BioWare: Mass Effect 2 will run at 30FPS, no weird pauses in the game

Friday, 21st August 2009 23:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

masseffect2a

BioWare’s Jesse Houston has told VG247 that Mass Effect 2 will run at a solid 30FPS.

He also told us that any weird pauses you might have received during the first Mass Effect are now all gone.

“If you look at most good shooters, they lock down frame-rate at 30FPS: we’ve done the same thing. Bam. Everything’s 30FPS, streaming is fixed up,” said the associate producer for the game.

“If you remember in Mass 1, if you took a step backwards and you hit a weird stream and it’d pause for a moment. We’ve done a away with that. What you’re seeing here is pulled straight from the game.”

Catch our full interview with Houston, locked down here.

It’s out next year for 360 and PC.

1. Hunam

I hope this 30FPS lark is just for the 360.

2. Psychotext

Human, locked 30fps would be a massive upgrade over the first game on the 360. You were lucky if you were getting 15fps a lot of the time.

…as for the just 360 thing. If you have a gaming PC you’ll already know better than to ask.

3. Hunam

Not so much i’m afraid, my main worry was them locking the animation to 30FPS, which is what some games do, Quake Wars was a big culprit in this.

4. trivi4l

Umm install improves everything

5. Jadeskye

it was only the arctic planets i had trouble with in my many playthroughs, it was playable but not as enjoyable as it could have been.

6. psolord

30fps???

I sure hope he is talking about the xbox version of the game!

I played Mass Effect on a 4850 at 1080P and it was absolutely smooth! Now with the coming of Evergreen adn GT300, they want to take gaming back to the stone age?

7. Robo_1

Mass Effect was one of the few games I actually turned off due to performance issues. The screen tear was killer, I could handle the dodgy frame rate, but the screen tearing hurt my eyes after a while.