New Super Mario Bros. ‘Demo Play’ doesn’t play for you after all

Friday, 2nd October 2009 05:07 GMT By Nathan Grayson

newsupermariobroswii

Remember that whole Demo Play thing that had hardcore Mario masters up in arms a couple months ago? Well, as it turns out, it might not be that big of a deal. According to a Nintendo of Europe product listing, Demo Play’s just a gentle push in the right direction – not an autopilot.

“New Super Mario Bros. Wii is also the first Nintendo game to feature a dynamic help system, which allows you to access a mode showing how a level can be completed if you are stuck. The best thing about this mode is that you are free to jump into the action you’re watching on screen at any time,” reads the listing.

Bottom line: you still have to do all the legwork. Fortunately, if you want to watch Mario do his hopping and bopping without your input, you’ve still got the animated classic that is the Super Mario Brothers Super Show to fall back on. Thank goodness for that.

Thanks, Siliconera.

1. JPickford

Surely if “you’re free to jump into the action you’re watching at any time” then it is playing for you?

Confused.

2. Nathan Grayson

Sounds to me like you can queue up what’s essentially a video of the level that shows you how to play, then – any time during that video – you can press a button and jump back into the action.

3. JPickford

Well assuming the “jumping in” is at the point the video is up to then then it’s playing for you. Or does it jump you back to wherever you were?

Seems more like the former to me.

4. Nathan Grayson

I’ll go ahead and email Nintendo. Hopefully they’ll straighten this out for us.

5. Tonka

That line is indeed open for interpretation. I also read it as “We play for you and when you wish you can jump in (at the point where we are)”

6. G1GAHURTZ

Yes. I think more info is needed on this. You could easily read from that, that the game autp-pilots and you take control back whenever you want.

7. Tonka

And to be honest. Seeing a video of how to do something is sort of pointless. Often I know what I’m supposed to do, it’s doing it that is the hard bit.

Just by watching someone play through IKARUGA on a single life doesn’t mean I can do it.

8. Tonka

Oh, OK. I was supposed to AVOID being killed and at the same time SHOOT my enemies. Right…

9. Blerk

It does still sound like it’s playing it for you. And to be honest, I don’t see the problem with that – is it really better for someone to give up in frustration than to get a bit of help moving on? How is this different to getting your mate to finish a particularly difficult bit of a game for you because you can’t get past it? And kids have been doing that forever.

10. G1GAHURTZ

What’s the point of playing a game if you never achieve anything by completing it’s goals?

That’s what hackers and cheaters do, which might be fine for them, but I’d say that the vast majority of people would rather have the challenge and the pleasure of getting past a difficult moment in a good game.

There’s a difference between difficult and frustrating. It’s frustration that makes people stop playing a game… Maybe through cheap AI or bad design, but if the developers get it right, then the game will still be fun, whilst being difficult.

For example, it must have taken me thousands of attempts to finish the final bonus mission on CoD4, but I jumped up and down and punched the air when I finally did it, because I was still getting some enjoyment out of all those failed attepmts. But I might play another frustrating game and not bother with it after 10 or so goes, because playing it feels more like punishment. Even if I do finally do it, I’d be more likely to moan about how bad it was than feel any sense of achievement.

11. Blerk

But this system isn’t designed for the likes of you and I, G1GA, it’s for people who don’t play a lot of games or kids or Dara Ó Briain – people who are a bit rubbish at games and just want to play for fun rather than achievement.

12. DrDamn

Playing for fun? Who are these crazy people???

13. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, I agree with that, Blerk.

But the game is a Mario game, which worked just fine for casuals on the DS.

I don’t think that many people would care if they did this to Kirby or Wii Sports or Nintendogs or something, but why one of the only proper gamer games on the Wii?

Next they might try and do this with Zelda!

Can’t do a puzzle? That’s ok, we’ll do it for you…

14. Tonka

I hear they won’t force people to use it.

15. Blerk

I still don’t really see the problem. It’s not like you have to use it. And it’s not like people haven’t been using cheat codes and GameFAQs since games were invented. It seems to me that the only people complaining about this system are the people who don’t need to use it.

And to use your example of Mario on the DS, it doesn’t necessarily work fine for the casuals. My son can play through most of New Super Mario Bros DS, but he gets stuck on some bits and can’t get past them, so he asks me to do them for him. With the new system, he doesn’t have to. Which is great, because I fucking hate New Super Mario Bros DS. :-D

16. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, I suppose it’s a good idea in that example.