Guitar Hero boss: Music hasn’t peaked, 80% of console owners still don’t have a rhythm game

Monday, 21st September 2009 18:13 GMT By Patrick Garratt

guitarheroaerosmith2

Guitar Hero CEO Dan Rosensweig is a silver lining kineaguy. Sales in the music games sector may be down nearly 50 percent this year, but all he sees is the fact that four fifths of games consoles don’t have a music title attached to them.

“We’re focused on providing value to the consumer, so I don’t think [the music games market's] saturated,” he told CNBC.

“If you actually look at the consoles that are out there on a global basis, less than 20 percent actually have a music game. So there’s the next 80 percent that we have the opportunity to go after.

!There’s more consoles, those consoles are getting more connected, and we have the opportunity to sell more into that audience.”

Hell yeah. Did you Activision expects Guitar Hero to be the “number two selling game franchise” this year next to Call of Duty? You do now. Watch that movie.

1. Redh3lix

Not that I would ever buy a “rythm” game (not my thang), but I’ve noticed these guitars peripherals/microphones/drums etc are ****ing expensive, and they dont look particularly well built, although I must admit I’ve never picked one up.

2. Phoenixblight

Wow 80% thought it would be lower with the amount of sales we have seen. I will never have one its just an SImon says with crap going on the screen.

3. joshua nash

will never get a “rhythm” game as long as that festering pile of shit bobby kotick still has a job with Activision, me not buying a rhythm game is my own boycott of that cocksucking son of bitch and his motherfucking asshole of company!

4. jkoz

I feel like this 80% will never get one. Not everyone’s cup of tea.

It’s definitely on the decline. I can only use the plastic guitar for so many songs. It’s fun to pick up every now and then but I can’t marathon or party like I used to. Sorry, but they’re throwing cash into a declining industry. At least, from my age group (21 and in college). The kids will probably eat it up for awhile longer, but how long the parents will keep buying the same games (i.e. POKEMON), well… we’ll see.

5. deanimate

sure as fuck not getting my money for shit like this. “Oooh wow i pressed a button at the right time. i am now ‘rocking out’…”

6. Cort

I’ll buy one the moment I can complete a game on all modes, on my own and just using guitar, without having to screech into a microphone and/or hit things with sticks.

PS – deanimate, isn’t 95% of gaming just pressing buttons at the right time?

7. Freek

Geuse what: if those 80% diden’t buy Guitar Hero yet, they’re not gonna start with you just putting the same game out there 5 times a year with nothing but a new track list.

8. Withnail

They’re expensive and not everybody wants plastic toys lying around the house. I’d say they’re doing well just to get 20% of the market.

9. Blerk

I’m surprised it’s as high as 20%, to be honest.