think he’d be very happy with spending $60 on the game. personally, I will invest a good 10 hours into mp alone so it’s cool. I bought a copy, even though I am on Sony’s promo list, so I did my part.

43. Eregol

Ok.
    *hugs*

44. theevilaires

I have a question for all the 360 only owners out there.
    How much did you pay for your first 360 and what games did you buy for it the very same day?

Go ahead answer that question.

45. Bojangles

Why not? The point was being made about games with short SP components. It was a relevent reference – a platform exclusive, franchise installment that’s been well reviewed. It’s a perfectly apt title to use as a comparison.

46. theevilaires

mes, the multiplayer is the same as the SP. the only difference is you’re going up against other human players. Also there’s co-op and competitive modes. It’s just like playing the single player man only with your friends…maybe he doesn’t have any friends because they are busy enjoying time with their grandchildren while he’s still trying to be the best senior citizen gamer still alive.

47. SticKboy

Wow. Just, wow. It’s like the NRA but for a hunk of plastic.

TEA – you need to learn to distinguish between people who prefer one platform over another and those who just think you can be a bit of a dick.

48. Eregol

@theev
    You’re turning this into a personal attack rather than a debate on the game or about games themselves.
    Calm down and focus on the real points rather than flaming.

49. Dralen

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I loved the first game and if you’ve played that game then you know that the single player experience in UC2 is going to be worth the money on its own. I also played the beta multiplayer and i enjoyed it so much i wouldn’t mind paying £60 for this game.

50. G1GAHURTZ

50!!!

Do I win a prize!?

51. Eregol

@Dralen
    $60 is £40. Same as we pay over here in Blighty.
    But yes, you are right. The SP campaign is well worth the money in it’s own right, and the MP grows on you considerably and works a lot better than Metal Gear Solid 4′s online mode.

52. Gekidami

You win a virtual donut: O

…We’re all out of cookies.

53. G1GAHURTZ

Is that ‘cos you ate ‘em all!?

Smelly belly!

54. theevilaires

I’m not turning anything into a personal attack. Its just sad that when a great game like UC2 has to be put down because it’s only on the PS3 is just annoying. The same will happen when GT5 is released, when GoW3 is released, and when UC3 is released. Instead of them actually going out and buying a PS3 since they claim they are gamers and not fanboys they make excuses to why they won’t try the game.

Pracer: Oh I don’t want the game cause the MP sucks.
    Excuses Excuses Excuses

55. DaMan

@ Eregol Mercs, Prototype rentals? are you kidding me?

56. Eregol

@DaMan
    I found that they supplied me with little enjoyment.

They may be sandboxes. That doesn’t stop them being shallow.

57. Eregol

Anyway. Slow news day today eh?

58. DaMan

well, that’s your opinion. I’ve clocked like 60 hours in Mercs2.

anyway, I just can’t see the point in renting sandbox games.

59. Eregol

I bought Mercs 2 for a tenner.
    I’ve racked up less hours than a rental would have given me. In fact, if I had rented it, I’m sure I would have played it more than I currently have as the limited time I would have had with it would have driven me on.

Who knows, pracer may rent U2 and decide that he wants to buy it. Rental isn’t a complete one way street.
    I’d recommend he buy it flat out really as it is truly stonking.

60. CroKiller

I like more X360 and games on X360 and I have PS3 and to be honest this is the best nextgen game. Far better than any game today on the market. Masterpiece. Graphic – there is no word which could describe graphic in Uncharted 2.

61. mescalineeyes

“this is the best nextgen game”

no offense, but there is nothing next-gen about Uncharted 2, except for how amazing the visuals and sound design are.

62. SticKboy

Oh man. TEA, I’m amazed how you manage to conflate such separate issues as people’s reactions to Uncharted 2 and me complaining about the amount of platform fanboy bullshit on VG247.

