Rumour – SCEA-Sega meeting notes confirm PS2 games for PS3, DC games for PSN, more

Tuesday, 22nd September 2009 11:46 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3slim

Either this is bullshit or someone’s just dropped an enormous bollock. A document’s appeared on what looks to be Sega’s PR FTP site detailing a supposed meeting between SCEA and Sega on August 5.

It includes this:

PS2 emulator for PS3 (confidential)

• SCEA wants to sell all PS2 titles on PSN (GTA Vice City/Sonic/etc)
  • For co Marketing money show PS3 controller on TV ads – similar to EA Madden Spots, NCAA, etc…

And this:

DC Digital Titles

• If we provide a list of DC titles SCEA will let us know which ones they’re interested in having exclusively.
  • If we give them a long period of exclusivity they’ll give us more marketing support.

Sega’s just declined to comment. We’re still waiting on SCEE’s response.

Get the full thing after the break. Thanks, GAF.

SCEA Meeting Aug 5th Notes
Aug 6 2009 – DRAFT FOR COMMENTS

Objectives of Meeting
 Dyer agreed to regular quarterly meetings with SOA

Sony PS3
 SCEA reiterated plans to sell 13 million PS3s this year
 Big announcement back half of year they can’t talk about (potentially price cut of PS3 to reach hardware goals)
 SCEA commented on indexing between PS3 and 360 SKUs, should be around 2:1 to garner most favorable treatment.

Motion Controller
 Spring 2010 launch (March in JP)
 No bundle/pricing details yet, should come Sept 1
 Plan on selling 4-5MM units WW
 SCEA agreed to provide a list of Sega IP that would work well with the motion controller, Virtua Tennis was an example
 Motion Controller support allows easy way to differentiate PS3 SKU
 Other differentiation opportunities include PSP/PS3 interoperability – think of features that would make users want to buy both PS3 and PSP SKUs.

Alpha Protocol
 Michael Foster, product evaluator, said AP felt barely RPG. Initial level too challenging for players. “Mass Effect felt more RPG.”
 Review notes sent to John Merlino a few weeks prior. After meeting Gerald mentioned AP is a high priority for his team.

Planet 51
 Sell in of PS3 SKU – SCEA noted that other movie titles on PS3 had underperformed as well (inc. Transformers) this cycle.
 Dyer suggests contacting Susan at Walmart and asking what she wants in the pack to sell this SKU (movie tix etc)
 Other possibilities are Hybrid movie disc (BD 25 or 50 with Game and Movie on same disc).

Bayonetta
 Collectors edition with Bayonetta Action Figure
 Novo recommended launching PSN demo around Xmas based off a Jan 5th Ship date with 2-3 week run out to launch.
 3-4 weeks is usually ideal demo timing with fresh content every week leading up to launch (trailers, insider video about PG heritage, video blogs).

Vancouver 2010
 HOME, Olympic destination would garner a lot of positive attention from SCEA
 Should be doing same with Bayonetta, Marvel etc. Easy to launch in all territories.
 HOME merchandizing opportunities (clothes etc).

Sonic Racing
 Open to DLC to differentiate PS3 SKU – not ratchet and clank but other characters
o maybe characters from Rare or Fable universes

Yakuza
 Could put Japanese games directly on PSN for download in a special Japanese Import section (pricing $9.99 to $39.99 for full game).
 Might need to localize menus at least with subtitles.
 SCEA interested in helping on MKTG side if they can have period of exclusivity.

AVP
 Another great HOME candidate
 AVP avatars
 Hybrid BD disc with movie

Iron Man 2
 Great candidate for HOME space – explore Tony Stark’s lab etc.
 Should have one for Marvel in general.

PSU2
 Could do bundle at GameStop with PSP 30-35K units on UMD, Go, or both.

Valkyria 1937
 Could bundle with PSP as well.

Vanquish and Aliens: CM
 Opportunity for PS3/PSP interoperability (see Eidos Batman, Army of Two, Assassin’s Creed for good examples).
 If we offer that SCEA would be really interested in having us at their booth next E3.

Thor
SCEA would like a look at the code soon.

