Pardo: A Blizzard console game could “dominate”

Monday, 17th August 2009 08:06 GMT By Patrick Garratt

blizghost

Blizzard design boss Rob Pardo has said that should the company ever decide to enter the console space, he’d be looking at the same sort of leadership Blizzard games have achieved on PC.

” If we wanted to make a good console game, I’d hope that we could dominate there too,” he said, speaking at Blizzard’s HQ in California last month.

Don’t hold your breath though, console fans.

“No, not today,” Pardo said when asked if Blizzard has plans to create console games.

“It’s something that we always think about, because we’re all big console gamers.

“I play tons of console games, and I would love to make a console game, but we really try to come up with games that we really want to make, and then try to find out if it makes any sense to put them on console versus PC.”

And it clearly doesn’t.

Pardo was talking at a StarCraft II single-player event. Impressions here, Rob Pardo interview here, Campaign screens here.

1. Blerk

You were doing a console game before and it never came out! Possibly because it was rubbish! :-D

2. Patrick Garratt

He mentions Ghost in the interview. He still reckons the concept would work if they had the right people.

3. jeremycafe

“You were doing a console game before and it never came out! Possibly because it was rubbish!”

Would have made a difference if Blizzard was actually developing it. So no, they were not doing a console game. They simply leased out the starcraft franchise and failed to get a team that could deliver.

4. rrod360lol

“I’d hope that we could dominate their too”

I reckon he probably said

“I’d hope that we could dominate there too”

Don’t you ?

5. DrDamn

@rrod360lol
    My money is on “I’d hope that Wii could dominate their two”. :-)

6. rrod360lol

I did consider that possibility :)

7. endgame

yeah Blerk, jeremycafe knows better.

8. blackdreamhunk

blizzard shouldn’t waste their time. Consoles make game devs go bankuprt I have proof this link is proof in it’s self

9. nousemerk

Hey Patrick,

You should email Blizzard or try talking to Rob Pardo again and ask them if they have ever thought about going back to StarCraft Ghost.