I don’t need to qualify myself, but here goes anyway – when have I said anything negative about Uncharted 2 (other than in comparison to AC2)? In fact, since it’s relevant, when have I ever said anything positive about Halo: ODST? The *reason* I’ve not got a PS3 yet is because I’m waiting for the inevitable wand bundle, ‘cos I’m hoping GoW3 has wand support (blades of chaos with wand control would be mind-meltingly stupendous, IMHO). That and the fact I’ve got a stack of games still in their shrink-wrap I’ve yet to start, so I’m no hurry to buy anything just at the mo’ (AC2 aside).

So come on – bring on your next spurious personal attack. That’s your role here, right? Oh and do try to remember that the only game of which I can legitimately be called a fanboy is cross-platform and started life as a PS3 exclusive.

…and if anybody disses AC2 then I’ll type out some very angry words on my keyboard.

63. theevilaires

Maybe he just got a PS3 and this is next gen to him MES. You know there’s still 100 million PS2 owners out there not accounted for that haven’t bought a PS3 yet.

64. theevilaires

I’ll answer your question when you answer mine.

65. Eregol

@mesca
    I believe he may have been refering to the console generation as next gen. Not necessarily all aspects of Uncharted 2.
    It’s all about the context my friend.

66. mescalineeyes

fair enough, even I have to admit, UC2 is definitely ON a next-gen console ;)

67. SticKboy

What? Um.. dude, what question? I see no question marks in any of your posts.

68. G1GAHURTZ

Where is bdh to show us some real graphics?

69. mescalineeyes

I think there’s way too much going on here, considering you could be playing Uncharted 2 right now. No excuses.

70. theevilaires

comment #44 take your face out of Aaron Greeturd ass and read everything I type. Not just the words “UC2 shits on everything 360 has to offer”.

71. CroKiller

@mescalineeyes

“I think we should applaud naughty dog for what they’ve created, but also urge them to innovate more.”

This is the true but than, which game is for You next-gen? I didn’t saw any original next-gen game that is something new in gaming world.

Maybe Borderlands will be something different but I’m not sure. Maybe Demon Soul’s? Maybe Heavy Rain and Last Guardian?

72. theevilaires

I’m done UC2 Mes, I’m just reading the reactions from the haters who will lie about how awesome it is even though they never played it. Or is not willing because its against their xbox religion to touch or own anything PlayStation.

73. mescalineeyes

which game is for You next-gen?

good question. I guess when it comes to gameplay, this gen was more of an evolution than a revolution. I honestly can’t think of one game atm. that is truly only doable on this gen’s hardware.

74. mescalineeyes

anyway, I’m at chapter 23, time to finish this bad boy up. Kinda hoping the end isn’t all too near :/

75. Mike

Lots of homoeroticism going on in here.

I like it!

76. SticKboy

Oh, right. I didn’t actually pay for my first X360, although it wasn’t a gift either. Um… first games I think were… Jesus, I really can’t remember. I remember playing Prey and Crackdown pretty early on. Tbh, I was pretty jaded by this gen until BioShock, Mass Effect and Assassin’s Creed came out.

I bought my Elite in Dec ’07. I can’t remember what I paid (around £200?), I honestly wasn’t paying attention at the time – I don’t keep track of these things. Yes, the little fuckers broken down on me (just the once, thankfully and not RRoD – it had an accumulation of dust, apparantly), and I wasn’t particularly happy to be without it for three weeks either.

Btw, I can think of no better time to buy a PS3 than right now – the console has really come into its own in a big in the last six months (although its OS needs a helluva lot more work, IMHO). I’m looking forward to getting one next year when the wand bundle comes out. It’ll be nice to actually play some PS3 games in my own time and when I;m not round at a friends place.

77. ScreenTearing

Here we go again.

There is nothing on this interview that should lead to “console warz” but you guys still find a way to do it.

78. theevilaires

lol chapter 23, nope the game is still much longer there’s 26 in all

79. theevilaires

thanks for not answering my question and proving you’re nothing more than a troll.

80. SticKboy

I see what you did there, TEA. Very funny! Hoisted by my own petard as it were. Back underneath the bridge I go!

