Reggie: “Literally millions” were waiting for Wii price cut and Wii Fit Plus

Tuesday, 6th October 2009 09:22 GMT By Patrick Garratt

wii3

NoA’s Reggie Fils-Aime reckons the recently-announced Wii price cut and the imminent launch of Wii Fit Plus will have a seven-figure impact to the machine’s sales.

“There are literally millions of consumers out there who want a Wii and had been on the sidelines,” he said, talking to the FT.

“They’d been waiting for that little nudge to go out and pick it up – the price decline, the sampling, the launching of key software like Wii Fit Plus – we believe it’s what’s pushing them over the edge to get into the category.”

And what sort of sales increase have we seen from the cut, Reggie?

“The consumer response has been very strong to the price reduction,” he said, adding that it was too early to release precise sales figures.

We’ll know soon enough.

1. Syrok

Yup, I would have bought it if they had reduced the price earlier, but now that Sony is doing the stick waving controls as well I don’t care that much anymore. :)

2. rrod360lol

Personally I’m waiting for a game I want to play on it. They even managed to fuck up animal crossing.

3. Blerk

I’m not convinced the Wii price cut will have as much of an effect as the PS3 price cut did. Regardless of its price, it already had a reputation for being “affordable” even before the drop. Despite the fact that you can quite happily spend £2million on extra controllers.

4. Hero of Canton

I agree with Blerk. It’s been perceived as the ‘value’ console even since it became more expensive than the cheapest 360 SKU. I can’t see a ‘price drop’ (it’s more added value than a genuine cut, really) having that significant an impact, nor can I see Wii Fit Plus making people buy one more than Wii Fit already did.

5. Dannybuoy

I hear that medication for the treatment of herpes has also come down in price. However I still don’t intend to go out and contract it

6. Gadzooks!

Well Dannybuoy has answered the only question I was going to ask.

*sigh*, so ronery…

7. JesteR

Wii is mainstream shit. Millions waiting for good games. All they get is crap.

8. chickenbutt

I was waiting for a price cut like the many he says but the 200 dollars still isn’t worth it to me.

9. Psychotext

Literally no-one in the UK is getting a price cut so they’re going to have to make do with Wii Fit Plus.