Capcom: “We’ll always be experimenting with new IP”

Saturday, 19th September 2009 18:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

recollage

Over on the Capcom Unity forums in a thread titled “Ask Capcom“, bossman Christian Svensson replied to a question regarding new game franchises and whether the company plans on creating any new ones for 2010, or if it plans on releasing more sequels to proven ones.

Apparently, its a balancing act, bu that does not mean Capcom is not going to take a risk with new IP ideas.

“If you wanted to take a more liberal view of something like TvC, you could call it a new franchise for us, even if it isn’t new IP (all characters have previously existed),” said Svensson, “and I’m sure some others I’m forgetting off the top of my head.

“Naturally, we always need to be introducing new IP so that we have some percentage of them “stick” to become ongoing franchises.

“But it’s always a balancing act both to keep fans happy and to manage risk.”

Svenseen went on to state that Capcom will “always be experimenting with new IP” and provided a list of games the current hardware generation has allowed to be created:

• Lost Planet
  • Age of Booty
  • Flock
  • Dead Rising
  • Zack & Wiki
  • Spyborgs
  • We Love Golf
  • Dark Void
  • Ghost Trick (recently announced)

Thanks, GoNintendo, NintendoEverything.

1. DaMan

kickass pic!

2. DarkElfa

Capcom: “We’ll always be experimenting with new IP”

…While simultaneously beating to death the ones we already have…

3. DaMan

to be fair, they did that only with DMC.

4. DarkElfa

5. freedoms_stain

Yeah, Onimusha had 5 different titles during the ps2 era alone – still waiting for one this gen though.

6. blackdreamhunk

I have to say I respect campcom the only japanese company to really make a come back. They are up there with the best publishers.

7. DaMan

I thought you were talking about the current gen ones. but you’re probably right about the Wii Chronicles titles as well.

in the case of something like Onimusha, I completely agree. but I thought the first one was already a milking of RE/Dino Crisis gameplay scheme.

8. Michael O'Connor

“Only DMC? What about RE or SF or Megaman? No, I think they do it far more than just DMC. Most of their popular franchises have had anywhere from 7 to 12 sequels or off shoots.”

That’s how any half smart business work. Continue to create instalments to established franchise, and use a portion of the profits from those towards experimenting with new IPs.

It wasn’t that long ago that Dead Rising and Lost Planet (and even Zack & Wiki if you’re not a Wii hating fanboy) were completely new franchise, and Capcom brings out at least 1 or 2 new IPs a year. That’s a lot for any company.

9. DaMan

Michael O’Connor, why does your website never load?

10. Syrok

It works for me, his website. :)

11. Syrok

12. DaMan

it just never loads for me, not even once.