Sony’s R&D Team talks about its new motion controller

Friday, 28th August 2009 22:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

sonymotioncontroller

During E3, Sony showed off its new controller which is expected to land sometime during spring 2010.

The video posted after the breaks is an inside look at Sony’s R&D team chatting about what they do and how they created the new motion controller.

Hit the jump to hear Richard Marks and Anton Mikhailov chatting about the motion controller.

1. No_PUDding

Mmm ‘motion contoller’.
    Got such a ring to it.

2. tacopaco94

is there a directional pad or atleast a joy stick?

3. Jadeskye

the latest masturbation simulation device. I’m already sick of all this motion control crap.

4. sxpacks

I’ve been itching for this ever since I bought the wii!! Virtual Lightsaber here I come!!

5. Progguitarist

“montion” controller?

6. tzaylor

awesome video.
    If there are no directional controls a la analog stick then they must have something planned for it. There is no way they would overlook that! ……right?

Anyway this looks to do what the Wii failed to do. The accuracy looks fantastic. Hope the lag is good and low.

7. bugmenot

i think functionality wise motionplus is close to this but in the AI live demonstrations there was still lag. Hopefully using a 60-120hz camera reduces the lag to barely noticeable. Certainly going by the handwriting demonstration the precision shown seemed good since handwriting involves many changes in direction over a relatively small area of screen in a relatively short space of time, lag would need to be small to achieve this without the writing looking sloppy. However the demonstrators have had a lot of time to practice!

8. Gekidami

It better have some form of analogue or D-pad otherwise it’ll probably be as useless as Natal for core games.

9. Cort

What would you need the D-pad on a motion wand for?

10. Psychotext

Walking around. Also, it’s a montion wand.

11. Cort

I get it. D-pad for walking around and montion control for the looking around/aiming. Makes sense.

12. Eon

Have they given up on force feedback that was announced at E3?

13. Galactic_Barret

I didn’t hear anything about an analog stick. If it doesn’t have that, how am I supposed to play “real” games? No better than Natal with out that.

14. Cort

@Eon, the rumble is still in.

@Galactic, it’s not designed to replace the DualShock – it will mostly be for use with games designed for it, no doubt.

15. trivi4l

I prefer Natal over this. But interesting nonetheless.

16. No_PUDding

Look forward to what they have in store, becuase there was quite a bit on that trailer at GamesCOM in terms of games. And like… Proper looking games. Not shit.

I always said I’d like to see someone skilled do something with the Wii, someone who knows how control works, in general. Ueda will be on it.

And what I think is clever with Sony, is much like Nintendo, the technology appears to be staying internal, until they have ideas to show off, things that make compelling games.

17. Galactic_Barret

To be clear, I’ve always had hope for this. However, without a analog stick, you run into the problem where games lack true 3D movement, best case being linear or on-rails gameplay.

I’m not satisfied with just “PS Wand gameplay”; I have the Eyetoy, Sixaxis, and I know how Sony handles their accessories. If I buy it, it (they) needs to add something fun to the genres I already play without the limitations of current motion devices. At first, it seemed as if that was the direction they were heading in, but you can’t pull that off without an analog stick.

I don’t know… I need some more information on this.