Rumour: French catalogue says new PS3 price is €299 [Update]

Friday, 14th August 2009 09:39 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3frenchdrop

Right. Bear in mind this could be a complete lie. A catalogue page from French retailer Carrefour has apparently confirmed a new PS3 price of €299, effective as of September 1.

You can see all the scans on PS3Gen.fr.

The text above the machine says “nouvelle console, nouvelle prix” – “new console, new price” – but the model appears to be the current chassis.

That price equates to £258.

Remember: it could be bollocks. Sony’s GamesCom presser takes place in Cologne next Tuesday.

Thanks GAF and Blerk.

Update: SCEE just got back with, “I’m afraid I can’t make any comment on that.”

1. ChrisPilote

Well, because of this advertisement, they have to sell the ps3 for 299€ starting September the 1st no matter what. So they probably know what they are doing.

2. G1GAHURTZ

Looks real to me.

3. G1GAHURTZ

So…

That’s like £40 off then eh?

Not sure if that’ll be enough.

4. Robster1979

THey are still knocking out the old one on the website http://online.carrefour.fr/jeux-video-et-consoles/ps-3/console587/

The flyer does look real tho, only slightly odd thing is the picture.
    Why would you say “new console, new price” then show the old one? (probably cos they dont have a pic of the new one I hear yous say)

5. G1GAHURTZ

Maybe that IS a picture of the slim.

6. Jadeskye

Thats about the price point i expect so i’m inclined to believe that.

7. lk

carrefour was already selling ps3s for 299 in spain last month. 40 gig, mind you.

8. DrDamn

I think that still leaves the UK price up in the air a bit. You can look at it a number of ways but £40 off is the most pessimistic. E.g. They are taking €100 off the European price and that would equate to a UK price of £220-ish. Or you can think of a reduction of 25% which would take the UK price to £225.

The price reduction is an impact thing – so current exchange rates are not the only factor. As G1GA says £40 off is not enough.

9. Blerk

At current exchange rate, 299 euros is £258. My £249 guess appears to be safe.

10. Aimless

I’d say the smart thing for Sony to do would be to package a PS3 and two recent first-party games for £249, standalone units selling for £199. They could then advertise the machine as “available from £199″, which breaks a psychological barrier, but not distribute that many unbundled consoles so they’re relatively hard to get a hold of.

Basically I’d expect them to make a loss on hardware selling for £199, but throwing in two first-party games would cost them next to nothing whilst allowing them to up the price in the name of ‘value’. In terms of highstreet software prices it would actually be a good deal, too; more savvy consumers would hold out for a standalone unit and get the games on the cheap.

11. freedoms_stain

That’s still more expensive than a 360 Elite, and there are rumours abound that the Elite is going to take a price tumble.

I don’t think it’s good enough Sony.

12. Blerk

But the PS3 has wireless and Blu-Ray! And PSP link-up! :-)

13. freedoms_stain

If only people cared about those.

Wireless maybe.

14. Robo_1

I think it’s more the free online that’s the biggest differentiator. I know a lot of people don’t like being tied to a subscription service, and if any 360 customer ever decides to stop paying for Live, then they’ve lost the online component of every game they’ve ever bought.

It’s not something Sony shout about loud enough IMO, as after a couple of years of paying for Live, the price difference is made up by that alone. I know it’s the biggest reason I’m willing to take a slight performance hit on multiplat games, and go for the PS3 version every time… that and I’m a trophy whore :)

15. Aimless

To be honest I don’t think the price of the 360 is that much of a concern. You’ve been able to get an Arcade for around £100 for ages, so I’d be surprised if the price of the machine has been putting off that many potential customers — or at least any that are going to make Microsoft money through software sales and the Marketplace.

With the PS3 the price has very much been made out to be a barrier, so they’ve a lot more to gain from dropping it. I always see people that already own 360s saying they’d be interested in picking up a PS3 for the exclusives if it was cheaper, and outside that hobbyist market you have the more casual, “I want a Blu-ray player so I might as well get a PS3 for FIFA/Call of Duty” demographic.

I don’t expect the PS3 to suddenly overtake the 360 in terms of worldwide sales, but it certainly wouldn’t hurt to tempt those on the fence.

16. Spiral

It’s all very exciting. I can’t wait till Tuesday.

17. Blerk

Knowing Sony the full thing will leak sometime over the weekend. :-D

18. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Oh Lord……when will Sony just make an official statement already….

19. Patrick Garratt

SCEE just got back to me. Updated. Brace yourselves.

20. Syrok

/is shocked

21. deanimate

Bang it down to 200 nuggets and I’ll get one when I get a job that isn’t shit.
    SHORYUKEN!

22. No_PUDding

What’s 299 Euros?

So it’s like £250 here?

That’s shit, but pretty much expected. A huge price drop will cuase only one spike, whereas two price drops will cause two.

23. Syrok

I consider €100 off a huge price cut. 25% off the current price sound good to me, especially if it’s bundled with a game.

But all that doesn’t matter to me anyway as I paid €600…

24. No_PUDding

These PR people are fuckign clueless.
    Just deny everything, until there’s a Press Release/official announcement.

THAT’S YOUR JOB, YOU HOPELESS MONKEY. I LOVE YOU FOR LEAKING THE NEWS THOUGH :D

25. Withnail

25% price cut to £229/€299 seems about right. Exchange rates don’t really come into it. They tend to change much more often than the PS3 price does.