Courtney Love to “sue the shit” out of Activision [Update]

Thursday, 10th September 2009 10:40 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gh52

This is awesome. You knew about Kurt Cobain popping up in GH5, right? Looks like Courtney Love didn’t.

She’s just posted the following tweets:

For the record this Guitar Hero shit is breach of contract on a Bullys part and there will be a proper addressing of this and retraction.

And:

WE are going to sue the shit out of ACtivision we being the Trust the Estate the LLC the various LLCs Cobain Enterprises.

Whoops-a-buttercup. Via Perez Hilton and Kotaku.

Update: Acti just came back on this, but declined to comment.

1. Michael O'Connor

I can’t decide who the crazier party is here…

SO CONFLICTED!

2. Michael O'Connor

BTW, she can’t spell for crap.

3. TastyAcidMilkk

activision will prob ask her to raise the price shes suing them for (if any)

4. Captain Fruitloop

Her tweet feed is just…..bizarre. More like something produced by a teenager than a grown woman and mother of a 16 year-old child.

5. Ghost_Dog

My reaction to this…

F**k off you skanky murdering scum.

But then I also have a problem with dead people being used like this. I don’t think Kurt would approve.

6. Tonka

What mean LLC?
    Someone set up us the bomb?

7. SticKboy

You have no chance to survive – make your time.

8. Blerk

When they announced that he’d be in the game, I sort of presumed that they’d gotten the proper permissions to use his likeness. Are we now saying that they didn’t? That seems completely bizarre.

9. Phoenixblight

They went to the label and the label probably said “yeah sure we’ll accept your money” While mumbling to themselves that they don’t own the rights to Nirvana nor Kurt Kobain’s songs.

10. Bulk Slash

Activision will offer her a big pile of crack and she’ll go away happy, at least until it runs out anyway.

11. Hero of Canton

I always thought Cobain was an odd inclusion in that it seemed unlikely Love would ever approve. Certainly when I saw the videos where he’s doing all that Public Enemy ‘boyeeeeee’ stuff or singing Bon Jovi songs seemed a little distasteful to say the least.

12. Patrick Garratt

Just got an uncomment out of Acti.

13. BillyBatts

It is distasteful, no two ways about it. Yeah alright, RB used Lennon and Harrison’s likenesses but they’re playing their own songs. Who on earth likes watching Kurt Cobain mincing around on stage to Bon Jovi? Is that supposed to be ironic humour? Why don’t they put Princess Diana and Mother Teresa on doing Slipknot? DLC perhaps?

14. JonFE

I doubt Activision would be stupid enough to include Cobain’s likeness without permission, but if they didn’t they deserve to be sued.

On the other hand, assuming they got permission to use his likeness as they saw fit, can you really blame Activision for getting him sing Bon Jovi songs or the one(s) that gave the permission without putting some restrains on what/where/how his likeness can be used?

15. Freek

If Activision had some good taste, they would not have the dead artists sing anything other then their own material.
    Never mind getting proper permission.

And I don’t think they’d be stupid enough to accidentally do it without the proper contracts. But I do think they’d be douche baggy enough to do it deliberately and think they’d just get away with it.

16. asphaltcowboy

Surprised everyone is getting so uptight about this – why is no one fighting for the rights of poor, dead Johnny Cash?! Maybe HE doesn’t want to sing to Bon Jovi!

17. Blerk

Johnny Cash too? Man, these guys are going to hell.

18. BillyBatts

Jeez, TBH I just thought they performed their own stuff. Didn’t realise you’d have Johnny Cash wigging it up on stage like Flavor Flav.

EDIT: Just ‘read’ some of Ms Love’s Twitter feed. Stay in school kids.

19. Len

She probably just wants some more cash seeing as she, sorry no, her accountant managed to ‘lose’ all her money.

I wonder where it all went…? ;)

20. Stephany Nunneley

@Tonka – LLC stands for Limited Liability Corporation – which means that should you file for bankruptcy, or get sued, the plaintiffs can only go after the LLC and not you personally. Financially any way.

21. scuz

sigh,

22. Dr.Ghettoblaster

This is hilarious. I can’t believe Activision wouldn’t have done this legally though.

23. pleasant_cabbage

She’s typing in some long lost Scandinavian language.
    “i am aawre it is vulhar”

Isn’t that a god of some sort?

24. The_Deleted

As little time as I have for the contemptible harpy, I hope she wins.

25. DarkElfa

What does it matter, he’d dead so he sure doesn’t give a flying turd anymore. The only thing this smells of is Courtney “crack ho” Love taking any chance she gets of making money/getting publicity. Likeness rights are the stupidest rights we ever granted anyone on this planet. All copyrights should expire after 5 years, tops. It would sure enough remove garbage like this from happening. Hell, copyrights should at least be nontransferable from the original owner and disappear at death.

26. scuz

haha her tweets are hilarious. she’s off her nut

27. Gekidami

Acti should have saw this coming, its not the first time Cobains been res’ed followed by Courtney flying off the hook.
    Hard to root for either one of them though, Kotick and Courtney are both greedy douchebags.

28. Galactic_Barret

I really hope she wins. I only know as much personally about Cobain as his VH1/ETHS would permit, but whenever I hear of him, it always follows with how he hated the idea of his music/identity being commercialized. If that was his wish in life, why would his sudden death change that?

Also, I’m not really a big fan of Activision at the moment, or the plastic peripheral genre for that matter, they need a serious reality check.

29. Cort

As much as I utterly detest Courtney Skank-Whore Love, anything that hurts Activision will receive my unflinching moral support. Haha.