81. Galactic_Barret

Why does this only happen on PS3 exclusive threads? Seriously. And its always people who either don’t own the game or system that are bitching about something. UC2 uses the HDD constantly and MS doesn’t allow HDD required games that aren’t MMOs (FFXI). ND has crafted the best looking console game so far, yet when Evan says the game would be different on the 360 (not even impossible), you have the usual suspects yelling BS and so forth. The only game to come close is on the same system, and still the same 4-5 people feel like they have the technical knowledge to discredit someone who actually works in this field. I never see this type of “discussion” about 360 games, save for F3.

Where is the damn respect, as gamers? This is an achievement on a technical and, many would say, story-telling level and some of you just refuse to acknowledge it. All this talk of hating fanboys and such, and some of you exhibit their key feature: Denial. Get over yourselves and your pettiness and give the man his goddamn due.

82. Eregol

Amen

83. theevilaires

and don’t come back until I call you for dinner…no listen the point is to “everyone” don’t be so judgmental about a game you haven’t played yet. Just because the previous installment wasn’t up to your standards doesn’t mean the sequel automatically has the same flaws. I’m looking at you Pracer.

I don’t even know how all this shit started and I don’t care. All I know is I finished UC2 and loved every second of it. If you can take some loser’s word over at IGN about how good the game is then you can at least take and respect mine too. I would never mislead anyone here. Its just not my character. Rent,Play,Buy UC2 you won’t regret it.

84. SticKboy

Oh, fuck this for a game of soldiers. You only read what you *want* to read TEA, not what I actually typed.

85. theevilaires

you tell em Galactic. That’s what I was trying to say from the beginning but got side tracked and jumped by the 360 fanboys. MARK MY WORD! When GT5,GoW3,Heavy Rain,MAG,Last Guardian,and many other announced PS3 exclusives come out there will be the same people talking crap.

GO BUY A PS3 and STFU!

86. Mike

Stop talking about PlayStation. It’s embarrassing.

87. SticKboy

I’ve gotta be honest, but MAG, GT5, Heavy Rain and Last Guardian hold no appeal for me whatsoever. But then again, neither does Alan Wake or Forza 3.

The only platform exclusives I *really* care about are GoW and Halo: Reach. I’m just not fussed about anything else, although Uncharted, Infamous and Crackdown are a lot of fun.

88. theevilaires

Stop blowing M$ all the time. Its gay.

89. SticKboy

I don’t know if you’re trying to be funny or if you’re just acting retarded. Then again, most retards act pretty funny, so… either way you win!

90. Galactic_Barret

TEA, don’t get it confused, I’m in no way taking your side. As absolutely, completely, purely and utterly retarded it is (I wish I could fully convey how asinine this is and how stupid I think whoever says this is) to not want a PS3 because of fanboys, you are making it worse, without a doubt. Honestly, I wish you would just stop posting the annoying crap you do. You just perpetuate the cycle of idiocy and moronic misconceptions for no other reason than their stupid comments slighted you in the past. Its a really poor excuse to bash anyone or anything, and I cringe at the thought that only owning a PS3 suddenly makes me amongst the worst fanboys according to the press and gamers in general. You give me a bad name by second-hand association and I hate it. I’m sticking up for this game and the devs that worked their asses off to create. You are in no way included in that. Sorry, but I just can’t respect someone who would disrespect any game or console due to personal preference. Its pathetic. Grow up.

91. DarkElfa

The PS3 may be a great console, but Sony as a company are douche bags when it comes to its sellers and developers.

92. MushroomStamp

What the hell?? There are NO NEXT GEN games.. cuz there isn’t NEXT GEN…. everything has been out for years.. so it’s CURRENT GEN games.. Next-Gen would be xbox 720 or PS4 …

93. Galactic_Barret

I wish I could rehabilitate you myself, but I’ve come to realize that the anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in people. I don’t understand you. I no longer wish to try. I just want this crap to stop.

