European Dreamcast is 10 today

Wednesday, 14th October 2009 09:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

dreamcast

Dreamcast launched in Europe ten years ago today. The fated Sega machine released over here on October 14, 1999.

We don’t need to tell you what happened. It’s enough to remember the European machine had a blue swirl over the American console’s orange. It’s enough to remember the first time you saw Soul Calibur running. It’s enough to remember how quickly the VMU ran out of battery power.

There’s loads more on Wikipedia.

1. Johnny Cullen

Whoever did that mini revival recently by selling new consoles in the states, I hope they do them here.

Never bought a Dreamcast. More of a PS2 person.

(I know. I’m an evil bastard. :()

2. Whizzo

The VMUs were a nice idea, if they’d recharged through the controller instead of having those batteries in them they’d have been great.

3. freedoms_stain

I remember scoring a run of 8 consecutive victories at Soul Calibre one lunchtime at a game shop near my school on their display dreamcast.

But like most people I was convinced the ps2 would be superior so waited it out for that instead.

4. trav

We will always remember.

*salutes*

5. Bulk Slash

Best console ever (along with the Super Famicom).

I never really got on with the PS2 after having played Dreamcast games in 640×480 on the VGA Box. The Dreamcast’s output was so sharp and clean, whereas the PS2 always looked muddy and dull, even in 480p.

6. bobbymington

Ten years ago today i dragged the big heavy box around college all day in a white dreamcast logo-ed plastic bag :)

I remember there was a couple of other kids who were doing the same thing, we never spoke, just nodded at each other in the hallways.

7. Robo_1

Ahh, happy days. :)

Seeing Jet Set Radio for the first time was awe inspiring, it was a great, great console.

8. Jackrock

Great console. Sega learnt from the mistakes of Saturn and made a powerful machine, but PlayStation eventually wiped all the competition.

9. DJ Deathstar

Wow 10 years ago today i would be playing Sonic Adventure and Power Stone with my brother! Also that means its 10 years this December since i got one of my favourite games of all time, Toy Commander!!!! God i love that game!

10. izduracis

Probably the best console I ever had. Also the last console I will ever own (outside of work environment, obviously).

11. Muddy

could be time to unwrap my spare new dreamcast which has only been turned on once in celebration

12. Filofax

For a machine that failed to catch on, its still fantastic to play even now.

13. elronathon

@ DJ Deathstar:

Toy Commander was absolutely excellent. Dreamcast still stands as my favourite console. So many incredible games.

14. ChrisPilote

“Happy” Birthday!
    So many great memories with this console…Sega has never been the same since.

15. pracer

My second fav system of all time, right behind the TurboDuo. R.I.P. Dreamcast. You are still missed.

16. BeastModeYMOB

I have the black sports dreamcast right now. I loved it! The 1 thing i love about it is the vmu. I would set up football plays on tat so my friends wouldn’t cheat. But I have all the games and contollers for it still.

17. blackdreamhunk

added to the long list of failed consoles history.

18. Len

Literally sold my original HK DC just last week, a good tenure methinks.

Goodbye and thanks for the memories… :)

19. Len

Hey BDH, how those Voodoo 2′s holding up…? ;)

20. gorman

It’s enough to remember how, on the relevant launch E3, nobody believed Sega had the financial resources to sustain the machine. Guess what? They were right. It was a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.