Confirmed – God of War I and II coming to PS3 this Christmas, supports trophies

Monday, 31st August 2009 17:09 GMT By Johnny Cullen

godofwarpsp2

SCEA has announced that God of War and God of War II will be coming to the PS3 in Blu-ray form from this Christmas in the God of War Collection.

It’s being handled by Sony Santa Monica.

The games are totally remastered, run at 720P and support trophies. No word yet though on a supposed demo for God of War III.

This was rumoured a couple of weeks ago after a Mexican retailer jumped the gun on the collection during GamesCom.

Earlier this year, a survey was released by SCEA, asking people what they wanted to see. A GOW collection was one of them.

PR is after the jump.

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA ANNOUNCES
GOD OF WAR® COLLECTION, A NEW COMPILATION OFFERING FOR PLAYSTATION®3
Exclusive God of War® and God of War® II Blu-ray Disc Compilation
Available This Holiday Season

FOSTER CITY, Calif., September 1, 2009 – Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) announced today a new and exclusive PlayStation®3 (PS3™) offering for the critically acclaimed God of War® franchise, God of War® Collection. Scheduled for release this holiday season, God of War Collection will feature reworked versions of both God of War® and God of War® II on a single Blu-ray Disc™ at full 1280 x 720 resolution. Both critically acclaimed games, which were originally developed for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, have been remastered with anti-aliased graphics running at 60 frames per second for a smooth gameplay experience on the PS3 system. Additionally, the Blu-ray Disc compilation will bring PlayStation®Network (PSN) trophy support to the franchise for the first time (included for both games). God of War Collection offers substantial value to PS3 consumers, the compilation of both best-selling games costing just $39.99 MSRP.

Developed by Sony Computer Entertainment, Santa Monica Studio, the God of War series brings epic mythological battles to life with stunning graphics and an elaborate plot that puts Kratos, the triology’s main character, at the center of carnage and destruction as he seeks revenge against the Gods who have betrayed him. God of War® III is scheduled for release exclusively on the PS3 in March 2010.

“We are excited today to announce God of War Collection,” said Scott Rohde, vice president, Worldwide Studios America. “Our fans spoke and we listened; thanks to our partnership with Bluepoint Games, fans and newcomers to the series can experience the epic God of War and God of War II saga in stunning 720p on PS3. This Blu-ray Disc compilation brings Kratos to PS3 even earlier than expected.”

SCEA – God of War®Collection Announced for PS3

God of War Storyline
Set in the dark world of ancient Greek mythology, players take on the role of Kratos, a Spartan warrior. Plagued by the nightmares of his past, the ash covered warrior would do anything to be free of his debt to the Gods and the memories that haunt him. For ten years he has labored for Olympus, now on the verge of losing all hope, the Gods have given him one last task. Destroy Ares, the God of War. Armed with the deadly chained Blades of Chaos, Kratos will have to overcome armies of mythological monsters, legions of undead soldiers, and amazingly dangerous and brutal landscapes.

God of War II Storyline
God of War saw Kratos, a mortal warrior, set upon an epic quest to dethrone a God. But his journey did not end there. In God of War II, Kratos sits atop his Olympus throne, as the new God of War – far more ruthless than Ares ever was. To end his continued torment, Kratos must journey to the far reaches of the earth and defeat untold horrors and alter that which no mortal, or god has ever changed… his fate. God of War II sets an epic stage for a devastating mythological war to end all wars.

Acclaim for the God of War Franchise
God of War releases have set the bar for the action-adventure genre and been acknowledged by some of the videogame industry’s key publications, which include PlayStation: The Official Magazine (Editor’s Choice Award), Game Informer (Action/Adventure Game of the Year and Handheld Game of the Month Award), GamePro (Editor’s Choice Award), Electronic Gaming Monthly (Best PS2 Game), IGN.com (Editor’s Choice Award and Game of the Year Award), and four nominations in the Annual Interactive Achievement Awards, including Overall Game of the Year and Console Game of the Year. The franchise has also been awarded with several honors including several E3 Best of Game Awards (given by several online publications), numerous Game of the Year and Best Action Game Awards (given at Spike TV’s Video Game Awards, Golden Joystick Awards, PSX Extreme Awards and the 3rd Annual G-Phoria Awards, and by PAX, GameZone, GameDaily, GameSpot), to name just a few.

1. Razor

This is fucking wicked.

Shadow of the Colossus next please…

2. Monk

YOU MEAN Remake ??

3. Johnny Cullen

Remake is what I’d call it personally, yeah.

4. SlayerGT

Holy shit! Reworked 720p aa graphics! Trophies! There is a shit-ton of first party games I’d love to see this treatment be given to. Where do I sign up? Lets get some more!

5. Komond_Deckard

Hope it’s released in Europe too. I really want that Collector’s pack with the complete trilogy remastered :P

6. Phoenixblight

I just creamed my shorts a lil bit =-P

7. Johnny Cullen

KD – I’ll ask Nathan to email SCEE. I haven’t got my VG247 email address yet, and he’ll be on shortly.

8. Mike

I’ve done it.

9. Dr.Ghettoblaster

God DAMN they really want GOW3 to be HUGE and this is a tremendous step in making that happen! I own both PS2 titles, but now I’m gonna HAVE to buy this one for the HD upgrade, trophies, GOW3 demo. Very cool.

10. Will_Hunting

This is one of the best days of my life.

