Bethesda has no plans for an Elder Scrolls V

Saturday, 15th August 2009 14:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

oblivion

Bethesda’s Todd Howard as confirmed that there is no Elder Scrolls V in the works.

What?

“We are working on our next big game but we are not talking about it,” he told attendees at his keynote during QuakeCon 2009. He went on to say that there are no “current” plans for a fifth addition to the series.

Ok, that’s a bit better.

He did, however, say that there is always “a chance” that an MMO will be created for the series, but apparently it was said in a joking manner.

A “chance” is always better than a “hell no” any day of the week, but a new title for the single-player end is probably wanted by the masses first, Todd.

Via BigDownload.

1. Hunam

Well this is a surprise. More milking of Fallout on the way then?

2. Stephany Nunneley

Well, in the Keynote, Todd said that Mothership Zeta was the last of the FO3 stuff…. so maybe FO15 :-D

3. Pyrix

Nooooo, I assumed they were working on it.

4. Syrok

What happened to this then? :(

5. Hunam

They really need to go back to the drawing board to be honest. Maybe hire some animators, build a proper engine, find a better voice talent agency…

6. satsugai

It could be a spin off TES game or something else completely, I don’t think it’s another fallout as Obsidian are doing the vegas fallout. Either way I’m kind of dissapointed, was looking forward to TES V.

7. Hunam

I suppose it could just be a big fat fib.

Or maybe a proper sci-fi RPG?

8. Stephany Nunneley

I hope so Hunam. I also agree that they need to hire more than three voice actors. If Jean Luc cost THAT much to have in the game, it would have been better spent on more talent throughout in the long run – no matter how epic and cool hearing him for the first time was.

9. Hunam

Actually, they are working on a Wii game aren’t they?

10. freedoms_stain

I had assumed they’d just be doing a sequel, I mean it’s the way of the world now isn’t it?

Success—— milk it to death.

11. Neolucifer

Great! Maybe they could stop releasing watered down elder scrolls , and when they do come back to it , it might be good again then .

I dont care how much it sold , but compared to Morrowind and past elders , oblivion was a joke imo .

12. Stephany Nunneley

Morrowind was the best, hands down, IMO.

13. wz

I’d take the rich, individually designed locations of Morrowind over the generic stuff in Oblivion every day.

So make it a small island again. As I said repeatedly, TES: AkaVir should be next.

14. DUFFKING

I hated morrowind, but liked oblivion. Morrowind was too slow and boring, and the way all the NPCs are completely static doesn’t help. Oblivion lost some good stuff like crossbows, but gameplay was better. Shivering Isles was great.

15. Hunam

Morrowind was about 50 times better than oblivion, and 20 times better than fallout 3.

16. Stephany Nunneley

I want boots that make you levitate again – also the potion that makes you fly higher than those damn cliff racers. Falling that far after the effect wore off was totally worth it.

17. joseangelhe

Apparently, I have to play Morrowind

18. Aperson

pleaaaaaaase pleaaaaseee GOd dont’t let them kill Arcanum! I got the feeling it is Arcanum.

If they kill Arcanum like fallout then….

19. Hunam

They don’t have any rights to Arcanum.

20. fearmonkey

Morrowind was the deeper game. I spent 500 plus hours in that game, and never came close to completing it all. The reason for that was all the quests was text based. There wasn’t alot of voice over work done for all the minor quests out there, and reading through the text took time.
    Oblivion was a richer more beautiful world, but compromised the amount of quests as the voiceover world would have been enormous.
    Oblivion was much easier to get into compared to Morrowind.
    I have many friends that liked Oblivion and fallout3, but couldnt get into morrowind when it first came out.
    I love both games, but Oblivion is the all around better game. They need to kill the auto leveling world though, that wasnt a great decision.

My question is, if not Elder Scrolls 5, then what?
    With Fallout:New Vegas in development, do we really need a fallout 4 anytime soon?
    I am very disapointed… My only hope is that maybe they arent doing the next TES game, but still a game done in the TES world.
    Something new would be interesting, but i really had high hopes for a new fantasy Open world from bethesda next year.

21. Hunam

I just thought the very alien looking Vvardenfell was a much better place to explore than Cyrodiil, which was just generic fantasy. The voice acting actually worked against the game where the text in Morrowind helped flesh the world out. Going from having a tough fight with a rat to offing a few demi-gods was a great advancement that Oblivion just couldn’t match.

22. Jadeskye

elder scrolls DS

23. No_PUDding

Just by the way, to go back to Hunam’s comment, they don’t create their own engine (see: Morrowind, for difficulties with tech).

They license the Gamebryo engine, and they use a ton of middlewares. Speedtree (which includes the heightmap) and facegen for one.

Shivering ISles and KotN, were both additions where they contracted Michael Kirkbride back. Anyway, Morrowind was far more special than Oblivion, I never loved it for good gameplay.

