Gard: “I’ve probably had enough” of Lara, Crystal D split was “amicable”

Tuesday, 15th September 2009 19:07 GMT By Patrick Garratt

tobygard

Lara Croft co-creator Toby Gard has “probably had enough” of working on the Tomb Raider franchise, the developer told VG247 today, but his just-confirmed departure from Crystal Dynamics was an “amicable” one.

“I can’t really discuss the situation around my leaving,” Gard said in a phone interview. “It was amicable, but I can’t really discuss it. I might have to go into what was going on inside Crystal Dynamics, and I don’t really want to talk about any of their stuff. I’m under NDA, anyway.”

Gard admitted Lara’s allure had faded: this is the second time he’s parted company with the IP, having famously quit the original Core Tomb Raider team in 1997.

“I think I’ve probably had enough,” he laughed. “It’s been a long time.”

He added: “Obviously it’s sad, but I guess I already realised it was out of my hands a long time ago. I left the first time because it was already out of my hands. My interest in going back to help out with Crystal was really just to make sure that that hand-over process worked out as well as possible; I do care about the character.

“At Crystal I obviously had a great time, and learned a lot there. It’s been a really good experience for me, and that’s that, really. A good time to move on.”

Gard has now set himself up as a freelance consultant, although it sounds as though he’s finding his way a little.

“I don’t really know whether or not it’ll work out,” he said. “At the moment I’m doing some freelance consulting, so I’m looking around to see whether or not people in the games industry are actually looking for consultancy. I don’t know how much that actually goes on, so I’ll have to wait and see.

“It just seems to me that there are a few key areas like story-writing and cinematics and feedback on designs that seem like key points in the game where it would make sense to have someone come in and give some outside opinion, just not have someone on the payroll that’s just sitting around not doing anything for the rest of the game period.”

You could probably do worse than hire Toby Gard, game developers of the world. Hit up his LinkedIn page for contact details.

1. Jadeskye

you should hit him up pat. could hire him for vg247.

Bet he’s got some killer Lara art for the office. ;)

2. Patrick Garratt

:D

3. DarkElfa

Everyone is tired of Tomb Raider in general so personally I hope there is never another instance of this franchise occurring in any future time.

4. DaMan

I’m so tired of DarkElfa in general that I hope there ‘s never another comment by this troll occurring in any future time.

5. DarkElfa

How about you go fuck yourself DaMan, I’ve got as much right to express my opinion as you do and while I don’t normally use it to insult the other members here, apparently you do. The fact is that they’ve milked the Tomb Raider Franchise to death and never actually done anything but make the graphics better and the game play worse, so my opinion is valid.

Yours on the other hand is hypocritical since its a post attempting to troll for a response from a person you claim is a troll, so basically trolling for trolls.

6. DaMan

no, not really.

” I’ve got as much right to express my opinion as you do ”
    sure yo do, but this is what was wrong with your post:

“Everyone is tired of Tomb Raider in general.”

speak for yourself, buddy.

and the fact is that they’ve made gameplay a dozen times better in Legend, compared to old games. also they haven’t even milked the series since AoD, that was what Core were doing in 90s. not to mention the upcoming TR is going to be a complete reboot. so your ‘opinion’ is bollocks.

7. DarkElfa

Sorry bub, but not agreeing with my opinion does not entitle you to start calling me names. Also, to use your logic, just because you’re in love with digital titties does not mean that Tomb Raider hasn’t been miked to death, which it most certainly has and you’ll find more “opinions” on the web to back up that assessment than you’ll find to back up yours. That may not make my opinion correct but it does make you a clown shoe for asserting that others that don’t agree with you are trolls.

8. DaMan

a bunch of people on the internet disliking the game?

Underworld sold about 1 million on PS3 and about 1 million on 360. don’t you think that ‘s more valid than your Lara hating internet friends?

and I did say exactly why it wasnt “milked to death”: like I mentioned, Legend was a drastic improvement over old games, it was a gameplay reboot in fact. on the other hand, you haven’t validated your claim at all.

9. DarkElfa

…and nor am I going to try. I’ve been down this road before and I’m in no mood and have no interest to have a web battle with a Lara Croft fanboy. I’ve played into your childish crap for a few posts and I’m not interested in continuing it, so you’ve won the internets DaMan, congratulations.

For future reference, I suggest you look up the meaning of the word opinion:

“a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.”

Oh and just to clarify, my problem isn’t with your disagreement, its that you chose to initially personally attack me rather than state your argument based on the topic at hand. Derailing a thread and personally attacking a member does nothing but put you in the wrong to begin with.

10. DaMan

haha. I wonder exactly what makes me a Lara fanboy btw.

what you’ve basically did was an assumption.

“Everyone is tired of TR” implies practically no demand for this series. see, you simply could’ve said that you agree with (those)people who got tired of the game, and it would be fine.

11. Jadeskye

Woah children calm down or i’ll send you both to bed with no dinner.

12. Blerk

Gard’s comments make it sound like all is not well within Crystal. Which is something of a shame as they’re decent developers. I’d kind of like to see them leave Lara alone for a bit and do something else where they’re not restricted by the series history – even if it’s a similar sort of game, taking the shackles off could really let them shine through. Removing the ‘you must do one every year’ thing might help, too.

13. rrod360lol

I like Toby Gard a lot. I admire his honesty compared to the usual game promoting bullshit. Good luck to him :)

14. Blerk

When can we expect Galleon 2, then? :-D

15. rrod360lol

@Blerk 2020 at the earliest I reckon :)