Halo IP planned out for “at least six years,” says O’Connor

Thursday, 8th October 2009 10:45 GMT By Patrick Garratt

halo314

Frank O’Connor, head of Microsoft internal Halo-handler 343 Industries, has told USA Today that the Halo franchise has been planned out from now until 2015.

“We do have a plan that goes out at least six years,” he said.

“Eventually, it will become very apparent that there is a plan for the way the canon all ties together and the way the comic books and the novels all tie together.”

Games, comics, videos, books and action figures all add up to the final solution, but detail on where everything’s going to go is vapourous as yet.

Read the full thing through the link.

1. Gamoc

Fuck you, Microsoft.

2. Gadzooks!

I really hope they manage to get a Halo MMO off the ground, whether it’s an MMORTS, MMOFPS or MMORPG, and the potential for a Bioware-style RPG is enormous.

Still enjoying the hell out of ODST and really looking forward to seeing how Natal will enhance gameplay in Halo:Reach. My guess is headtracking.

3. Phoenixblight

Curious if Halo will even survive that long especially with better competitors.

4. Gadzooks!

Oh, and a Greg Bear trilogy based on the Forerunners? Awesomeness transcribed.

5. Gekidami

Who was it that always bring up ‘Halo Cart’? He’s totally needed right now. :D

6. lk

good to know, can’t wait for Reach.

Hoping for more games, rather than movies and comics. If it wasn’t for Street Fighter 4, I think ODST would be my game of the year :x

7. Freek

MS talks allot about Halo, but so far there have been 2 Xbox games and 2 Xbox 360 games, and an RTS spin off.
    All of them quality titles, so the milking analogy doesn’t really work.

Especially not when you putt up next to say Guitar Hero which almost releases that many games in one year alone.

8. lk

“better competitors”

O RLY? I mean I guess there’s sometimes more exciting stuff out there (Killzone 2 was pretty cool, as well as Resistance 1 and Modern Warfare), but Halo is like that home cooked meal that your mom serves every sunday.

9. Gekidami

“Halo is like that home cooked meal that your mom serves every sunday.”

Yep, its good… but same old same old…

10. lk

how dare you say that about your mom’s cooking ;)

11. Phoenixblight

“O RLY? I mean I guess there‚Äôs sometimes more exciting stuff out there (Killzone 2 was pretty cool, as well as Resistance 1 and Modern Warfare), but Halo is like that home cooked meal that your mom serves every sunday”

Not really no. Its like going to your poor aunts house to visit and being served PB and J with RC cola….

12. lk

have you even played ODST? I bet an hour of firefight with 3 buddies would change your mind real quick.

13. Gekidami

Halo is pretty much the stale bread on the FPS table these days. I doubt Reach will even be using a new engine tbh, it’ll probably be H3 with some different environments.

14. Gadzooks!

@Phoenixblight

Weak trolling fuckwits like you can find like-minded stupids at GAF to butt heads with.

Go there instead of here. Gekidami, go join him.

15. lk

Gekidami, Reach has been confirmed to use a new Engine. Also, the lead level designer of Uncharted 1 is working on it. It can not be not awesome.

16. Gekidami

Hold on Gadzooks, i’ll call you a waaahmbulance.

17. Gadzooks!

Somebody translate please, I don’t speak trollish.

18. Phoenixblight

I made a COMMENT, Ik responded so I responded. Get over yourself. I made an observation then stated my opinion. Yes I did play ODST at a friends house, I was not impressed.

19. Gekidami

Odd, you seem fluent in ‘trollish’ in other comments.

20. lk

at least you gave it a try, Phoenixblight, that’s more than you can say about other people trolling Halo.

21. Gekidami

I own ODST i also own Halo 3, 2 and the original. Yes i’ve played them all. I wouldnt make such bold statments otherwise, unlike some other people here present who have only seen something their slagging off in pictures on the internet…

22. lk

I hope you don’t think I was referring to you with above comment, gekidami; I see why someone would call it stagnant, that’s why I thought my home-cooked meal analogy was pretty spot-on, but I thought ODST added enough new elements (for me) to make the game feel a bit fresh.
    Also, man, I’m just such a sucker for well-made 4 player co-op.

23. Quiiick

Flogging a dead horse …

So yeah, as Gamoc initially said: Fuck you, Microsoft.

24. Gadzooks!

@Phoenixblight

Your first comment was hilarious: “Curious if Halo will even survive that long especially with better competitors.”

If you lived in the real world you’d be aware that Halo games sell more in their first day than most shooters do in their whole shelf life.

That’s weak trolling, try harder.

25. Gamoc

@Quiiick I knew somebody would get what I was refering to.

I bought and played Halo 3 and it’s simply nowhere near as good as the hype insists. Not to mention the lets-shamelessly-and-mercilessly-screw-halo-for-all-it’s-worth thing.

26. BeastModeYMOB

Its just video games!

27. Quiiick

No, it’s not just video games.
    This is about Microfuck, the Shitbox and everything else that is plain wrong in this world. ;-)

28. BeastModeYMOB

lol

29. Jadeskye

Guys, if ODST proved anything is that anything with ‘halo’ written on it will sell 18 bijillion copies.

From a business standpoint it makes a lot of sense to continue producing something that makes money XD

30. mescalineeyes

Jadeskye that’s simply not true. ODST is easily the best Halo yet and it didn’t do anything near what Halo 2 or 3 did.

Halo Wars barely did 1 mill first month. So there, your theory is disproved. Go troll another game.

31. reask

@gamoc

Was it any worse than the MGS4 cutscene thingy?
    I mean it was real cool looking at snake smoke that cig. ;)

32. Phoenixblight

Halo 3 may have sold the most but did you know it has also the highest resell rate?

I bet you didn’t.

33. Gamoc

@reask I love MGS4 and, on the first time through, really enjoyed the cutscenes. I didn’t finish it again, because I didn’t want to watch all of the cutscenes and didn’t want to skip them, either. MGS4 still kept my attention on the first time through – all the way, Halo 3 felt too repetitive to me. Multiplayer was excellent on both, though completely different, obviously.