Analyst: Xbox 360 Slim “is a question of when, not if”

Saturday, 22nd August 2009 22:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

xbox360

Analyst David Cole of DFC Intelligence has told Industry Gamers that it won’t be long before Microsoft released a slimmer version of Xbox 360.

“I think it is a question of when not if,” he told the site. “However, the when part is a big uncertainty … rumors have been going on for a long time. I think people were asking me the same question last year at this time. As cost efficiencies allow smaller and more reliable is always a good thing. However, you also have something like Project Natal which could also tie in with hardware redesigns.

“There are a lot of questions Microsoft must weigh internally and there are always going to arguments on both sides of the fence around timing. So I don’t know, but in our DFC forecasts we anticipated a major redesign in 2010….so I guess that was our bet.”

While the other three analysts the site spoke with, Tom Greenwald of Signal Hill, Arvind Bhatia from Sterne Agee and Broadpoint AmTech’s Ben Schachter, do not agree with him, each do foresee a new SKU redesigned with Project Natal for 2010.

More through the link.

1. Mr.L

Microsoft have to fix RRod problem first , then THINK about slimmer version

2. Psychotext

RRoD has been fixed for a while now. Unless you expect them to go into people’s houses and replace the old shitty models whilst they sleep. :D

3. Redh3lix

Newer “Jasper” models still RROD dont they??

4. Psychotext

Not to any significant degree… no. I do the dead 360 tracking over at NeoGAF ( http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16752126&postcount=10430 ) and so far the only Jasper related failure was to do with a PSU breaking.

I’ve not seen one reported on any of the other forums I visit regularly either. I’m sure there’s some… but you’ll find some of every console that breaks.

If you mean that they still have the appropriate light cluster / error message… yes, they do.

5. Redh3lix

Aah nice one, cheers Psychotext.

6. hitnrun

I’m not sure Microsoft cares enough to spend who knows much on a redesign war with Sony. The whole “slim!” phenomenon seems peculiarly Japanese. Assuming that the allocation of money to redesigning the PS3 is part of the reason Sony couldn’t cut the price, I would consider it a fabulously bad decision.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the white 360 looks horrible, I’m just not sure it’s something that MS is going to match point-for-point rather than, say, knocking more money off the price of their current design.

I do agree with the other analysts, though, there could be some sort of Natal-related redesign.

7. OwningXylophone

I think hitnrun hit the nail on the head, what do MS have to gain by ‘slimming’ down the 360? I think they will continue to revise the innards of the console as they have been doing for the last 3 years, but slimming down the case seems a bit waste of money for something most people won’t care about when they could just work on getting the manufacturing costs down enough to undercut Sony’s pricing once again.

I mean how many times have you heard people say that the 360 was too fat? Never, whilst the PS3 came in for some heavy fire about its size.

So just another Sony did it so MS must be doing it statement, like the Blu-Ray drive the 360 has been getting for the last 2 years…

8. scuz

fuck that, they’ll never do it, its not in microsofts candor.

9. Retroid

I have a feeling they’ll slim it a bit alongside flogging it with Natal.

10. Psychotext

I think Retroid is probably right.

11. Bulk Slash

I agree with Retroid. I would expect Natal to be integrated into a new, smaller console. That way the system is even more competitive with the Wii and its small form factor.

12. Whizzo

I’m not sure there’s much wriggle room in slimming the 360 unless they radically change how they’re doing the cooling.

13. Psychotext

That was done by a modder in their spare time… without the ability to do anything to the motherboard / form factor like MS could. Admittedly it has no drive, but again, that’s done without any motherboard / processor modifications.

14. Whizzo

Removing one of the largest components in the box is rather cheating!

15. Psychotext

Slimline drives are tiny these days (like these: http://bixnet.net/images/SlimDVDRW-Slot-Tray.jpg ). I’ve seen them as thin as 13mm. Or let’s put it another way…

If MS move the processor (combined 45nm CPU GPU) over to the right of the motherboard and use a similar cooling solution to his you can fit the slimline dvd drive and HDD over on the left and have it in a very similar form factor to what you see there.

Which is significantly smaller.

16. Robo_1

I think it’s pretty much a given that MS will release Natal with a rejigged 360. The bigger question will be – do they give it any more grunt?

17. Gekidami

But would we get a power brick slim with it?

18. Dannybuoy

Jesus, haven’t we all had enough rumors recently. I need a frickin rumor holiday

19. Psychotext

“But would we get a power brick slim with it?”

I’m surprised they haven’t already done that. They could have made it smaller with every new motherboard.

20. Tonka

I’d be very surprised if MS didn’t redesign the 360 for the Natal launch.

A nostalgic look at Slimming by Apple. ROLF!

21. theevilaires

forget about when, what about how. they can barely keep their current console from over heating. LMAO