Pitchford: Easy Achievements can increase sales by 40K

Wednesday, 7th October 2009 16:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

pitchford

Gearbox bossman Randy Pitchford has told OXM that incorporating easy Achievements in games can increase sales by up to 40,000.

“The Achievement hunter, who’s going to make purchase decisions around the Achievements per minute to ratio – he’s probably buying ten to twenty titles a year, or at least playing that many,” said Pitchford. “He’s playing a lot. So he’s a very frequent customer, and you want to be in that pile. That’s just business.

“The time it takes is minimal because you’re designing Achievements anyway, and you can probably affect your sales by something like 10-40,000 units. If you’re talking about a triple-A game selling between 1 and 2.5 million units. You’re talking tens of thousands of units of impact there. Unfortunately most people in the industry don’t think through it that much.

“You have designers designing Achievements, and they’re the worst.”

More through the link.

[pic]

1. Syrok

Good for them, but I prefer challenging achievements and achievements that see me doing something I normally wouldn’t do. Even better get back to including unlockable cheats, characters, filters, artwork etc. they are much more rewarding than a random number of points/trophy.

2. endgame

estimated arrival, 3 november. just in time for my b-day. yay. :D

3. reask

Still he speaks the truth.
    Lots of folks are achievement junkies.
    I am not one yet but I played CSI with a walkthrough just to get the 1k.

In saying that good achievements give you more play out of a game.

4. JonFE

If it’s the easy achievements you’re after, you could just rent the game in question, which surely doesn’t increase sales. Other than that I agree with Syrok.

5. conk donk

For me, the only game where achievments have enhanced a game is Civilization: Revolution as it encouraged me to try different play styles and stratagies I’ve never thought of before. To date it’s the only game where I’ve got 1000 points for a game. Most of the time it’s nice to see the achievment unlocked sign but I rarely hunt for them.

6. freedoms_stain

The only real benefit in Achievements in my eyes is that they let you know when you’ve got everything there is to get out of the game – you don’t accidentally miss something forever because you complete the game once and moved on, if there are achievements left to unlock you KNOW you missed something.

7. Returners

*Looks at Brother’s in Arms achievement list”
    - Remember September ’44

Really Randy?

8. theevilaires

there’s a upside and downside to easy trophies/achievements.

The Upside- more people or point whores will gravitate to your title. Which can result into higher sales. For the people like me who don’t want to waste their time trying to unlock every piece of art work or hidden costumes will still get satisfaction and completion when they have 100% in trophies/achievements. The days of playing games like FFVIII and MGS all day are long gone for me. So earning a 100% without too much hassle justifies my $60 purchase.

The Downside- they can get disgustingly addictive. The competition side of trophies/achievements can get ugly to a point that it will cause you to lose sleep and lose respect for your friends. People getting easy trophies from games like Hannah Montana just to boost their levels are just fucking disgusting.

When trophies/achievements are very easy you can just rent the game or buy it second hand just to get an overall % boost which will hurt sales most definitely for the devs and publishers. A great example would be Terminator Salvation. I know the game is shit and would never do a million, but they didn’t actually help themselves by making all the trophies gold and easy to obtained.

I literally rented it, beat it, and returned it to blockbuster within a total of 6 hours. 12 golds and 1 platinum was a great trophy boost.

I think games with fun and somewhat challenging trophies/achievements like infamous do help sales greatly.
    But adding easy trophies that you can obtained in a matter of hours I can’t see that spiking sales for a game. Not when you can save $50 and just rent it for the trophies.

9. ybfelix

Whatever you do, please don’t do online achievements!

10. reask

I hear what you are saying Tea but I think if you like gaming the buzz of easy achievements/ trophies soon wears thin.
    On the other hand I have got some real enjoyment chasing achievements in games which would have been just meh otherwise.

I played COD 2 on veteran for 1k and got great satisfaction having beaten it.
    I would have missed out on it if it was not for the achievements. IE I would have just played it on a easier level.
    I mean that game was tough on veteran imo but really good entertainment.

Quantum of solace was another example.
    I mean the actual game was not great but I felt the achievements helped my enjoyment of it somewhat especially the stealth ones.

Orange box was another example for me.
    Tough to get but a real sense of satisfaction having got them.

In saying that I seldom get 100% in any game as I dont do online much.

Anyway thanks for the heads up on Montana and terminator.
    Heading out the door now to pick them up. :D
    I joke of course.

11. theevilaires

Ybfelix I agree I hate online trophies too :)

Reask I agree with you also. QoS was meh and the trophy chasing made it fun. Another back draw to the trophy/achievement system is chasing after these goals can ruin the overall gaming experience.