PSPgo to retail for £199 at Tesco, not £225

Friday, 21st August 2009 12:06 GMT By Johnny Cullen

pspgo3

Let the price wars begin.

Tesco are listing the PSPgo for £199.97, £25 short of the RRP. Earlier this week at GamesCom, SCEE told VG247 that the console would retail for £224.99 when it would launch on October 1 in the UK.

The supermarket is the first to dramatically cut the price of the console before it’s even launched. If you do pre-order it from there, you’ll also get free delivery. The only downside is that it’ll be released on October 2 and not October 1.

More at GI.

1. Razor

That’s still £50 too much.

2. locus2k1

hmmm… now this is still £20 above what I was expecting it to be (considering Sony said at e3 it would be priced at the price the PSP was originally released at… I was sure that was £180) as it will come with a “free” copy of GT PSP I may be slightly tempted…

But still no news on how I will be able to transfer my UMD titles onto it Sony…

3. Whizzo

Still too pricey but does make me think how much of a loss leader someone big (and no-one is bigger in UK retail than Tesco) might do for the PS3 pricing if they wanted.

4. G1GAHURTZ

WHAT A RIP OFF!!!!

5. trav

Pre-ordered on the off chance it was a one time offer.

If the UMB transfer is shit or something else appears I don’t like, just cancel the pre-order. OH! And Tesco will take the money now, not later.

6. Lutz

Still £100 too much.

7. Retroid

Agree with Lutzie there, still £100 too much for a UMD-less PSP.

8. satsugai

I agree with Lutz aswell. When the UMD tranfer has been sorted and the PSPGo gets a price cut after it’s been out a while then I may consider it.

9. Bulk Slash

This is the future of gaming, you buy your console from Tesco and your games on-line. Bye-bye high street games shops.

10. Galactic_Barret

The whole Go! thing is such a mess. To prevent piracy, they make most of its titles downloadable, removing the UMD slot. To keep retailers interested, they make the MSRP retardedly high so they can get a decent cut (They won’t be making money on software, after all). And, probably the worst of all, they change the memory format to Memory Stick Micro, without any talks of compatibility with Memory Stick Duo’s.

I’ll be utterly shocked if the thing doesn’t fail right about the time the GTPSP bundle runs out.

11. theevilaires

yea whats up with that, changing the memory format. I was just going to use it as my portable PS1 any way but that sucks

12. Dannybuoy

well poo to you all. I have just placed my pre-order for a Go with Tesco after reading this very post! I think £199 is ok, especially as I’ll hopefully be getting about £70 from the sale of my DS Lite on ebay ;-) so £130 is pretty good I reckon. £200 seems good to me, but if you don’t agree then listen to the wise words of Mr Chuck D “if you don’t like it, get the fuck outta dodge”

13. Psychotext

But I like it in Dodge. :(

14. El_MUERkO

i’ll wait for the PSP2

15. theevilaires

+10 for Dannyboi :P

16. theevilaires

El_MUERkO the PSP2 will probably be the same as pspgo so waiting is actually a smart idea. plus the psp 3000 is still the better product in the long run IMO.

I just hope the PSP2 is a hybrid of a mini PS3 and an iPhone :)

17. ruckus

I wonder if they’ll run out of stock due to GAME employee’s…

18. theevilaires

….selling them on ebay? :)