Crackdown 2 cracked open: first info inside!

Friday, 11th September 2009 03:53 GMT By Nathan Grayson

crackdown22

Well, that didn’t take long. We told you about Game Informer’s earth-shattering Crackdown 2 exclusive, like, two posts ago, and now the dream has become a reality. The leaked details are as follows:

• Pacific City, as rumored, hasn’t changed too much. But then, there’s a good reason for that. With a viral outbreak ravaging the land, we imagine architects have opted to take a few sick days. Well, maybe not “opted,” per se, as mutant/zombification is rarely optional.
  • Note, however, that Pacific City will be a different place. Instead of new buildings springing up, though, old locations will be in varying states of disarray thanks to the outbreak.
  • The shambling (and possibly leaping) mutants won’t be your only foes, either. A new organization called “Cell” will also send its goons after you, and will function more like a gang from the Crackdown of yore.
  • Four player co-op. Music to our ears.
  • 16-player deathmatch with a “Call of Duty-style” progression system? djfnjewnfnjnmcksmv – Sorry, drool and keyboards don’t mix.
  • Civilians haven’t given up hope in the face of armageddon. Expect to see Pacific City’s good citizens take up arms and participate in “dynamic events.”
  • You’ll still earn points in the same five stats, but they’ll unlock more varied abilities.

Thanks, CVG and IGN.

Tons more through the links.

1. Robo_1

The fun of Crackdown was exploring a new city and collecting all of the orbs. With this being a retread of that, I’d say this is far more of a Crackdown 1.5 than a full blown sequel.

2. Gekidami

Maybe the game could actually have a plot this time. Oh oh! And more then 2 things to do!

3. Jadeskye

Talk about Cynicism 247 O_o

I look forward to this for what the last one was. city exploring stupid fun.

4. Captain Fruitloop

“Waiter, I’d like a new Crackdown 2, please. There appear to be zombies in the one you’ve just served me.”

5. Bulk Slash

I know it takes an enormous amount of work to build and detail a complete city but I’m a bit disappointed they’re just re-hashing the same old city again. Then again, Saint’s Row 2 was probably 75% the same old city and it was excellent, so maybe it’s not all bad.

6. Gekidami

Saints Row 2′s city is actually 145% bigger then the first game and nearly all of it was new, i think only one parts or the city were from the first game…

7. Progguitarist

I think I might the be only person in the universe who thought Crackdown was a huge bag of shit.

8. Jadeskye

most of downtown, the subburbs and the projects with most of the airport was a carbon copy but hey, Saints row 2 was fantastic.

9. Gekidami

Dont worry Progguitarist, i found Crackdown to be a boring pile of steaming poo to.

10. evilashchris

People who thought Crackdown was shit never played it in co-op.

11. Progguitarist

I did Chris, I still thought it was shit. The game world was just so bland.

12. ecu

The game world was just so bland.

Yup, spot on. I still enjoyed the game, but the game world was terrible. It was so forgettable and boring. With something like GTAIV I remember streets, with Crackdown I can remember the agency building, and that’s about it. The gameplay system was fantastic, it’s a shame the environment wasn’t more fun.

13. SticKboy

I couldn’t disagree more – Pacific City, to me, remains the most memorable sandbox in which I’ve spent time playing, far more so than any other GTA-alike. I thought it hung together really well with seperate, visually distinct zones and plenty of “wow” moments, so i’m actually glad to see it return more or les intact. As i said in another thread, I’m just hoping that they’ve implemented a sewer system to explore this time round.

14. No_PUDding

Maybe that is becuase that really is a matter of taste. Games can do that you know? The whole idea of opinions, rather than one-up-manship, needs to be introduced to us gamers.

People will automatically inhabit these spaces in different fashions, and will therefore be given different percptions. And within that, the 3D spaces themselves will resonate differently to each person.

Like how once person wants their bedroom painted ‘burnt sienna’, and the other one wants a feature wall.