Fils-Aime: PSPgo has a “fundamental concept problem”

Monday, 12th October 2009 09:59 GMT By Johnny Cullen

reggie

In an interview with The Washington Post (via GI), Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime has said that the PSPgo has a “fundamental concept problem”, wondering “what’s the benefit” in it.

“I have the utmost respect for all our competitors, but it’s interesting to try and answer the consumer question of ‘What’s in it for me?’ in that product,” said Fils-Aime.

He also stated that, despite the success of the iPhone, the company has no plans to enter the mobile phone market.

“We don’t have a desire to get into the phone space. We think the game business is competitive enough.”

More through the links.

1. Herlock

Poor guy, he dont see all the game over the net specally the DS and PSP, i think Sony do the right think and all PSP owners do dematerialization…since he president he said stpid stuff!

2. OrbitMonkey

@Herlock. Eh?

3. OrbitMonkey

Its not just Reggie who’s having that problem. Gamers, game stores and journo’s have all been scratching their head. Most seem to think its all about Sony testing the water with a DLC only console. Only time will tell.

4. freedoms_stain

If you read the hardware reviews they all say it’s a great piece of kit, awesome screen, better controls, better form factor etc etc. Even the concept of a media-less portable gaming device is sound.

The only thing wrong with it is the hardware and software price, both of which are substantially greater than the UMD based PSP units.

5. mescalineeyes

I really love mine, but I can see why people think it’s not worth.

6. Herlock

@OrbitMonkey
    ‘What’s in it for me?’ in that product,”
    DLC game to maybe control piracy, like steam.
    Its games anyway, sorry but Reggie seems stupid to me.
    All model of PSP saling well.

7. OrbitMonkey

So Sony have released a great bit of hardware at a very bad price? Not like them at all… :-)

8. Madlink

The biggest problem I have with the PSPgo is the complete lack of choice I have as a consumer once I’ve bought it. If I buy a PSP-3000 with a high capacity memory stick, I can still buy games from the PSN Store (correct me if I’m wrong) and also catch some bargains on UMD, both new and pre-owned, from other retailers.

Not to mention you can pick up a PSP-3000 with a game for like £120.

So I think Reggie is right when he says consumers are asking that question.

9. Raiden

I think Reggie is right…. but I really don’t like when a software house like Nintendo, corrupted by the money and addicted to stupid Wii and DS games (the most part for casual gamers) wants to talk about other competitors.
    Nintendo, try to make good games instead of thinking about other people…
    Sorry, I’m a little bit angry with my ex favourite Nintendo ;)

10. ybfelix

What? Someone actually asked for a Nintendo Phone?

11. Bojangles

A spokesperson criticising a competing product whilst extolling the virtues of their own?!

/outraged

12. Tonka

This is quite unlike Nintendo isn’t it?

13. SunKing

I think that, fundamentally, it’s a great idea at the wrong time and at the wrong price. I’m glad it’s caused a small resurgence in PSP games being produced, but I don’t think it will be anything more than a modest success.

And Madlink is absolutely, totally right, also. Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero? at £31.99? Really? Let’s say it together now: eff-you, Sony.

14. onyxbox

the fundamental thing that the PSPgo does is… FIT IN YOUR POCKET!

Something the other models don’t do…. been there done that… doesn’t work carrying a 1000,2000,3000 around.

PSPgo is about the size of a Blackberry phone, and it easily fits into a pocket… if you don’t need that then go for the 3000.

Personally I think the only thing wrong with it is the price.

15. Raiden

I agree with SunKing. I have 2 standard PSP and I won’t buy PSP-Go for now…maybe later, but not now.