I’m willing to call out every single offender, I don’t even care about their views of me anymore. I came here from an absolute cesspool, and you all are ruining a utopia over an imaginary grudge. I don’t want to referee grown ass men and women, but I will if it keeps this place clean. There are much better places to act like dumbasses; I suggest 1UP. There, you can argue with other people who claim to be real gamers yet only use them to act like assholes.

I need some damn sleep. All this idiocy is giving me a headache.

94. mescalineeyes

so uhm, chapter 25 sucks. I am done with this game for now.
    Was a good ride up until now though.

95. theevilaires

Congrats on trying to be a hero Barret. Wasn’t it you I owned and made cry a few days ago. I thought you said you were never going to return. Anyway get some sleep, when idiots like you think too much you tend to get headaches.

Mes, you couldn’t pass chapter 25 so you gave up. That’s all that had to be said. You get some sleep too.

Oh I forgot and stickboy for someone calling another person a retard you sure took your time editing that misspelled poorly written post in comment 89. I see you’ve made changes…oh the irony :P

96. Howie Feltersnatch

Shut the fuck up each and every one of you prick fucks. Uncharted 2 is bloody awesome – so is PS3 – so is Xbox360 – and so is your mothers cunt.

97. mescalineeyes

Mes, you couldn’t pass chapter 25 so you gave up.

this man speaks the truth. I hang my head in shame.

98. theevilaires

i know a loser when i see his “text”

99. Edward Cullen

just finished Uncharted 2. It’s EPIC.

100. No_PUDding

Yeah I just finished it too.

But I hate gamign all night. I will ahve no enegry tomorrow :(

STILL… It was indeed epic. So much wtfery.

101. Galactic_Barret

No, TEA. You have never owned me nor have I vowed to leave the site. I would never do that, especially over something as juvenile as an internet quarrel. As a matter of fact, I believe this is the first time I’ve formally addressed you.

I would love to get into your head to know why you cause so many unnecessary arguments. Is it purely for attention? Do you get enjoyment from it? You’re a very curious entity.

102. Edward Cullen

@PUD yeah haha me too , but can’t force myself to put down the game specially on the

WARNING!!SPOILERS!!!!:

truck chase – shambhala level. god that was awesome.

103. pracer

I told you I am not going to get into a system debate. Or at least try hard not to, you, Tea, make that very tough.

Here is a question. General question. Why assume that xbox owners are all in love with Halo. I own Halo ODST, I have two teenage boys. My wife got a copy for them. I don’t play it, and they don’t post here. They and me are very different people. I don’t like ODST. But, to defend ODST … the box comes with a campaign disc, includes multiplayer 1-4 couch co-op Firefight mode(offline), it also has a disc that includes Halo3 online multiplayer and all of the map packs. The game may not be worth the full price for many people, but, to be honest there is more there then just a short SP and 5 vs 5 mp. I am not defending the game because I enjoy it, but rather because there seems to be a bit of ignorance about it. If I don’t play it, how do I know all of that about it? Did you miss the part about me having teenage kids? Every single one of my kids friends at school (ages 13 to 16) owns Halo, every single one. I don’t play it, but holy hell do I get to watch it being played.
    The UC2 being 10-15 hr long is decent. Not great but comparable to other games, which I think is a disturbing trend. 10 sp = 6 usd per hour. On par with 12 usd movie theater experiences. Bare minium acceptable in my book. I have put thousands of hours into games like PSO, Civ rev, WoW, NCAA Football, Sacred2, Titan Quest, etc. But in the end UC is not the same type of games as those. So 10-15 hrs .. again its alright. I think it perfectly fits as a rental. Like Brutal Legend is.
    I do NOT like the small, limiting online of UC2. Period. I just don’t. Its not fanboy, its not me being this or that. I just don’t like it. Small stages, only 5 vs 5, very limiting and boring. I like Warhawk, Fat Princess, WoW, Bad Company … and if I had to choose, I would even play Halo online to UC2. It has nothing to do with graphic bench marks, systems game are on. the MP has to do with scale, varity(of stages, classes, weapons, strategies, game types, etc). For me, UC2 doesn’t cut the musterd in MP. I think the MP is VERY important to the purchase of a game. After the story mode, the longevity of the game is going to be online. If the game is done right, to me, the most hours will be had playing online. Take CoD for example, I think it is safe to say that most players play the game online longer then they played it offline. That is just a reality of todays online focused game market.
    Tea, I love you. I really do. You make coming here and reading, chating colorful and enjoyable. Your right there with BHD. For you everyone is a fanboy if they don’t profess their undying love(read fanboyism) toward the PS3. Pretty silly. I can’t remember what poster said it best, but he said that “My toy is better then your Toy”. That is the extent of it. And to think, just think Tea, which one of us owns and plays on all of the systems? Me or you? Making which one of us more qualified to give an honest and fair opinion(like an opion can be fair, honest, let alone unbiased lol). But lest I have some understanding of how things work. Most of the games I like are multiplatform, I find that interesting, you calling me fanboy, when I really don’t flip for too many console exclusives anyways. I base my credit for one system over another based on controller, online service, (this one is exclusive tho) xbl Arcade/indie games, netflix, and the sheer number of friends/family playing it. If the names were reversed and the PS3 had all of thet stuff, I would prolly be playing that more. Doesn’t matter. Not really. But ask yourself Tea, why does it matter to you what I or anyone else plays here? So I don’t like a game that you do? So what? We are different people, we have different likes. Let it go, live and let live.

