Greenberg – Hardware issues “well behind us”

Thursday, 27th August 2009 07:49 GMT By Patrick Garratt

rrod

Xbox 360 production boss Aaron Greenberg has told Gamespot that 360′s RROD and E74 hardware disasters are now largely in the past.

“We’ve been working hard to make improvements in the products we’re currently making, so I really feel like most of this is well behind us,” he said.

Greenberg added that production advancements have given 360 greatly enhanced stability.

“I can tell you the consoles we’re making today have lower-heat chips and better cooling, and we’re seeing fantastic quality in those consoles today,” he said.

“That said, I know people have had issues with systems which were bought earlier in the life cycle and that’s part of the reason why we implemented our unprecedented three-year warranty for anyone who gets the three red-ring flashing light error or the E74 error.”

More through there. Thanks, rrod360lol.

1. rrod360lol

Bah, if only I’d found this piece of news first so Pat had to give me a thanks at the end :)

2. Patrick Garratt

Let’s pretend the dream’s real :)

3. endgame

issues with hardware. i wonder how that feels. i never had any of those in 12 years since i use PCs…

4. Gadzooks!

Heh, I gave up PC gaming because all I ever got was hardware problems. Not failures but incompatibility, just as frustrating though.

Never had a RROD problem but I have had 2 DVD drives fail on me.

5. rrod360lol

Bless you Pat and all who sail in you :D

6. Dannybuoy

ring-a-ring of roses, a pocket full of posies, a tissh-yoo a tissh-yoo we all fall down _–_[[RROD]]_–_

7. rrod360lol

@Dannybuoy Heh heh good effort :)

8. TastyAcidMilkk

yeah, yet your consoles still break so not quite

9. satsugai

Yeah you guys are a little too late. I’m not going back to the 360, after the trouble I had.

10. freedoms_stain

Gadzooks!, where were you buying your components? pro-tip – if it says “from Hong Kong” in the seller field on ebay then its 99.9% guaranteed to be dodgy.

I’ve been playing PC games for 10 years and I’ve never had any of this bother.

11. Psychotext

I’ve been playing PC games for quite some time (not saying how long… I feel old) and in that time I’ve had to replace (as in broken rather than upgraded) three motherboards, one sound card, one graphics card, four hard drives, two sets of memory, one PSU and one network card…

…and that’s all high end stuff bought at retail running protected by a line-interactive UPS.

Oh, and two mice. :D

12. JonFE

Just get your act together when the Natal SKU ships, Microsoft, you probably won’t be getting another chance…

Ooh, I bet someone at Microsoft regrets taking this picture :-P

13. Gekidami

I’ve only ever had a gfx card die on me with PC’s though its upgrading to a new one every few years to play new games properly that really hurts.
    I’m probably going to have to shell out near 1000€ to get something decent to play Diablo 3, C&C4 and then last a few more years soon.

14. satsugai

I’ve pretty much had a smooth sailing experience with pc gaming. Only had 2 power supplies, some mice and a few keyboards fail on me. Hard drives I’d say about 5 have died on me, and this has all been since the early 486 days.

15. SunKing

I think I’ve actually caused more hardware failures than have occured naturally with my PC. The thing is, if you’re a gaming enthusiast, you end up swapping out hardware every 2-3 years for upgrades, so componants don’t really get much of a longevity test. With that all said, I’m pretty sure I’ve had a hard drive, a CD drive and a graphics card fail on me – some of that is due to tinkering, though – and that’s all within eight years of PC gaming.

Still, I’ve never really felt that it’s been a huge amount of hassle. The only real reason I’m getting out of PC gaming is because of the trend for most developers to focus on consoles.

16. blackdreamhunk

yep the console where microsoft keeps sucking peoples money, yet they make no money.

17. Psychotext

“The thing is, if you’re a gaming enthusiast, you end up swapping out hardware every 2-3 years for upgrades, so componants don’t really get much of a longevity test.”

Ha… yeah, I can only imagine how many things would have broken had any component been part of my PC for more than a couple of years. :)

Also, OMG BDH etc.

18. blackdreamhunk

please

19. Psychotext

A video from 2001… you’ve really treated us this time.