Operation Flashpoint deaths will be “as unpleasant as possible”

Wednesday, 12th August 2009 12:57 GMT By Patrick Garratt

operationflashpoint212

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is aiming to be as brutal about dying as it possibly can be, senior producer Sion Lenton, told RPS.

Check this out:

A head shot will be a kill. But it’s more complex than that: you can shoot through a guy’s leg or chest, and he won’t die instantly, even if he goes down. You might reach his position and see him bleeding to death. It’s going to be horrible to see. We didn’t want to make death too light or too easy. The same damage system is true for you, which makes things more challenging. We want to make death as unpleasant as possible, and to make players more careful. You’re not going to run through an open field with your guns blazing. The game will teach you not to do that.

Sounds grim. Hit the link for more. The game’s out for PC, 360 and PS3 on October 9.

1. Blerk

The disc will come flying out of the machine and decapitate you for real.

2. Lutz

I think this is a good idea. I think difficutly levels are fucked up and a new approach is needed.

I think the hardest difficulties in games should be set at “realistic” for both you and the enemy.
    Shot the head; dead.
    Shot to the main chest area; dead.
    Shot to the shoulder; loss of use of one arm (Slower reloading, poorer aiming)
    Shot to the leg; slower walking, plus probable collapse.

Same for enemies.

3. Whizzo

The original Operation Flashpoint did a lot of that, could be a nightmare when you were desperately trying to get away and you could only make a few yards (if any) before toppling over and groaning after taking a leg hit.

4. pleasant_cabbage

I’ve been thinking something similar for ages. Most fpses are still stuck with archaic design.
    /gets sniped on the foot/hand
    /dies

5. Robster1979

Or

/pile half a dozen bullets into the torso and they still live

6. Tonka

Do people go on fighting with a bullet in the shoulder?

7. aion kinah

Well, that’s actually sounds pretty awesome. But I don’t like either the original Operation Flashpoint or ArmA, so I very much doubt I’ll like this game. What I’m looking forward now is about aion online which is said to be a promising game.