Xbox 360 price cut timing “completely coincidental”

Thursday, 27th August 2009 20:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

360

Aaron Greenberg has told G4 that the timing on the Xbox 360 price is was completely coincidental.

“Typically these types of price changes are targeted to drive sales for the holiday season,” said Greenberg. “However it is difficult for our retail partners to make these types of changes in November or December so we try to work with them to make these types of adjustments before things get too hectic at retail.”

As far as Sony’s price cut is concerned, Greenberg seems pleased for the consumer even when adding in a well-placed dig.

“I guess as a gamer I am glad I got an earlier PS3 console before they pulled a lot of the functionality like backwards compatibility out,” he said. “At the end of the day lower priced hardware is good for everyone and good for the industry as a whole.”

More through the link.

1. Psychotext

Uhuh. They had this ready to roll the second Sony did theirs.

2. Psychotext

Also, 250gb elite coming? (Bundled with two controllers and a copy of Forza 3)

Would make sense given that apparently there’s a 250gb PS3 coming too. I wonder if they will put wireless in this one…

…I made myself laugh. \o/

3. Redh3lix

It should be called a “price balance” moreso than a “price cut”, what with one SKU going up in price and the other going down :/ Either way, I did LMFAO immediately I read the title to this article.

4. Michael O'Connor

Funny, was the previous price cut coincidental timing as well?

Microsoft really are trying to pull our legs today.

5. Gekidami

I might of believed it if it came from someone else at MS but Greenberg is a bit of a dick.
    Also retailers and suppliers pretty much learned of the price cut at the same time as everyone else (about a week ago?) as opposed to the PS3 one that was already confirmed by suppliers a good month before it was announced.

Looks all very ‘last minute’ to me.

6. pha1r

Face prepare to meet palm.
    *smack*

7. Psychotext

“Also retailers and suppliers pretty much learned of the price cut at the same time as everyone else (about a week ago?)”

That’s not actually true. The elite price drop has been talked about on US sites for the last month or so, with a flyer being leaked about three weeks ago.

Edit – Actually you can go back to June: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/06/mole-exclusive-ps3-360-price-drops-coming-this-fall.ars (Mentions the killing of the pro model the elite price drop and the PS3 slim)