MS: Dropping Elite HDMI cable gives punters “flexibility” of choice

Thursday, 27th August 2009 10:04 GMT By Patrick Garratt

360hdmi

Microsoft has told VG247 that dropping the HDMI cable from the newly-reduced 360 Elite bundle will allow punters to pick the HD cable of their choice.

“In order to offer the Xbox Elite to consumers at a reduced price, now €50/£30 less at $249.99/£199.99, we eliminated the inclusion of an HDMI cable,” said a rep in statement.

“That said, we are confident that providing even better value for our premium console will allow people the flexibility to purchase the HDMI cable of their choice so they can enjoy the full benefits of our high-definition and 1080p experiences over Xbox LIVE.”

Microsoft confirmed Elite’s much-rumoured drop this morning for both the US and Europe. HDMI cables are cheap now, right? Right?

1. Syrok

Well it does. It’s just not in HD and to be honest I doubt many younger kids will really care.

2. Gekidami

50€ HDMI cable? :/

So according to MS this isnt really a price drop but more an ajustment to make up for removed hardware.

3. G1GAHURTZ

Like I said before…

“When I needed an extra HDMI cable, for my surround sound system, I bought a PS3 one from GAME for about £5.”

Btw, it is actually possible to play games over SCART and even component you know…

4. Lutz

True G1ga, but who does? n00bs? ;)

5. G1GAHURTZ

6. G1GAHURTZ

@ Lutz:

LOL!

7. Butcher8

I don’t see what all the fuss is about, you can buy a HDMI cable on Amazon for 92p and yes its exactly the same as the full price version!

8. Macrike

Reminds me of all the xbots throwing shit at Sony for not including the HDMI cable.

9. Psychotext

“But, I suppose it still comes with component, so it’s not so bad.”

I believe they’re only including composite cables now. Muppetslol.

10. Dannybuoy

“Flexibility of choice”.. fucking tight asses

11. Psychotext

Mmmm…. fucking tight asses.

12. Zarckan

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

It’s official M$ are retards!

13. SunKing

Absolute rubbish. How about you just provide us with an empty box with the 360 logo on it and give us the “flexibility of choice” of what we decide to put in it.

14. Zarckan

@SunKing Genius :)

15. scuz

this is what microsoft do isn’t it?

“you don’t need wifi built in, you can choose to have it”

etc

16. stvw74

i choose not to buy one .. epic M$ failure rate continues

17. Michael O'Connor

“Also, my TV only has two HDMI ports, which are taken up, so any PS3 gaming is going to have to be through component cables for me, which I have to buy seperately.”

Because it would be physically strenuous for you for to switch them around when you want to use them, amirite?

Anyway, fail @ Microsoft. Who are you kidding? The HDMI cable was removed to reduce the cost of parts that come with the machine, hence more profit.

18. reask

My 360 doesn’t have hdmi, am I missing something?
    The graphics look A1 on my HD TV.

19. Jadeskye

I imagine this has a lot to do with the company that microsoft contracted to produce HDMI cables for them. Chances are the contract with them finished and they’re seeking to reduce their outgoings.