Lionhead’s second GamesCom teaser is Robespierre

Friday, 14th August 2009 11:26 GMT By Patrick Garratt

lionheadmax

Lionhead just posted up a second teaser on its site, showing a new splash page with a shot of Maximilien Robespierre and the same thumbs up and thumbs down symbols that appeared under Che Guevara yesterday.

The quote: “Terror is only justice: prompt, severe and inflexible; it is then an emanation of virtue; is it a less distinct principle than a natural consequence of the general principle of democracy, applied to the most pressing wants of the country.”

Same deal. Hit the up thumb, you go to the “followers” page, the down thumb taking you to “subjects”.

There’s a number five there as well. There was a number six yesterday. Wednesday morning at GamesCom or bust.

1. Psychotext

Oddness.

2. Blerk

It’d better not be more Natal stuff, Peter! I’m watching you! :-D

3. phatb0y

You play a time-travelling dog influencing visionaries and revolutionaries throughout history.

Unlikely, but theres probably a dog in it somewhere.

4. Robster1979

I’m not into all this teaser randomness

I think it just pisses me off, infact yeah….. it just pisses me off.

5. Patrick Garratt

I have a sneaking suspicion those up and down clicks will impact the game in some way.

6. Aimless

I doubt it, Pat. That sounds like the sort of Molyneux feature that’s bound to be cut.

I’m still waiting to plant my tree, Peter!

7. Blerk

Matron!

8. Hero of Canton

Interesting. Robespierre being a prominent figure in the French Revolution following from another revolutionary figure, both of whom used tactics which could in the current climate be considered terrorism. With Molyneux banging on about it being ‘politically contentious’ could this be gaming’s first serious look at the War on Terror?

9. Patrick Garratt

I saw him show Black & White the same year MS showed Xbox tech demos for the first time at GDC in San Jose about 1,000 years ago. He had realtime weather in the game based on the real weather at your location. It was amazing.

Never made it.

10. rrod360lol

I remember someone else talking about having real time location based weather but they dropped it as people didn’t want it to be raining in game when they were already forced to be inside due to the rain… It was criterion or polyphony something car based…

11. No_PUDding

I reckon it’s a Black and White game, but there’s been lots of Fable talk.

12. Psychotext

Black & White did have location based weather. At least the version I had did.

There was an interview about another game recently where they said it was taken out… maybe people are thinking about that? Was Carmack related I believe.

13. OrphanageExplosion

What’s the betting it’s another remake of Populous?

14. Patrick Garratt

Did it? I could have sworn he removed it. That’s my ailing brain for you.

15. Hunam

You did put your address on the config for the weather, but if it ever actually worked it was news to me.

16. Psychotext

Yeah, it worked. It was basic, but it worked.

17. Spiral

I have no idea what that quote means. Since I fear what I do not understand, I clicked the down thumb.

18. rrod360lol

Don’t sweat it spiral, Robespierre was a nob end

In tomorrow’s comments “Cromwell was a twat” ;)

19. Spiral

It’s that kind of insightful political commentary that keeps me coming back to this site. :)

20. locus2k1

Clutching at straws here… Black and White: Natal?

thumbs up and thumbs down could be related to natal for yes/no options… B&W is a random guess :)

21. No_PUDding

So, do we expect many new game announcements from GamesCOM?

I don’t really, apart from this.

22. Blerk

God, I hope so. E3′s for ‘Christmas’, Leip…. GamesCom and TGS are for ‘next year’. Although all this Christmas’s games have slipped into next year, so maybe you’re right. :-D

23. No_PUDding

Well I HOPE there’s more stuff to be announced. But I just don’t think there will be.

24. fearmonkey

it will most likely be a revolutionary game that will inspire terror on those who hate motion controllers.

25. BC

@8 Hero of Canton
    > Robespierre being a prominent figure in the French Revolution following from another revolutionary figure, both of whom used tactics which could in the current climate be considered terrorism.

“in the current climate”? Robespierre is hardly a figure you’d want to use to comment on the “war on terror”. The French generally hate Robespierre, and call the period where he was in control as “the reign of terror” because he beheaded so many people suspected of being loyal to the monarchy.

Quoting Wikipedia:
    The Reign of Terror (5 September 1793 – 27 July 1794) was … marked by mass executions of “enemies of the revolution.” Estimates vary widely as to how many were killed, with numbers ranging from 16,000 to 40,000

26. wz

Republic.

27. Daodan

I say 10 quid Guy Fawkes is on that list somewhere as well.