Bethesda’s Cheng says MS marketing is to blame for ODST backlash

Tuesday, 22nd September 2009 16:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

odst

Bethesda’s production director, Ashley Cheng, has defended Halo 3: ODST’s campaign length on his blog, stating that Microsoft’s marketing machine is almost solely to blame for the consumer backlash and mixed reviews.

“Microsoft and/or Bungie totally bungled the marketing on this. First saying it was a standalone expansion pack, then coming out and saying wait, no, we’re charging full price because – surprise! – we put “more” stuff in it and it’s called Halo ODST now, vs it’s original title, Halo Recon,” he wrote.

“Like Microsoft was ever going to sell this for less than full price. It is a new Halo title, it’ll sell like hotcakes no matter what.

“Because of the waffling, reviewers are now mentioning that Halo ODST may not be worth the price point, that it should’ve been cheaper, etc… Give me a break. First off, most games – especially first person shooters – are anywhere from 5-10 hours. Tops. What makes Halo different from others? You can’t just ping Halo ODST for it.

“I bet if Microsoft hadn’t screwed up the marketing messaging, there would less talk about pricing.

Youch. More through the links.

Via Videogamer.

1. Michael O'Connor

Funny thing is, he’s right.

Not like most other games are any longer.

2. Psychotext

Yeah, I agree completely. You can pretty much tear a point off all the review scores instantly because of the whole “full priced expansion” thing.

…and some reviewers were angrier than that about it (See Eurogamer Italy and Anandtech)

3. Robo_1

I haven’t played it, but I think for the content you’re getting, gamers are hardly being short changed. As the article says, it’s been made an issue of because of MS’s fumbled press statements.

4. Mike

He’s bang on the money, imo.

5. blackdreamhunk

I am not suprised about microsft

6. Benjo1981

He’s totally right. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was about the same length as ODST. Additionally, in the UK, ODST is being sold for £30, ten pounds less than the usual full price of £40. Great deal in my eyes.

7. Gekidami

I would disagree with the whole ‘exspansion thing’ but seeing as it has no PvP at all i’m finding it hard. The game is also technically shorter then its touted ’6hours’ considering its mainly padded out with bits where you have to hold a position and fight wave after wave of enemies (and thats the campaign i’m talking about).

8. MushroomStamp

I played the game for 30 minutes and didn’t like it. Not having a run bugged me and soft shooting mechanics were not for me. Good thing there are plenty of games between now and Nov. 11 :)

9. El_MUERkO

Same engine, short campaign, same multiplayer bar one new mode. Compare it to GTAIV – The Lost and the Damned and it’s about it’s equal content wise.

If they had of said from day one that it was going to be a stand alone game I would have been saying it was a rip-off.

Not too often thou as I couldn’t give a shite about Halo.

10. Psychotext

I have to ask… why does the fact the engine is the same matter? We often get games which use the same engines as their predecessors (with tweaks, which is what ODST has too) and there aren’t usually any complaints about that.

11. deftangel

I’m halfway through in 4 hours. Even if I finish in 8 that’s a decent length plus I’ll have to mop up the achievements by exploring all of the city, then do a co-op run on Legendary and that’s before I even start with FireFight or the 3 extra MP maps.

Plus I got it for £30 so value wise I’m more than happy.

12. Psychotext

£28 for me. :)

13. Gekidami

I got the CE tenderfeet, 80€ for me. …*sob*

14. Freek

He forgets to mention that along with a 10 hour single player campaign, most FPS games also have a substantial multiplayer mode. ODST simply putts Halo 3 on a disc with a level pack.

And most games also offer substantial new content in singleplayer. ODST, doesn’t offer that. It’s the same weapons, enemies and setting as the previouse game and thus verry much feels like a level add on rather then a full game.

Wich is not surprising since that’s what it was meant to be.

And in over here in holland, most stores are not charing full price for it; 45 euro.

I am enjoying it, but the reviews have been fair. High scores (around the 8 en 9 mark) but also critising the games short commings.

15. pracer

And in other news, rain is wet!

16. Dralen

I payed £32 for it and i’m totally happy with what I got for the money. I never paid for any of the add-on maps on the original Halo 3, so when you also get the all of the maps (Legendary + Mythic) plus the extra ones from ODST I think it adds up.

17. Psychotext

“He forgets to mention that along with a 10 hour single player campaign…”

Which ones? I haven’t played an FPS this gen that I didn’t get through in under 10 hours. Some of them in as low as 4 hours.