Microsoft to reveal Xbox 360 price drop tomorrow

Wednesday, 26th August 2009 16:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

xbox360

According to a report over on MCV, Microsoft will reveal its intentions for the Xbox 360 tomorrow.

The announcement is expected to include the discontinuation of the Pro and a price drop for the Elite as well as the changes rumored for the Arcade.

Microsoft has yet to confirm or deny reports relating to the new pricing for its SKUs, but it looks like tomorrow is D-day.

More over on MCV.

1. Razor

Add to the fact that the Arcade is really preventing MS from pricing the Elite lower…I don’t know, maybe we’re missing something that will be announced tomorrow.

2. Psychotext

As I’ve said before, the 360 elite has been the same price as the PS3 in the US since the last 360 price cut… they obviously like it there.

Though the difference is now that they have equivalent size HDDs.

3. Michael O'Connor

“I don’t understand why they’re phasing out the Pro and then putting the Elite at the same price as the PS3 (particularly in the US), because IMO, between a $299 PS3 and $299 Elite, the PS3 reresents the better deal.”

The PS3 might have a Blu-ray, added wireless, etc., but that means jack all to a Halo fan.

Same goes for the PS3; a Killzone fan isn’t going to care about the much larger quantity (and quality) of donwloadable content on the Xbox 360 if it doesn’t have Killzone.

4. freedoms_stain

Whereas in the UK where the Pro is currently about £160, an Elite at that price point looks freakin awesome.

5. Razor

“No, it does not represent the “better deal”, because your console preference defines which is the “better deal”.”

That’s why I put “IMO”.

Dork.

6. theevilaires

O’connor seriously stay away from the irish wiskey bro

7. Michael O'Connor

“O’connor seriously stay away from the irish wiskey bro”

That line got dull the 50th time you used it.

You’re not actually going to argue there’s a higher quality (or quantity) of downloadable content on the PSN, are you?

I was simply pointing out that each consoles has its limitations and merits… even the Wii.

8. Redh3lix

Quantity doesn’t mean quality Michael O’Conner. Metacritic presents that same number of titles in the 90 and above percentage range for both the PS3 and XBox…. and the XBox has been on the market a year longer :/

Both machines do their job well.

9. Michael O'Connor

“YOU’RE not actually going to argue there’s a higher quality of downloadable content on LIVE, are you?”

I said quality *and* quantity in my post, didn’t I? So yes, I’m arguing that there’s a higher quality of downloadable content on LIVE, especially when it comes to full downloadable games.

The PS3 has so great downloadable games, I’m not denying that, but there’s far more top quality ones on the 360 than the PS3, and they appear more frequently to boot.

10. Madeira

There are Killzone fans?

11. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Price drop = great news for all gamers!

12. reask

I still reckon they should keep the pro and offer it in different colours like black.
    Not everyone cares about 120 hd.
    I still have the 20 gig and it works fine for me.(3 years).
    I am not saying I would not like more space but I can live without it.

13. fearmonkey

I know what your saying Michael, but Halo fans already have Xbox’s most likely. The new purchases are probably going to be more from the casual space, and I have to say that the PS3 slim at $299 offers the better deal.
    If I was going to get a new console, was a casual gamer, A blu-ray player, built in wireless, Web Browser, media center box would appeal more to me than a Xbox 360 which is more of a games machine.
    The Xbox has most of the big franchises right now, that will sell people that havent yet purchased an xbox that thought about getting one.

I know people that are thinking about a PS3 slim now simply for the Blu-ray, media center and web browser. It’s a shame that MS, maker of IE, cant release a damn browser. It’s stupid.

14. Madlink

Saw the price drop POS in the work this morning. The Elite is dropping to £199.99. GAME is offering a bundle at £199.99 where you get two games chucked in as well. (Think it was Fight Night Round 4 and Tiger Woods 10 if memory serves.

Anyhoo, nothing on the Premium SKU to report other than our store hasn’t had any new ones for three weeks now.

15. Withnail

The US situation is strange. It’s like MS are dropping the wrong SKU. It was always the Arcade and especially the Pro 360 that caused problems for the PS3, not the Elite, which has never looked great value compared to the similarly priced Sony machine. This will be equally true at 299 as it is at 399.

Of course in the UK they will obviously benefit from maintaining a healthy price difference between the Elite and PS3, and I’d say this nullifies Sony’s move quite nicely for them here.

16. freedoms_stain

@14, Game are legends at putting together some of the absolute shittest console bundles known to man.

17. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Question.

If we buy a X360 Elite off the shelf today, does it still have a 50%+ chance of failing, or has that issue been fixed/addressed in the latest models?

Anyone know? I thought the Halo 3 edition or maybe the elites used a different chipset to prevent overheating. Not sure. Thanks!

18. DrDamn

@Michael O’Connor
    Quality is a personal preference, you kind of made that point yourself with Halo and KZ2 – then contradicted it by claiming the DLC on the 360 was better quality without qualification. Surely for a Wipeout fan the DLC on the PS3 is better quality no?

19. DrDamn

@Dr.Ghettoblaster
    Later 360′s are certainly a lot better. There were some Elites which weren’t the improved chipsets but I wouldn’t expect to see any of those about anymore – that was a while ago when they were first introduced. Is there a chance it will fail? Yes – is it 50% on the newest models – no. Significantly improved I would say. If you want to play the games then go ahead and get one – it’s a great machine to play.

20. Galactic_Barret

I’m going to disagree with O’Connor and say that, for full downloadable games, PSN has higher quality, especially post-CAC/PJR.

There is a point to his statement that preference represents which is the better deal, though. Still, for someone with no specific interest in Halo, Killzone, XBL, etc, I would have a hard time recommending an Elite at the same price.

If, for example, MGS:R and DLC were the main/only factor(s) in buying either system, you could pick either one realisticly, but I couldn’t recommend an Elite and feel good about it.

Edit: Let me just ammend that by saying that MS has done a great job of lifting the size limit cap, ensuring that their games are of high quality, and making sure that for every great PSN game released, there are a near equal amount of great XBL games. PSN’s consistency has been remarkable, which is what I’m trying to get at. That, and their uniqueness(?) is what set the two apart.

21. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Thanks Dr.Damn. I’m strongly considering it with these upcoming price drops. Had 2 360′s break down on me so I switched to PS3 awhile back, but I’d like to get back on the 360 too, just worried about system crapping out again.

22. DarkShadow23

Michael O’Connor is a dumbass..

23. Cort

Don’t disrespect O’Connor, he owns this place. His house, his rules.

Oh no, that’s right: he struts around *like* he owns this place.

24. deanimate

price drops are all good for the consumer. then it’s all down to who prefers what. ps3 has always looked the better bet for me personally so that is, of course, what i’ll be getting.
    better games ultimately in my opinion.
    still, to each their own :)