“PSPgo will fail miserably,” says major UK retailer

Wednesday, 7th October 2009 08:39 GMT By Patrick Garratt

pspgo2

Oh dear. The MD of Chips, UK’s largest independent games chain, has told GI he expects the PSPgo to “fail miserably”.

Don McCabe said: “My own personal opinion is that it’s a no-go. I’ve been to a number of presentations to see if there’s anything there and I don’t feel it’ll go anywhere to be honest.

“I’m 99.9 per cent sure it’s going to fail miserably, in which case it’s going to put back other potential people coming into that digital space.”

More joy through there. The handheld released last week.

1. Yoshi

Nah it would deffo do alright, if they lowered the price and lowered the price of the PSN psp games. Some are £19.99 but you can buy a disc version for £9.99 which makes no sense, digital content should be cheaper becos it doesnt need packaging etc.

2. Blerk

Is Chips really a ‘major’ UK retailer? I’ve never seen a Chips store anywhere.

3. Uncontested

You do realize that bandwidth probably costs more than producing a physical product in some cases… right?

4. G1GAHURTZ

Chips, not Chip.

5. G1GAHURTZ

(Y)

Err… nearly there.

6. Patrick Garratt

*kills self*

7. G1GAHURTZ

lol!

8. Dean

@Blerk: I’ve never seen one either.

9. Aimless

Nice to have an objective view on a product that’s the first step towards negating the need for dedicated game retailers.

10. Bringit

Major UK retailer… They’ve got 20 stores. And most of them are franchised.

11. satsugai

@Blerk Neither have I, never even heard of them until now. :p

12. Zarckan

Don McCabe as a notorious lardy ass mofo who, of course, is going to big up retail. But since his stores cause a lot of developers pain with their 2nd hand market view point and sales.

Developers will 100% support digital (look at Steam and the sales so far on PSN, XBLA and App Store).

The trouble as I see it for Don is this, as his stores won’t be able to sell anything for PSP Go, other than the hardware, accessory packs and PSN Cards, he will not be getting his grubby hands on the usual 35% cut his stores get of an RRP.

What a fucken shame, boo hoo.

13. Patrick Garratt

:P

14. TastyAcidMilkk

all Don McCabe is complain

15. Zarckan

Oh, as a follow on from my point above…

Not only will he not get his hands on 35% retail, he won’t get them on what is usually around 120% markup on 2nd hand titles, IE they buy something for £4 and sell it for £15 or so…

16. phatb0y

Theres a couple of Chips locally here, and they’re pretty good. They’re consistently better than the big chains when it comes to trade-ins and the staff seem to have a clue (which is fucking rare at retail). I wouldn’t describe them as ‘independent’ in the slightest though.

I don’t think the PSPgo will bomb, but then I don’t think it will sell in huge numbers either. Denying retailers their cut of software sales isn’t a great idea to encourage sales and neither is making the hardware unappealing to a good percentage existing PSP users. Nobody I know who already owns a PSP is interested in buying a PSPgo.

Having had a play with one I’d say it was a very nice piece of kit but way overpriced and destined to become a bit of a white elephant.

17. JonFE

If Sony actually wants the PSPgo to succeed, they need to halve the price and recover lost revenue from software sales, where they have a monopoly and prices are marked up already.

Selling it for 20-40 GBP less than a PS3 is ludicrous…

18. El_MUERkO

i predict the PSPgo will scrape by while Sony flatly refuse to admit that they got it wrong

19. JesteR

Download only shit. I hope it fails because i would like to be able to sell my games in the future and not lose that control the Sony or Microsoft or whoever comes up with those fucked up ideas.

20. G1GAHURTZ

THEY’LL HAVE TO GIVE IT AWAY FOR FREE, THE RIP OFF MERCHANTS!!!

21. Dannybuoy

Lets all beat up on widdle PSP Go! Leave it alone. I’m really enjoying mine. Stop the hate

22. theevilaires

anymore news on the PSP4000 rumor?

23. cachucha

problem is, not all the countries are as developed to understand digitial distribution, here applestore and stuff doesnt mean anything, its all about retail.

24. Quiiick

@ cachucha
    Where’s “here”?

25. Suikoden Fan

i’ve heard nothing but bad things about chips

26. NiceFellow

1 – I’d hardly consider them ‘major’ as a source nor particularly reputable

2 – I’d hardly trust a retailer’s view of a device designed to cut retailers out of the software side

27. Cort

What he meant to say was….

We want it to fail because we’ll lose out on game sales if it succeeds, and we will do anything we can to undermine the product.

Which is fair enough; just be honest about it.

And Chips is no major retailer: it’s small fry. Thank you and good night.