Confirmed: Facebook and Twitter “free trial period” for 360 Silver members

Friday, 28th August 2009 09:57 GMT By Patrick Garratt

twitter360

Microsoft’s cleared up yesterday’s tooing-and-froing on whether or not Facebook and Twitter will only be available to Gold Live members. In short, Silver member will get the soc media networks, but only for a “trial period”.

The platform holder told VG247 in a statement this morning:

Facebook and Twitter on Xbox LIVE will be free to Gold members, with a free trial period also available for Silver members. Facebook and Twitter on Xbox LIVE will offer a truly one-of-a-kind social experience, completely optimized for the TV and seamlessly integrated onto your console. Add to that exclusive access to Last.fm, Netflix instant streaming, demos, trailers and discounts, plus the best multiplayer gaming network on the planet, and we’re confident Xbox LIVE Gold memberships is hands-down the best value in home entertainment. We’re committed to adding new features and value for our Gold members, and will continue to do so.

And that’s that. Facebook and Twitter hit 360 this year.

Next.

1. SticKboy

So, is Netflix actually coming to the UK & Europe, then?

2. Prof Power Glove

No, I believe we are getting SKY instead?

Where is iplayer on 360 anyway? No hint of a web browser still? That would be nice.

3. Tonka

Facebook and Twitter on Xbox LIVE will be free if you pay for them.

/signs petition

4. Michael O'Connor

5. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Does anyone really care about this…I mean really?

6. scuz

“I think this is a pretty retarded approach to take for a service that is already completely free on your PC, but since I have a permanently topped up Xbox Live subscription, it isn’t an issue to me personally.”

idiotic.

7. freedoms_stain

@2, Slap a web browser in there and there’s less incentive to go Gold for the special MS clients of facebook et al if you can just access the standard web page.

I think we should just be happy they haven’t gone for the Apple route of charging extra for every single one of these “apps”.

8. Jadeskye

iPlayer would be excellent on the 360. would be really useful step towards replacing my HTPC.

9. trivi4l

Seems like the Gold membership has more value now.