Source: PS3 getting cross-title voice chat in October

Thursday, 24th September 2009 19:28 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3slim4

A VG247 source said today that Sony has informed developers of plans to incorporate cross-title voice chat in PS3 play by the end of October.

The feature will be added in Firmware update 3.10, we were told.

Cross-title chat is consistently one of the most asked-for features on PS3 – looks like Sony’s ready to deliver.

1. Razor

Breath not being held…

2. ross_k

I read this site everyday and it’s one off my first stops for game news, but I rarely ever post on here, but I feel the need to post now as this is a very sensitive issue amongst fanboys, I trust you on this rumour/story but I feel that I and other readers will be disappointed if this turns out to be false, also who was the source? was it at TGS or an email from an informant?

3. Patrick Garratt

I can’t tell you the source. It is true.

4. Gekidami

So its a VG247 source then? Has this source gave you guys decent info in the past?

5. Syrok

“Nobody believes the official spokesman… but everybody trusts an unidentified source.”

6. Stephany Nunneley

Yes Gek, they have :-)

7. Phoenixblight

Fucking finally. Was that so hard Sony?

8. Aimless

I like to think that all rumours about cross-game PS3 voice chat stem from a disgruntled Ken Kutaragi. It’s the only thing that gets him through the day.

9. ross_k

So your 100% certain it’s true because I remember a source told you that their would be a grief reporting and rating system in 3.00 and that didn’t happen, I’m not trying to question you guys as I like the site but I don’t want me and other people getting their hopes up.

10. Gekidami

Well it’ll be good if its true. The reasons it couldnt come have never really been clear, i dont think that whole MS patient story was ever confirmed.

11. joostin

@ross_k…

If you read the EULA for Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Multi-player demo/beta, it states that there is indeed a grief reporting system available in Uncharted 2. This could mean it has already been implemented in the background or will be in a future update. Doesn’t mean it isn’t on it’s way.

12. FatGut

October of what Year?

13. theevilaires

Garratt you told us about FW 3.0 and it turned out to be shit. Hope this is true though :D

14. ross_k

Got the beta but never read that, it does say in-game which could imply just for that one game.

15. No_PUDding

If he heard it before, and he’s heard it again, it’s more as thought it were part of a delay.

16. theevilaires

Steph do you believe this to be true honestly or could you even care a crap more or less :D

17. theevilaires

Hold on didn’t they say there was going to be no more major updates this year? This is major baby. pure 100% awesome major. I just really hope they copy that guy’s FW 3.0 redesign also. Then I’ll never turn on that other box ever again.

18. ross_k

Then Sony announce L4D for PS3 and the GTA DLC, then I’d never consider purchasing a 360

We can all dream

19. No_PUDding

Chances are TEA, if it genuinely is coming, it was intended to be with 3.0

It (and this seems VERY Sony-ish) needed to be delayed for further development time, but they needed to get the new interface (and logo) out with the launch of the Slim, so these elements would theoretically come later.

20. ross_k

Thats kinda what I was thinking, its probably broken in some way though, the new status bar is broken as it doesnt count a friend who is “Not Available” as being online and then when they change their status to online the little bit where it shows the number off friends online is wrong, thats a stupid mistake that needs to be fixed, as is the the damn grey boxes.

21. ivycrew707

The grey boxes are actually pretty cool b/c it now actually shows what part of the game a friend is actually on, its a cool little update……could change its opaque-ness lol

22. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Very cool, but can’t help but be sceptical.

Watch next headline…..
    “Sony PSN now $24.99 year”

23. Bleak Harvest

Sounds legit.

24. theevilaires

did you just edit that comment bleak? wtf dude

25. Bleak Harvest

Yes. My source requested that I don’t post it after the fact. I hope you’ll respect that.

26. No_PUDding

Blabbermouth.

I loved having sources! Ridiculous I knew about the concept of the Team ICO game for years but disregarded it!

27. Bleak Harvest

Lips are sealed now.

28. Seraphemz

I don’t see what the big deal about cross chat is…

29. theevilaires

well what you posted before sounds meh. the 360 has a better way. damn split memory!

30. theevilaires

i agree seraphemz but the some sort of optional functionality like that is nice to have even if its a dumbed down version. it comes in handy….for trophy boosting :P

31. Seraphemz

I know you love your trophies TEA…lol!
    Seems to me people really want it JUST cuz 360 has it.

32. theevilaires

that reason too :D

33. No_PUDding

People want it becuase the 360 has it AND it’s free.

34. FeaturePreacher

I would like to have system wide custom soundrax, but that hasn’t happened yet. If cross game voice chat does occur on the ps3, I fear it will be up to the developer to implement it, thereby making it piecewise and not system wide like custom soundtrax.

35. theevilaires

not the way bleak put it. the way he mentioned it seems sony doesn’t need devs to add it but it will be part of the xmb now

36. Bleak Harvest

All I said was “Sounds legit”.

If I had to take a stab at it, though, I’d say that this will be something that will be a part of XMB. Just like the way theevilaires put it, actually =)

37. Progguitarist

It’d be nice if this WAS legit but its not a feature I ever used on XBL to be honest. I have a hard enough time concentrating on playing a game let alone listening to someone tell me how their day was.

38. Cort

PUD has a good point. Because the 360 launched first as a well-featured device and built a good lead, people generally consider that what it has is what all consoles should have. So cross-game chat is considered necessary this gen.

Personally, I file this under “would like to have but wouldn’t be too bothered if it never happend…happenend…” holy fuck I’ve forgotten how to spell happenened……

39. rrod360lol

So they’ve finally convinced EA that no-one’s playing order of the phoenix any more then ? ;)

40. Dr.Ghettoblaster

For those asking why, I’ll give you one good reason why this is needed and great news.

Because it’s incredibly gay being limited to a single virtual room on PS3 if you want to voice chat with anyone.
    Period.

41. Phoenixblight

I read that link all I can say is wow a Publisher is doing the cock blocking for Xgame chat. I am curious who it is since he stated its not Activision.

42. No_PUDding

Hahahah

“wouldn’t be too bothered if it never happend…happenend…” holy fuck I’ve forgotten how to spell happenened……”

xD

43. Phoenixblight

WoW so EA is it doing it. Now I have to figure who is worse Peter Moore or Bobby Kotick. Meh Still Kotick. I am still buying Bioware games, it sucks but eventually something has to be done.

44. triple v

Source is crap.

Nov 16th – no voice chat.