Yamauchi: We could release Gran Turismo 5 any time we want

Wednesday, 14th October 2009 02:35 GMT By Nathan Grayson

gt58

You could be playing Gran Turismo 5 right now. But you aren’t, because the man behind the wheel, Kazunori Yamauchi, is a total perfectionist.

“The scale of this title is just dizzying, so daily progress is slow, but it’s still going forward at a steady clip,” he told Famitsu (as translated by 1UP). “All the basic stuff is complete, but we’re trying to give everything that little bit extra at present.”

“We could release it any time we want, really, but I want to have that classic GT-style ‘did we really have to go this far?’ feel going. I want to go way beyond gamer expectations.”

Oh yeah? Well, we’re gamers, and we’re expecting the game to be released today. “Way beyond our expectations”? Sounds like you’re going to need a time machine. Gran Turismo 6. DeLorean. Confirmed.

1. OrbitMonkey

Yamauchi your such a prick tease!

2. Panipal2005

Didn’t he already say this months ago? (Around Gamescom time, i think)

And oh yeah, if you can release it ‘any time’, what’s with not releasing it December, as opposed to head-to-head with one of Sony’s other exclusives, huh, genius?

3. Dannybuoy

Good on him. Let’s give this game a bit more brewing time. A smooth mellow taste is what I’m waiting for

4. Yoshi

If he can release it anytime, then why does he complain about the pressure he has to release it. Damn he needs a slap lol

5. spikeymike

I am a big fan of the GT series. I absolutely love the games. But you know what? This guy telling us he can release the game now, but saying he’s not going to do so for absolutely no good reason is turning me off the game. Instead of making me anticipate it more, I am anticipating the let-down feeling I will get when the game is not beyond perfect. However, I am still looking forward to the Top Gear track ;)

6. Cort

Tosser.

7. tatsujin

Wonder how good the game will turn out. I want him to shove all the words back in Turn 10′s mouth. They deserve it.

8. Len

Why, for making an extremely competent if not definitive racer…?

Most odd…

9. ChrisPilote

For my part, I don’t mind the delay. It’ll give me some time to enjoy its 360 counterpart. Not too much of a good thing ;)

10. pracer

Things he meant to say instead.

“We could release it any time we want, really, but …

…we don’t like you.”
    …we are playing Forza instead.”
    …can’t figure out this online thing.”
    …we are too busy with our second jobs we took so that we could afford a PS3.”
    …we are still waiting for you to get a second job to buy a system.”
    …we could never live up to the hype.”
    …we can’t get the racing feel just right, the D-pad still feels too stiff and jerky.”
    …we haven’t sold enough Prologe copies yet.”
    …we can’t get it to fit on a blu-ray.”
    …we aren’t happy with the games graphics, and Naughty Dog won’t return our phone calls.”
    …we are waiting for the ten year lifecycle for the PS3 to start.”
    …we are too busy playing the PSP verson.”

11. Jadeskye

GT5: releasing some time this century!

Forza has been created and has released 3 games between GT4 and GT5…Kinda crazy.

12. Cort

Used Need for Speed: Shift and using DiRT 2 to bridge the gap. The former was most frustrating and as soon as I got Platinum I traded it in for the latter, which is huge fun – it’s own annoying physics problems aside. Should have that Platinum by month’s end. :)

Oh and Jadeskye that Forza/GT release statement was full of fail when it was made by the person posting on the gaming forum using his MS email address. It isn’t any less false and misleading now.

13. OrbitMonkey

You’d think by now most game publishers would have agents ready to speak for these guys. I mean his been locked away developing this for about 50 years, of course he’s gonna say something stupid! I bet he thought he was being funny or hip… Christ imagine him as best man… “Yeah Kojima coulda married you LAST year, but he was too busy fucking your SISTER! Ha Ha!… “