Please, PLEASE do the same with ICO + Shadow of the Colossus

11. Panipal2005

@ Razor

I think you mean Ico (EU version) + SOTC.

On the GoW 1+2…hopefully they fix that fucking stupid ‘kick the box that the fucking archers always, always destroy’ bit right at the start. It was just fucking moronic that the box was that fucking fragile. I used cheats to get past that part because I can’t respect games that pull stunts like that to ‘challenge’ (more like frustrate) the player.

12. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Hopefully GOW3 demo will be confirmed soon. I know it was talked about awhile ago (and i thought was the whole reason for this project).

lol @ another comment, different site, same subject.
    “Sony just won the war.”

13. Johnny Cullen

Thats kinda pushing it XD

14. theevilaires

this is huge. even though I own both for the PS2 and I have 2 fully backwards compatible PS3′s I’m still getting this.

Sony is on a roll. The giant has finally awaken!

15. Patrick Garratt

I’ve never played a God of War game. So this is good news.

16. Doomsayer

Finnaly Sony shows some love :P Nice !

17. theevilaires

I said it before and I’ll say it again SOTC should have been a PS3 launch title

18. Komond_Deckard

Johnny Cullen, thank you for the mail thing, hope we all Europe users receive a big “YES” for release :P

19. Gekidami

If is dosnt come out in Europe i atleast hope the original PS2 region locking will have been taken out.

20. theevilaires

it probably won’t be region locked like 98% of all PS3 games.

21. Phoenixblight

Region Locked? thought they took that out if it was region locked why am I am ablle to play FFXIII demo from Japan and various other games I get imported from Japan?

22. Gekidami

Because nearly all PS3 games are region free, this GoW bundle on the other hand is an upgraded PS2 port and PS2 games werent region free.

23. Phoenixblight

well Its remastered and put into a Ps3 format wouldn’t think they would lock this one game especially One as big as these titles were(are).

24. Gekidami

Yeah it probably will be region free, there could be no bigger dick move if its not and dosnt get a PAL release though.
    Wouldnt mind seeing some screenshots of the game.

25. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Funny how the start of the official article has tomorrow’s date but states “announced today”, and it’s from California…

“FOSTER CITY, Calif., September 1, 2009 – Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) announced today…..”

26. Freek

Oh, always meant to be finish GoW 2, but the PS2 is at my brothers house.
    Play it in HD instead? Yes please!!

27. bugmenot

its about time we saw more PS360 being remade in HD, Nintendo’s new play control didnt sell well on account of the hardcore deserting the platform but a “new play HD” would fair much better on PS360. As long as it didnt interfere with new projects and was a value proposition. Ico + Shadow of the collosus has to be next if GOW is successful

28. Syrok

“I think you mean Ico (EU version)”

Nononono, I don’t want to do the stupid bouncy platform thing again.

29. DarkElfa

Why the hell aren’t they running at 1080p?!

30. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Too much effort for the ROI? I don’t know all that’s involved in re-rendering the entire games at higher resolution, but that was my first guess. Only other games I know of both 1080P and 60FPS are WipeoutHD and GT5. Good question though.

31. The_Deleted

Sweet. Every forum / site I’ve read this news on more than a few have stated the SOTC /Ico idea, too. Now that would be something. If SONY can’t sort out a BC patch at least they can give us the classics worth playing in HD. With the Region Free bonus we might get some foreign classics we missed out on.

32. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Not many series would be truly worthy of this incredible treatment, IMO, but ICO and SOTC are a definite HELL YES in my book.

33. No_PUDding

Yeah, as long as they are touched up as little as possible I guess. Just 30fps and 720p.

/purist

60fps is not good, suddenly it looks like amateur camerawork. But maybe 1080p at 30fps would be good. Shadow is just a really complicated game technically. It’s not the “almost” Renderware, Kinetica engine God of War was on.

34. Dr.Ghettoblaster

60FPS is not good? It’s great! It’s why COD4 is so incredibly smooth and impressive and KZ2 is not as smooth and less impressive, IMO ;)

35. SplatteredHouse

I’m absolutely buying this, day one, and making up for leaving GoW 2 half-complete. 720p, excellent!

36. Psychotext

Great news.

That should be pretty much the final confirmation that BC is gone for good too… which I’m not sure how I feel about.

37. No_PUDding

I know I feel weird… I sent my PS3 to the repair shop and they said it’s fine.

They said nothing is wrong with it. So either it gets back and it’s still broken, or i am in the clear.

Either way, I don’t want 60fps in Shadow of the Colossus. It looks more like a sports game then. Althoguh perhaps part of dropping the comparison to films, will be to break free of the paradigms…. blah blah blah….

38. Psychotext

They didn’t find anything wrong? Blech… intermittent failures are fun. =/

39. McLovin85

All i can say is ‘I love you Sony’!!

40. Johnny Cullen

I think SCEE have secretly re-released ICO and SotC for the PS2 as I seen them lying about in my local GameStop when I went to buy Arkham, not pre-owned.

If I had the money, I would have bought them.

That said, they could easily do a similar thing with the two games like this in the run up to The Last Guardian.

41. Panipal2005

@ Syrok

You wanna give up co-op, translated text, and the lightsaber just so you don’t have to do a mildly tricky bit again? You big girl’s blouse!

(PS – that bit’s easy once you know how. Jump as the pillar goes down, not as it shoots up)

42. Dr.Ghettoblaster