Sonic Anniversary
 Could put out collectors edition with all old sonic games on one BD disc.
 “Best of Sonic” for around $99.
 SCEA would love PSN exclusive power ups/different game modes (like Castlevania’s flip it over/backwards)

PS2 emulator for PS3 (confidential)
 SCEA wants to sell all PS2 titles on PSN (GTA Vice City/Sonic/etc)
 For co Marketing money show PS3 controller on TV ads – similar to EA Madden Spots, NCAA, etc…

London Olympics
 Perfect opportunity for Motion Controller integration.

DC Digital Titles
 If we provide a list of DC titles SCEA will let us know which ones they’re interested in having exclusively.
 If we give them a long period of exclusivity they’ll give us more marketing support.

PSP Titles
 For SKU differentiation it’s best to offer features that are slightly different from PS3 version.
 Titles that are coming up on PSP are Assassin’s Creed II, GTA China Wars, Resident Evil, Little Big Planet – all massive franchises.
 SCEA has a specific PSP deck which they can send up with their hardware director for a chat.

1. Gekidami

Doubt SCEE will know anything when its about SCEA, they may as well be 2 different companies really.

2. Phoenixblight

SO I will have rebuy all the games I already own….

Fucking SOny. There is no way they will release all of them on PSN no flipping way.

3. No_PUDding

THIS is the kind of news that is so fuckign exciting. WOOOO someone screwed up.

4. Razor

“SO I will have rebuy all the games I already own….”

Did you really think it was going to be any different?

5. No_PUDding

Ooh period of exclusivity on Yakuza… Coming to 360 confirmed?

6. Phoenixblight

Not really excited but aggravating because I have a library of PS2 games and I won’t be able to play them but to play them I have to rebuy in digital version. Huge Fail there Sony

“Did you really think it would be any different?”

Damn fucking right I did you know they aren’t going to be 9.99$ they will be upwards 20$ and up. Why should I have to rebuy them all when I have my own.

7. DrDamn

Just out of interest where does it say you have to buy them again? If they implement a PS2 emulator then they may well let you play games from disc too. I couldn’t see where it says either way in the text though.

8. rainer

What Sega are probably doing is re-writing some of the game code so it uses the RSX GPU but CPU code is still emulated by the Cell. If that were the case it wouldn’t make any difference if you own the original its a different version.

It’s on a per title basis so likely only the most popular titles will get the treatment, if they can sell a digital download it be might worth their while.

This is what most were expecting Sony would do eventually look at the God of War remakes though they are probably getting better treatment these may only run in the same resolution as the PS2 version.

9. Psychotext

Yeah, that’s how I see it happening rainer. God of War gives us an idea of where this might be heading… just with more love than I think other titles will be getting.

10. BraveArse

tbh if I finally get the chance to play Shadow of The Colossus then I can only see it as a good thing.

2 things though: a/ Thor? when did that happen? I’m assuming it’s based on the Marvel character in which case \o/ … I loved the Thor comics :) b/ PS3/PSP interoperability… they cite Arkham Asylum there, yet I can find very little reference to it on t’interweb. Anyone know what this refers to?

edit: also Alpha Protocol – I hope we’re not seeing it being dumbed down there. I’m quietly looking forward to that one.

11. Herlock

Shenmue HD YEAH!

12. Michael O'Connor

Information stolen from an FTP folder? That has to be seriously illegal, surely?

13. Psychotext

@Michael: If the FTP was protected (username / password), or there was any warning of any sort… yes. If not, no.

14. SlashZaku

@ No_PUDding:

Think you’re looking for something that isn’t there. More than likely, Sony just wants to advertise the game since SEGA doesn’t really do any advertising for their games unless ‘Sonic’ is slapped on it. If SEGA is interested in advertising it this go around, Sony wants to use it in their own commercials first (maybe a montage deal or something) before SEGA rolls out their own.

15. Robo_1

The dream of PS2 BC lives on. Has Neogaf melted down yet?

16. Neolucifer

@Phoenixblight

The ps3 with BC was there for a quite long time . Apparently close to no one cared or used it .

Everyone wanted price cuts instead . it finally happens but of course without the BC , and now suddenly everyone cares …

Anyone truly wanting for it could get it for a long long time , but instead some people decided to gamble on some pipe dream of free ps2 emulation .. but then the choice and fault lies with those individuals .

In my case the only problem with BC was that almost all my ps2 games were import . So i guess i’ll either keep playing them on ps2 , or happily get a few re-release with added bonuses such as trophies and HD

17. Redh3lix

I dont understand why people moan about BC. If you wish to play PS2 games “proper”, buy a PS2. You can pick up a PS2 cheaper than the average price of a game nowadays if you look around.

