Xbox 360′s failure rate at 54.2%, Game Informer survey finds

Monday, 17th August 2009 22:38 GMT By Nathan Grayson

xbox_360_red_ring_of_death

According to a reader survey by Game Informer (via The Consumerist), 54.2 percent of Xbox 360s have crashed and burned, meaning that — conversely — 45.8 percent have yet to see the red, glowing face of untimely death.

PS3 and Wii, meanwhile, cause far fewer headaches, sporting failure rates of 10.6 percent and 6.8 percent, respectively.

Nearly 5,000 readers were surveyed, though the sample’s rife with inconsistencies (Xbox 360 is apparently used more than other consoles, etc). Still though, it’s an interesting look at console usage among core gamers.

Click through the link for more flame war-fueling stats.

1. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Sounds about right. I keep my stuff in MINT condition and had TWO break down on me within 1 year period.

In fact, if it wasn’t for this articles said data, I’d be happily playing Shadow Complex and Turtles remake this week……

2. MushroomStamp

This is ABSOLUTE CRAP!!! Reader Survey??? come on .. even people without a 360 and the people love to bash the 360 will skew this easily by 25%.. the fact that it comes from GI is worth at least another 10% MAKING it total 35% lower than reality.

3. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I can only speak for myself and my experience is 100% true. Trust me, I WISH it wasn’t – I miss my X360.

4. trav

I’m on Xbox number 7. I wish it was because I am a careless arse and throw it against the wall everytime I lose at Call of Duty. But they just break down from standard use.

5. Dralen

I’m on my second. I guess that makes me lucky.

6. trivi4l

Second also.

7. MushroomStamp

I have 4 .. only 1 has ever RROD and it was my fault because I had that craptastic intercooler fan on it.

8. Redh3lix

Being a PS3 owner, I’m lucky that Sony’s is approx 10% failure rate (apparently). I’m presuming all the latest XBox SKU’s have these RROD issues resolved as I was looking into becoming an XBox owner aswell.

9. Michael O'Connor

I find this very hard to believe.

10. rainer

Sounds about right gone through 3 myself, first two were RROD the last was the newer E74 where the video output chips fails.

I like my Xbox 360 but the build quality is very poor in general from the noise output to even the rechargeable battery packs for gamepads which have a tendency to die (gone through a couple of those). Even the rubber on the analogue sticks begins to wear off after prolonged use of the gamepad.

I wish they would put out a unit which is more expensive but has much better build quality but I’m guessing that would open up another can of worms.

My PS3 and PS2 hell even the PS1 are all still going strong (PS2/1 aren’t used anymore but still work).

11. fearmonkey

I have had three Xbox’s, of the 3, only one has had issues so far. I have two now, and elite and a pro model. My pro model has been in the shop twice, once for random freezing, and the other for RROD. My elite, and my original Pro model that I gave to a friend, is still working just fine.

12. DrDamn

@MushroomStamp
    “MAKING it total 35% lower than reality”

So you think 89.2% is closer to the truth? Hmmm – harsh but possibly true for the early machines :)

50 odd percent sounds about right, I know very few people who have an early machine and never had a problem. I know plenty of people – including myself – who have had more than one failure.

13. reask

Will have mine 3 years this Xmas.
    Broke twice in that time.
    First one got covered by warranty.
    Second time I got it fixed privately.
    Disc reading problem.

So article is probably fairly bang on.
    I still have the disc reading problem as has my nephew whose console is only 10 months old.
    In saying all that I still like the console and am happy with my choice.

14. onyxbox

My first noisy one lasted almost 3 years. When it failed I got a new model at Christmas and 3 of ‘em failed within the first few days. The old one RROD’d the first new one was DOA, the 2nd new one would not read disks…got a DVD screen saying the disk is for use with 360 !!! :)

The 3rd new one had a weird video problem (would boot into black screen) which lead to E74.
    The 4th new one is still going… However I’ve only played GoW2, L4D and Mass Effect for any length of time on it. I just use my PS3 now for pretty much everying…. although Shadow Complex looks like a must have ;) hope my machine doent fail at the shock of booting it up and getting the latest update.

15. cachucha

around a year from now, with my arcade version and yet to blow up XD, i use it heavily

16. KingCharMing

So glad I sold my xbox before it gave me any issues. Only had it for a month, to be honest I kinda missed the red lil bugger… till I got my new PC

17. Tonka

Nonono MS themselves said it was 3-5%.

18. Blerk

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was over 50% for the earlier models. There was a time when it seemed like everyone who owned one had had it blow up at some point.

19. Robster1979

If you read the full article, the survey is flawed in so many ways its laughable.

That said I dont doubt the failure rate for early box’s is high but I cant imagine that the latest machine’s failure rate is above 10%. The majority of failures cost MS money, hence I’m pretty sure they have nailed the issues on the head.
    (My launch 360 lasted 3 years ish, now I’m on a Jasper and still going strong)

20. Michael O'Connor

“Nonono MS themselves said it was 3-5%.”

Actually they admitted that the hardware flaw is inherently existent in every single machine. It’s just far less likely to occur in the newer models.

I could sworn the figure they mentioned for the older models was someone in the region of 30%

21. vampire8

i have good news everybody
    there is a solution to the death red circle
    i didnt try it yet but i think its gonna work
    i have uploaded the book 4 all of u but plz any one try it and tell me wat happened
    on uploading.com

on mediafire

22. vampire8

i have good news everybody
    there is a solution to the death red circle
    i didnt try it yet but i think its gonna work
    on uploading.com

on mediafirea

23. Psychotext

Or you could… I don’t know… send it in for a free repair?

24. Len

I have an easier solution…buy a new one!

25. Tonka

Wrap it in a towel innit?

26. Psychotext

Make sure it’s a wet towel, and you have to stand there gripping it tightly to ensure it works.

27. Quiiick

@ Psychotext
    Please don’t post this kind of ironic advice.
    Some dumb kid might actually do what you suggest and gets killed in the process!

28. Blerk

It’s what Darwin would’ve wanted.

29. Psychotext

“It’s what Darwin would’ve wanted.”

:D

I post it because it’s pretty much what some dumb kid actually did.

30. joseangelhe

@ MushroomStamp

But wouldn’t that work against PS3 as well? Lots of PS3haters out there too.

I have both consoles, my PS3 is on it’s 3rd year and I think it might be kicking the bucket.

My Xbox 360 is just under a year old and working fine.

Love ‘em both