Valve not working on PS3 at all, says Newell

Friday, 14th August 2009 12:48 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gabenewell

The Valve-PS3 thing’s amazing. It doesn’t matter how many times a Valve staffer says the firm’s not working on it, it never gets dull. See: watch this.

Geoff Keighley, speaking in last night’s GTTV episode: “Are you guys working on PlayStation 3 here now, trying to understand it, trying to get better at it?”

Valve CEO Gabe Newell: “Uh,no. Not in any real way.”

Isn’t it great?

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Razor

He’s too busy eating pies to care about the PS3.

2. Blerk

He looks surprised AGAIN in that photo! I swear to god his house is full of hidden cameras. Like Big Brother.

3. Robo_1

Christ though, the pic of him on the Kotaku page makes him look mortally obese… :(

Anyhoo, I don’t think it really matters at this point. If they’re doing well enough to ignore a 23 million installed userbase (and lets face it, they are) then it’s their privilege if they can’t be arsed learning/hiring PS3 coders. Add another 10 million to that figure, and who knows, the lure may be too great.

4. Suikoden Fan

too be honest he looks like jabba the huts and peter griffins lovechild

5. Ghost_Dog

…and so Valve continue to disappoint PS3 owners.

Maybe if Sony made a PS3 shaped like a pie, Gabe might then be interested.

6. SticKboy

I can hear the hand-wringing from N4G all the way from here.

7. _S_E_R_G_

CRY some more little ps3 owners :)

8. pleasant_cabbage

Poor Gabe. Always the pie jokes. It looks like he’s spotted a remaining pie crumb under a table after a recent gorge left him rather scant on stock.

Least they’re honest about the ps3 thing even if it is a strangeish decision.

9. Eregol

I’m a PS3 owner and I could care less.

While I liked Portal, I played it on my PC.

Other than that I hate FPS games and avoid them like the plague.
    I’m sure your company makes very good games Mr Newell, but I for one don’t miss them.

10. Blerk

The really interesting thing will be whether Episode 3 makes it to the PS3 or not. It’d be a bit mean to give Sony fans the first three bits and then deny them the conclusion.

11. Psychotext

“I’m a PS3 owner and I could care less.”

12. Robster1979

@11 God knows how you found that but I like it.

Makes sense when you think about it (even on a Friday afternoon)

13. Tonka

Why the fuck do they have to tell us every second day?

14. Aimless

Because people keep asking them about it.

15. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Agreed Tonka. Agreed.

16. Eregol

@ Psychotext

Quote from there
    ‘The intent is obviously sarcastic — the speaker is really saying, “As if there was something in the world that I care less about”.’

17. Psychotext

Yes, I’m sure the butchery of the English language was entirely intentional and those doing it have every knowledge of what they’re saying.

Or not.

18. No_PUDding

Well, I am fine with that. It was vague enough to imply they can’t announce anything yet. And I doubt that they aren’t working on it at all.

19. Blerk

It sounded to me like ‘we’re not working on it at all’.

20. Hunam

I don’t get why it’s strange to not support a platform they clearly don’t like. From the tone of the comments, I’m not sure why the PS3 crowd even cares.

21. No_PUDding

Becuase Valve create great games. Any gamer who owns a PS3 will like the Valve games.

Blerk, you and I are clearly putting our respective interpretations on it. Becuase he doesn’t say he is working on it, but he doesn’t say he’s not working on it at all.

22. Blerk

Apart from when he says ‘no’, you mean? :-D

23. No_PUDding

Yes, that part after a contemplative hesitation and then a qualifier of “not in any real way”.

Why not just say ‘no’ straight away, if that’s the case?

24. Aimless

I’m somewhat surprised that EA aren’t handling a PS3 port of Left4Dead or its sequel; The Orange Box wasn’t nearly as bad as people made out, and EA have gotten a lot better with the machine since then. It might just be that they don’t want to, I suppose.

25. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Man, these Gabe Newell (non)articles are always guaranteed to rack up 25+ comments….lol

26. Hunam

Aimless: It’s not up to EA though, I’d wager EA did ask Valve to allow them to create PS3 versions and I’d bet Valve said no.

How many times do people really need to be told this, it’s not a trick, there is no hidden agenda, it’s like you guys just can’t accept that MGS4 wont come out on the 360… I mean L4D wont come out on the PS3.

GET THE FUCK OVER IT.

27. scuz

gabe newell is a microsoft millionaire. he’s a fanboy for microsoft, why would he ever change?

this is not news.

28. No_PUDding

Hunam… Calm down man.

Sure it’s going to annoy some of you. But people are still interested, in PS3 Valve games.

And you yourself are interpretting things, as the rest of us are. No one really knows whats going on. Becuase this statement is hardly definitive when there’s been other statements.

29. Psychotext

I wonder why devs like Insomniac don’t get this sort of attention.

30. Robo_1

They’re a second party developer aren’t they? As far as I know, Valve are completely independent.

31. Psychotext

Yes, but what difference does it make? Second vs Third Party is all down to a contract for a number of games. Surely people should be raging that Insomniac (and others) dared ignore the 360 by signing the deal.

(and that they’re probably fat, or something)

32. elronathon

@ Psychotext

Completely agreed, this often gets used and I’ve never really understood it…surely its ‘couldn’t’

33. absolutezero

Its more because Valve games appear on 2 platforms and not just 1 console exclusive. If they can afford to dual program two different versions why not just add the PS3 in there?

34. rainer

absolutezero – because Valve aren’t really doing two versions per say.

Valves source engine and their tools are built for PC’s and legacy hardware for the PC. The Xbox 360 as stated many times by developers essentially behaves the same way a PC does if you’ve developed a game on Windows.

So in terms of resources Valve has done very little if barely anything at all in porting their engine to the Xbox 360.

The PS3 on the other hand is a completely different ball game and because of its Cell CPU does not operate like standard PC does so Valve have decided to not bother spending the money in developing for that platform.

From Valves past comments they assume it (Cell) is a dead end technology wise & probably figure that Sony in the future will switch hardware so that there platform behaves more like a PC computing environment after that Valve only have to spend a little money in getting their tool chain up and running.

35. Robo_1

“Surely people should be raging that Insomniac (and others) dared ignore the 360 by signing the deal.”

I think a big part of it is that Gabe has been a long outspoken critic of PS3 and it’s internal architecture, even going so far as to recommend a full product recall if I remember correctly, so he’s always put the backs of PS3 fans up.

Secondly, Insomniac have always worked with Sony as their publishing partner, so they’re as good as first party in most peoples eyes. They continue to work on and support Sony properties so nobody is really anticipating a multi-platform strategy from them.

On the other hand, Half Life appeared on PS2, Orange Box appeared on PS3, so we know that Valve’s IP is not exclusive to MS formats, so there is that expectation from people that they will eventually get on board with PS3 development.

It’s the reason journalists generally don’t report on Insmomniacs comments about 360; the expectation just isn’t there, the proof in that is that this story has been reported on at all, even though it’s barely a sentence worth of comment, reiterating what the firm has been saying for years now.

36. Cort

In other news, Pope says he’s Catholic, bear spotted shitting in the woods, and scientists say sun will rise in the East tomorrow.

37. endgame

well, i don’t have time to read all these comments but to those of u that r bitching about valve’s decision about not supporting ps3 i cay one this: SUCK IT!

38. Gekidami

You should have read all those comments Endgame, because now you just look like a douchebag.

39. endgame

why? r u telling me that no one bitched about it? there must be at least 1! come on! and don’t call me “Endgame” with a capital “E”. just “endgame” will do. thks.

40. endgame