104. Johnny Cullen

Jesus! No offense, pracer, but all I am seeing is a massive wall of text.

105. Syrok

It’s actually surprisingly reasonable, pracer’s comment. :)

Now, I for one can’t wait to get to play this.

106. Phoenixblight

Yeah Pracer comment is actually spot on the whole COnsole debate.

I personally like UC 2 better then the first and the multiplayer is a great Time killer, just mute everyone and start killing =-P

107. MushroomStamp

I agree totally with Pacer. I own all systems. Without saying all the fanboy shit, I play 90% on 360 and only 10% on ps3. The wii.. I haven’t touched it in almost 2 years. Did I buy U2? HELL YEAH, I love this game… and infamous rocks also.. however.. that’s about it on the system for me. I play games and i play them on whatever system offers me the best experience. It just so happens the 360 is a better experience for me.. and I ALSO Do not Like ODST. I have beaten all 3 Halo’s and once beat, I never played them again.. not a fan. Each console has +/-’s the 360 just has more +’s. Now.. back to U2 :)

*edit* – U2 multiplayer is Oh-Kay.. but other Online games I would rather play. Single player rocks and woth the money!

108. mescalineeyes

yo Naughty Dog, I’m real happy for you, and I’mma let you finish, but Capcom had one of the best games of all time. Of all time.

Street Fighter 4 is GOTY.
    Uncharted 2 is tied with ODST and Borderlands.

Fanboys can go fuck themselves.

That’s my semi coherent rant for tonight.

109. The Hindle

yet another fanboy arguement, Uncharted 2 is amazing who ever doesnt buy is stupid seriously. Chapter 13 in UC 2 is the best thing ive ever done in a game now thats hype

110. Syrok

Or has no interest in games like that.

111. reask

I have no doubt that UC2 is a really good game going on reviews and blogs of folks who have played it.

I just think dismissing another console because of it is a bit silly really.

I mean for all of the arguments put across for each console the question has to be asked.

Would lack of competition make one or the other better companies?

I mean would PSN be free if 360 did not exist?
    Would naughty dog be expected to come up with a game as shit hot as this?

I would hate to see one or the other dominate too soon as this would be bad for us gamers.

I have said it before and will repeat it here again.
    Competition is what keeps these guys on there toes and the longer it stays like that the better.

I have no love for either company but I am delighted 360 arrived this gen as it gave Sony the kick up the ass it needed.

I would just like to add that nothing on PS3 to date has made me regret my purchase.

112. pracer

@Johnny

I do tend to let the words fly now don’t I?