OnLive closed beta begins

Thursday, 3rd September 2009 07:25 GMT By Patrick Garratt

onlive3

OnLive boss Steve Perlman’s confirmed on his blog that the cloud gaming service has now entered closed beta.

“Beta is an AWESOME milestone for OnLive, capping many years of work. We’re really looking forward to hearing what you think,” said the exec.

Of the beta’s goals, Perlman said: “One of the key challenges that OnLive technology addresses is providing a high-quality, fast-response gaming experience over a wide range of situations: different speeds/locations/types of broadband services, a variety of different PC and Mac configurations, several kinds of input and display devices, etc.

“So, a major focus of OnLive Beta is to test as many of these different situations as we can.”

You can still sign up for the beta, if you haven’t done so already. Bear in mind it’s US-only.

1. rrod360lol

How far into the test before the words “This is never going to fucking work is it ?” get spoken ?

I’m guessing about 5 minutes…

2. Phoenixblight

THis will get pushed out with how the industry is getting with Activision raising the price pushing more and more games. The end result will be another crash to the videogame market and this is where this lovely service comes in not tied to hardware, consoles. Proof that this is the future a week after this was announced Sony put a patent for a device that does the same thing…

3. Komond_Deckard

Sony didn’t patent a device, but a name. The fact is the main thing is this system doesn’t need special devices, it could be done directly on PS3 really. And the same for 360. It’s just that Sony and Microsoft won’t let them make the program for their consoles.

4. blackdreamhunk

I hope it works I want a super computer for my gaming. At the same time i don’t trust big companies. So it’s mixed feelings.

No more microsoft ahahaha

5. freedoms_stain

bdh, what does it matter if a super computer is running the game if the quality you’re getting is no better than 720p? And unless you have a steady connection of >5MB you’ll be stuck at Standard Definition.

My little non-super computer can produce better than 720p definition without the need for a monster broadband connection.

Happy Days.

6. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I’ll belive it when I see it, so I signed up for the beta. Till then, HARDWARE RULES!

7. blackdreamhunk

consoles days are now numbered, when onlive works the death of consoles are asured. Big companies are too gready and will want clouding gaming.

the only reason I like it is because your playing on a super computer. :)

I just don’t like the kind of control they would have on the mass market.

everything is about control these days

8. Johnny Cullen

Gaikai > OnLive.

Why? Because there is a chance I can play Crysis on the PS3. Yes, BDH.

Crysis on P. S. 3.

9. blackdreamhunk

there would be games that are beyond crysis. it will not be on a ps3 that is for sure.

10. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Crysis 2 will be on PS3 and the newest CryEngine 3 demo for it looks absolutely amazing!

11. JonFE

Stop bursting BDH’s bubbles Dr.Ghettoblaster :D

12. blackdreamhunk

yea too bad crysis on consoles will be dumb down pretty bad

13. Gekidami

bet it still sells better then the PC version.

14. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I think all video (PC/PS3/X360)in those comparison shots look absolutely stellar. :)

15. Phoenixblight

Haha @7 BDH super gaming computer won’t need it with this program just need a broadband connection that surpasses 10 MB and with Verizon having FIOS which supports up to 100 MB its only a matter of time before services like this will destroy hardware where gamers stop doing pissing contest on who has a better system but who has a better score, what game they like, etc *comes back to reality* If I had money I would totally invest into this software. This is the future IMHO

16. Psychotext

@PB: All the bandwidth in the world isn’t going to do anything about the laws of physics. That said, if they get enough server farms out there it could work fairly well. (They wont, because if they did that, it’s likely they’d never make a profit)

17. freedoms_stain

@15, he knows that, he’s referring to the server computer when he talks about the “super computer”

18. Phoenixblight

The idea is to start small go with a contract with a huge net service and once more and more jump onto this the more the servers they can get. Its not like everyone and their mother will get it first day. THis is something new which takes a while for people to get used to.

Would also say keep this US side til They make it stable enough to go further not do a “Everyone join” Then you just get a lot of drama

19. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Here’s my input. We’re still at a point in time where streaming video has made major strides forward, but can still be very laggy and surprisingly unpredictable even on reliable sites with high bandwith. I only say this cause if we’re still in the stages of perfecting video, how can we expect interactive games to run flawless which they would need to?

20. freedoms_stain

Depends on where you live Ghetto, this would work in Japan no bother because the average broadband speed is enormous, like over 100MB, but in the UK most people are getting <2MB (according to the digital Britain report), which means most people in the UK won’t be able to run Onlive even at SD. So it’s a long way off here.

It’ll probably work in the US in heavy population centres, but a lot of Americans live in small housing communities miles from anywhere, and these people tend to get crappy internet.

21. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I have to agree that I think it’s the way future gaming will go. And we obviously need to start now in order to develop and get there successfully. But I can’t help but think this won’t catch on for quite some time kind of like virtual reality.

22. freedoms_stain

Whether I buy into it or not will depend on their business model.

Do I pay for a game as I do now and it’s mine to play forever?

Do I pay a sort of rental model where I purchase a set amount of time to play a certain game?

Do I purchase game hours where I can play what I want as long as I keep coughing up the cash?

Do I pay an MMO style subscription i.e. x amount per month grants me access to their entire catalogue, or will there be different levels of subscription with different levels of privilege? (access to all games a month, or 10, 5, 2?)

Or will we be able to pick an choose from several of these options?

Pretty important info if you ask me.

23. Phoenixblight

*shudders* I will not be playing Virtual reality ever that is an entire can of worms there. Look at movies like Matrix, Johnny Mnemonic, Lawn Mower man, Virtuosity. I know they are movies but it does show how humans react. Look at the people that kill themselves because of not playing an MMO or lose a “gf” on it. Playing in another reality when we can barely handle this one. There is a line in videogames and thats where I draw it.

@Freedom

They stated there will be a sub base also you will be able to rent games, buy games without the sub base. Thats what they wanted, we will see.

24. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I was just comparing the L O N G development time needed for somthing such as this Phoenix, that’s all. I’m old school and prefer the systems and hard copy games in my possesion. Still got all systems all the way back to Atari 2600! lol

25. freedoms_stain

Well this has been in the works for 7 years according to their website Ghetto, that’s pretty long already.

cheers Phoenix. Still need to see the terms and prices though.

26. Jadeskye

Even here in london with my 50 megabit connection, i’m not sure i’d be happy with it and thats even providing theres servers dotted around the globe close enough to give me a low enough latency.

Way too many ‘If’s in this technology imo.

Even with their supposed ‘new breakthrough networking algorithms’ i just don’t see this working well.

27. Dr.Ghettoblaster

“I really don’t see it working. the Internet infrustructure just hasn’t reached a level where we can get lag-free live videostreaming consistantly for everybody.”

Exactly what I said. Agreed.