I sold my PS2 years ago and recently upgraded to a PS3. I have no problem whatsoever with purchasing certain classic PS2 titles!

This service would certainly make the PSP Go! handheld an attractive buy.

18. No_PUDding

What a shame for all those people who invested in PS2 games. If only there were something somewhere that you could play all of those games on.

If only it was still being sold. And you could still own one to play all your classic PS2 DVD’s on.

Well since god came down and discarded sensible PS3 backwards compatibility, I think the PS2 library will be completely obsolete with nothing to play on.

19. notpill

@Michael O’Connor
    it’s an open ftp directory for media and pr, full of marketing stuff (art, promo, trailers, packagings, logos).
    ftp://segapr.segaamerica.com

20. pracer

When you put out a 250gig HD, your going to be promoting downloads. Don’t look for Sony to allow an emulator for ps2 disc based gaming on PS3.
    However I still think this is a VERY big deal. I would kill for the ability to play Dreamcast games on PS3, but only IF they are remastered and display in HD, will be multiplayer online, and will be sold for less then 15usd. I doubt that any of that will be true, though they may be upscaled graphicly. Same with PS2 games.
    All in all I like the idea, I think it sounds too good to be true, but if it happend, I’d pick up a few games. However instead of just old stuff, I would like to see more PS3 games avalible for download(like there are on xbLIVE). But again the biggest hinderance is price. MS, Sony, and the said liscence holders, will feel that their games should run 30plus, when you could buy the same game for half of that at a gamestop, GAME, or E-bay. Plus, unlike retail copies, digital copies almost never come down in price. And then they will sit around and wonder why the games down’t sell, and possibly declare that digital sales are a bad idea and not worth the effort.

21. Neolucifer

@No_PUDding

PS2 pc emulator have been running quite well and quite stable for most games , and the ps2 isnt going anywhere anytime soon . hell even the Dreamcast is still quite alive for those that cares .

I dont mind Sony’s current handling of BC , if it means hd release with a few bonuses or trophies . hell i’d kill for a devil may cry 1-3 bundle in hd glory . Or suikoden 3 and V on PSN . Or ico and Shadow of Colossus in 720p .

BC is way overrated again , when it was there most people didnt want it , didnt use it . And for those that did like myself , there were quite a few patching and incompatibility hurdles for a long time .

Plus the ps3 only added a tiny optional smoothing effect , that can actually be detrimental to a few games . hardly a real Upscale or HD remix .

@Pracer i’ve actually always seen them going down in prices .. with event sales , bundles , or even normal drops .
    They are usually cheaper to begin with , with the exception of crap like “Games on demand” .

hell just look at Steam on any day , or even XBL and PSN . Deals are abundants

22. tatsujin

Wow, this is awesome!

23. Komond_Deckard

“We’re still waiting on SCEE’s response”

I guess you mean SCEA, but by the way, I hope this will come too for Europe.

24. pracer

@Neo

Your right on Steam. But I was only thinking of Consoles, and yea Games on Demand sprung to mind. As far as prices going down, once in awhile – but once in a great while. I see way too many games that are still way too high PS3 store has NFL headcoach 09 for 50usd still. Some games worth it, most can be gotten cheaper elswhere I just worry about a stagnet market where the game will come in at a set price and stay there. We could have four ye old games costing as much as the day they came out. As much as I hate em – openmarket places like Gamestop, Walmart, Toysrus, and Ebay keep prices down. As far as digi downloads we often get smaller (bite sized) games, casual games, retro games for lower prices, but too often when it comes to new games they are the same full price as in the stores, even though no packaging, shipping or store shelf space is needed. From Aion to Spore to Witcher to console stuff like Civ Rev, Headcoach 09 or almost anything….

And just for the record I love DD, I just think that a few things need to get worked out first, I am worried about greedy folks inlfating prices to turn a buck. That and I love to shop in the bargin bins.

25. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Dreamcast would be cool, but PS2 games are WAY too soon. I only wanna go back when there’s a few generations gap so I can see the difference and experience the nostalgia. Hard to do this with direct previous generation.

26. Blerk

Some of this seems quite convincing. Other bits seem… off. I smell a rat.