And as I ahve mentioned, I am SERIOUSLY warming to the Fallout that Bethesda have created. I am glad Iw asn’t a fan of the series, becuase no doubt they’ve ruined it.

Really looking forward to New Vegas. And I wanna see a game in the Commonwealth.

24. No_PUDding

And to comment on Hunam’s more recent comment…

I agree SO MUCH.

Reading (not watching the NPC’s face or lip syncing) is much more of an interactive experience, as part of it is imagination and interpretation.

And I have said it millions of times (sorry), Cyrodiil is NOT generic, but Oblivion made it so. It’s supposed to be a thick jungle, with many Islands in the Nibenay Bay, surrounding the Imperial City.

As for the story in Oblivion as opposed to Morrowind. Having your destiny told to you, and trying to convince others of you’re situation, is much more compelling, than doing run-around missions so some other guy can do something.

The ‘spectator’ to story can work, and was interesting, but they must have executed on it badly. But I like that concept.

25. Hunam

I was a *MASSIVE* fan of the originals. If the game had come out 5 years earlier I’d have possibly travelled over the Atlantic and burnt their offices down, I was one of those ultra hardcore fans, but kinda tapered off that as I grew up and realised how seriously they took it, but I’m still a big fan, and year, Fallout 3 pretty much wont be considered canon by most people. Hopefully New Vegas will be more of a sequel to the originals, what with having some of the original staffers on it.

My guess is that they are doing an Elder Scrolls spin off game on the Wii, as all we know is they are making a Wii game.

26. No_PUDding

Ugh, that’s awful. But I think they can afford to leave Elder Scrolls for a while.

They certainly can’t handle it properly anymore. I wish they were like Valve, and took modders under their wing. There’s plenty of people who KNOW what they’re doing.

I felt like burning their office down after Oblivion. :P

27. crippledhooba

No Way! I was sure after the success of Oblivion, it would be an obvious sequel to continue. Sad to hear that is Bethesda.

28. fearmonkey

I highly doubt that bethesda is going to release a Wii only title and forgo the 360 and PS3. They might be producing a Wii title, but they arent going to shaft their main game buyers on the 360, PS3, and PC.

I was a fan of the original Fallout 3 games, but I was never that hung up on the series that I couldnt accept what Bethesda was doing with it. I looked it like the Baldurs Gate games from Bioware, Interplay released the Baldurs Gate:Dark alliance games and I really enjoyed them as well, and didnt get bent out of shape that they werent like the Bioware games.

I agree that more text would be nice in the next game. I actually enjoyed reading the text and it gave alot more information than strictly voice could do. The problem is that Morrowind was a hardcore RPG, where Oblivion was softened up to appeal to more people. Some people hate that, some people loved it. It would be nice if the next game had somewhere in between.

29. fearmonkey

On a side note, I wonder If Bethesda is putting off TES 5, so they can do something next year for NATAL or Sony’s technology or both. A TES offshoot game with motion controls does sound intriguing.

30. jnms

If Bethesda make a TES MMO, then they have sold out beyond the point of return.

Actually, wasn’t there rumors of them making an MMO of some sort? A Fallout MMO maybe, they got the rights back for that didn’t they…

31. DrDamn

@fearmonkey
    “They need to kill the auto leveling world though, that wasnt a great decision.”

Oh yeah – that was just plain stupid. Killed the game for me.

32. Uncontested

@jnms Fallout MMO was by another company that had held the license forever. I think the company fell apart and ran out of funding tho.

Bethesda’s said it’s likely to publish a new Elder Scrolls game in 2010.
    “At the moment we’ve got Fallout 3 for this year and potentially there’s a new Elder Scrolls title in 2010,” said Bethesda publishing executive Paul Oughton.

So who do we believe here??? UGH!!

33. Lutz

I can’t believe this… TES5 was one of the future highlights of gaming for the next 2 years as far as I was concerned…

34. sonderkrabbe

Oh no! I guess no Skyrim for us =(

#34 7 months ago
  35. viralshag

I like to call this the KOTOR/SWTOR effect.

#35 7 months ago
  36. broketm

#34 that should teach us to not take “no” for an answer, when speaking to gamedevs, because they are contractually obliged to lie to us.

No means “no”?
    But “I cannot comment” means “yes”.
    And they can’t say “Yes” because the game could still get tanked.

Huh, let’s just not ask anymore…

#36 7 months ago
  37. EternalOdyssey

well that’s to bad, despite the negativity I still enjoyed Skyrim, less game destroying bugs would have been nice, I hear so many people saying so much good stuff about morrowind, it’s a shame I missed it, it just feels to old to get into now, I liked everything about Oblivion, except the Oblivion part lol I hated going into those damned portals.

#37 6 months ago
  38. bradk825

@37 This story was from 2009. Skyrim was Elder Scrolls 5. So funny they still have comments open on the old stories.

Morrowind was actually awesome. I’d love to see a remake with today’s abilities.

#38 6 months ago