Free Radical: Technical issues with PS3 hindered Haze developement

Wednesday, 12th August 2009 15:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

hazea2

Free Radical’s Karl Hilton has told Develop that Haze “had a lot of development issues which meant it wasn’t the game it should have been,” and admitted that the teams problems getting the game to run on PS3.

“A lot of them were technical issues,” he told the site. “The PS3 is a powerful machine but a difficult one to get the best out of. We spent more time trying get the game running properly and less time to design the game properly.”

After going into administration and being brought into the Crytek fold, Free Radical became Crytek UK and with access to CryEngine 3 the team’s PS3 woes are behind them thanks to the engine’s toolset.

“I don’t think we’ve seen the best out of the PS3 at all,” said Hilton, “and I definitely think one of the best things about Crytek and the CryEngine is that we’re now in the best position to get the most out of the hardware.”

More through the link.

1. Tonka

OMG, the PS3 really is shit, isn’t it?

2. BillyBatts

Haze is kind of a wreckage dashed on the rocks, by way of warning to any 3rd party PS3 devs. I guess it had to happen to someone but I was kinda sad to see this game turn out to be such a turkey. Free radical are (were?) one of the better FPS devs of the last 10 years.

3. No_PUDding

I can vouch for that Tonka, I unfortunately own one. :(

4. SunKing

But it’s goooooooood, remember? It means that we won’t see developers making the most out of the PS3 hardware until it doesn’t matter anymore. Kaz told me so. It must be true. :P

5. Robo_1

Poor old Free Radical, they bet the farm on a PS3 exclusive and it really didn’t do them any favours.

Hopefully they’ll turn out a killer Timesplitters 4, now that they have a cutting edge engine behind them, they can just focus on designing a great game.

6. No_PUDding

I think it’s unfair to partially blame their tech team, for the mediocrity that (according to reviews)came from the design team.

And if there were individuals holding both design and programming sticks, then they would have gone under this generation anyway.

7. Phoenixblight

My PS3 gets a whole lot more love then my 360 thats because I don’t have to keep buying batteries for my controller for one and also the games I have gotten are a lot more fun and look a lot better then the games I own for 360 excluding a couple (Mass Effect), Left 4 Dead. I also don’t have to play for Online pay and many other things…

8. Neolucifer

Enough with the excuses , the game had designs and gameplay issues than arent of the technical realms anyway .

Even in the fantasy than it ran like crysis or KZ2 , the campaign was nothing good or exciting . And the multiplayer isnt worth it .

Seriously even with tech issues , the game would be in the range of quite mediocre stuff like Jericho , Timeshift , or conflict denied ops .

With most of those game having basically the same common words : unoriginal, generic gameplay and broken

They just messed up in every area here , i wish them all the best , but time to move on

9. Psychotext

“because I don’t have to keep buying batteries”

Do rechargeables not exist in your world?

10. Robo_1

Hey, leave Timeshift alone ;)

I really enjoyed my time with that one, sure it was a little cookie cutter, but the time controls worked neatly and the action was consistent. I enjoyed it.

11. Phoenixblight

The 360 controller eats those up pretty damn fast nothing is more annoying then playing and the Dashboard menu coming up right in the middle of a gun fight. Really MS should have gone the same route as PS3 with a USB controller to charge them instead of buying another piece of equipment for it (which I had bought 2 of and the fucking thing broke twice)

12. Whizzo

If you managed to break two play and charge kits you must be the biggest klutz on the planet.

13. Blerk

My rechargeables generally last at least a week in my 360 controller. And that’s playing every night. You should get some better batteries.

14. Lutz

Same here Blerk… About 20 hours per charge.

15. Robster1979

I buy alkaline’s from the pound shop – last ages and you get loads. Everyones a winner (except the environment, but thats already fucked)

16. Phoenixblight

Doesn’t matter the 360 for me is just what I play when I have a hankering for Mass Effect thats about it. Its my Mass Effect box….

No I am not a klutz for breaking two they just stopped working after a month I had nothing to do with it besides using them.

17. DrDamn

Another +1 for the design being the issue not the implementation. Implementation wise it was a smooth game with solid controls – ok it was a scaled mess image quality wise but the basics were right. Game design wise it was poor though.

If only Shatner were around to discuss eh?

RE: Batteries. I’ve got play’n'charge kits for my 360 controllers but they are inconsistent buggers (they won’t work properly in my black elite controller for a start) – so I’ve been using alkalines. They last ages. The PS3 built in option is very good (and rarely considered when comparing costs) but they could have done with making the charging cable long enough to use when playing a game.

Don’t even get me started on Wii-motes – especially with WMP – they chew through alkalines. :(

18. Captain Fruitloop

It wasn’t tech issues with the PS3 to blame for the awful script and dialogue, was it?

19. Blerk

That’s weird. The same rechargeable batteries in our Wii remotes last longer than they do in my 360 controllers.

20. Psychotext

That’s because your Wii gets about a 10th of the usage. ;)

21. No_PUDding

I was kidding. PS3 is working out great for me.

And as for game design in Haze, I think the real disappointment is it COULD have been interesting, had the two sides actually differed that much.

And overall the game’s marketable point wasn’t ever game design. It was defintely the thematic/narrative elements of it.

And they have no place being associated with technical issues. And it was partially what was screwed up.

22. No_PUDding

Fanboy….

:P

I love the Wii.

23. blackdreamhunk

ps3 is a marketing failure waste more money making console games. the very reason so meny console game companies are going bankuprt. if they were smart they should have stuck to just pc gaming maybe that way they wouldn’t have gone bankurpt.

24. G1GAHURTZ

YO! IT’S BDH!!

WHERE U BEEN!?

25. Psychotext

Yay… it’s BDH! Hi BDH!

26. No_PUDding

Whats the time BDH!?

27. blackdreamhunk

I have been here just not posting much lol. I check what is going on pc gaming every day. It’s getting harder because I am working more.

28. DrDamn

@BDH
    “pc gaming very day”

Bit of a typo there, but I guess ‘d’ is only two along from ‘g’ ;).

29. Gekidami

ROFL.

30. Cort

Yes, Free Radical, because the script writers were too busy working on code, weren’t they.

File this under “pathetic or desperate excuses”.

31. FeaturePreacher

I wonder what Free Radical could do on a platform that wasn’t made intentionally hard to develop for.