Q Games says cost for PS3 Dynamic Themes development “far exceeds” any profits

Tuesday, 8th September 2009 16:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

pixeljunkmonsters

Q Games’ Dylan Cuthbert has said that it’s unlikely to earn any money developing dynamic themes for PS3, and is pleased with the system it helped create for Sony.

The studio head admits that the firm is “proud” to also be one of the first developers to create themes for the system which adds interactivity with firmware upgrade 3.0.

“Sony wanted to spice up the background a bit and static pictures just didn’t cut the mustard,” Cuthbert wrote o the US PS Blog. “So we collaborated with them to make a system where developers can display what they want and animate and move them around.

“This definitely adds a little life to the PS3’s background so be sure to try it out.”

Currently, the firm has a PixelJunk Monsters Dynamic Theme up for $2.99 and Cuthbert stands behind the price for such themes.

“Remember that we’ll be lucky to sell even a few thousand themes, and so the cost of developing the theme (3-4 weeks of coder/artist time, checking, testing etc) will still far exceed any money we make from it.”

More through the link, via Gamasutra.

1. Syrok

Maybe they would sell more if the price wasn’t so high.

2. Psychotext

I’m sorry… but 3-4 weeks of coder / artist time? They need some better staff.

3. MushroomStamp

Absolutely it takes long. I worked in production software for 10+ years. Things don’t just get done without edits. Artists will go thru several submissions and “tweaks”. This is the norm. NO SHOP works with 100% efficiency because that would take hindsight which means everything from concect to completion would have to be 100% the first attempt… hehheh.. not gunna happen. Maybe Sony should just provide better Dev kits to cut this time down where it’s as simple as creating LBP levels :) then only 1 person needed.

4. El_MUERkO

i’d pay 25p for one

5. Psychotext

I can’t speak for where you’ve worked MS, but the designers I deal with could have the graphical side of those themes (at least the ones I’ve seen) done in two days and polished to perfection in a week. They don’t seem to do anything special from the code side of things so I really can’t see where all that time is coming from… unless there’s some absolutely ludicrous certification aspects which take the other three weeks.

Hell… if my guys took that long to do anything I’d never be able to make a profit either. :D

6. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I got the Afrika one for free from Japan store. It’s pretty cool I guess. These should be no more that $1 IMO.

7. MushroomStamp

Personally.. I dont’ think it should cost 1cent. I believe a better strategy would be to release a ToolKit for free to the public that would allow otheres to create and share. Then tag your console as “The Console You Can Make Your Own”.