Sega more “open” on RPGs than Square, says Suguro

Tuesday, 11th August 2009 12:19 GMT By Patrick Garratt

endofeternity

Resonance of Fate director Takayuki Suguro has claimed Sega is more open-mined with in terms of experimenting with RPG as a genre that the mighty Square Enix.

“Because SEGA has a more open attitude towards accepting new RPG ideas than Square Enix, we’d decided to have SEGA release End of Eternity,” the developer told GameMemo, using his project’s Japanese title.

Previously, Suguro worked on Square Enix titles Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics

Handbags. There’s more on Kotaku.

1. DaMan

can’t wait for End of Eternity (Resonance of Fate).

2. Blerk

Let’s hope they can actually be bothered bringing it out of Japan. :mad:

3. Phoenixblight

Uh huh Ofcourse their “open” they haven’t done as well as Square has so they will grab at anything..

Though I do have respect for Suguro, those are two of my favorite games like top ten.

4. Gekidami

Square cant be that narrow minded, they bothered to publish the train wreck that was Infinite Undiscovery after all.

5. DaMan

@Blerk – they did confirm a simultaneous release for both Europe and America.

6. Phoenixblight

@4 Train wreck of Infinite Undiscovery? I liked that game whole lot better than Last Remnant that left a horrible taste in my mouth.

7. Hunam

Both IU and LR are terrible, terrible games.

Tri-Ace just make hella sloppy games. Star Ocean is fun enough, but a lot of it is clearly amateur work.

8. Phoenixblight

Microsoft just wanted RPGs for their systems they have wanted Square to make them games since Ps2 era just wasnt a smart strategy then. There is a rumor that once XIII is dropped and released Square will jump ship to be exclusive to Ps3 like what level 5 did.

Look at the quality of their games for 360 and compare them to the Ps2 era… to me that evidence Square doesn’t care for Microsoft.

9. Blerk

There’s absolutely fuck all chance of Squenix going PS3-exclusive. Sony doesn’t have the commanding position it once had and Square actually like money – why cut off over half of your potential audience?

Even Level 5 are doing stuff for Nintendo as well.

10. Phoenixblight

SO is Square again look at the quality of Ps2 Square games and 360 Square they are absolutely horrible with horrible numbers.

11. Blerk

Square’s only actually done one 360 game so far – Last Remnant. Which was diabolical on all platforms. Everything else has been externally developed and they’ve just published.

I think you’re also forgetting the amount of complete dross Square published on the PS2.

I don’t think it’s a problem with the 360, I think it’s a general problem with Japanese developers being ‘behind the curve’ on hi-def consoles compared to their Western comrades. Final Fantasy XIII has taken much longer than they anticipated and in the meantime they’ve rushed out some ‘less than optimal’ stuff to try and earn some coin. As the developers get better, so will the games. It’s nothing at all to do with the platform they chose to work on.

12. DaMan

all their games after 2000 had very little emphasis on the story.

but anyone who thinks tri-Ace are amateurs needs to play Star Ocean 2, that game had fun gameplay as well as an epic plot. the third one had a very nice story as well, albeit a simple one.

13. Blerk

tri-Ace are great, they just haven’t adapted to the new hardware very well yet. They could’ve done with spending a bit more time on the stuff they’ve released so far.

14. Michael O'Connor

“all their games after 2000 had very little emphasis on the story.”

Square Enix games have good stories?

If Square Enix games have “little emphasis on the story”, this can only be a good thing, considering how monumentally terrible the stories of their games are and always have been.

15. DaMan

@Michael I was talking about tri-Ace games.

and I’ve heard that already, you repeat yourself quite a lot.

16. Phoenixblight

@Daman No Kingdom Hearts series would then say after that Square was in a lull of videogames atleast with consoles the portable rehas are pretty good, have yet to play 358 days.

17. Hunam

“anyone who thinks tri-Ace are amateurs needs to play Star Ocean 2, that game had fun gameplay as well as an epic plot. the third one had a very nice story as well, albeit a simple one.”

Gameplay is generally fine in SO 360, the animation, audio, writing, plot, acting, cutscenes and camera are all utterly, utterly woeful.

18. DaMan

um, Phoenixblight, I didn’t quite understand your post. I said my quote was about tri-Ace.

19. DaMan

@Hunam I meant they are capable of making great games.

the localization is actually bad. if by audio you mean vo’s, yeah they’re particularly atrocious. and yes I did say I agree about the plot.

camera? and because of that they’re amateurs? guess they ‘re bad at affine transformations with matrices huh :P. to be honest, the field camera is only a bit annoying.

20. Phoenixblight

Oh snap disregard my post then. I played Star Ocean series and Star Ocean 360 was god awful the entire thing was just crap the only JRPG I have enjoyed this generation of consoles was Disgaea 3.. That and FFXIII demo (imported it, not really a game but you get my point) just can’t wait for it…

21. Hunam

I mean sound effects, general audio mixing, by far the worst is the animation, and the graphics are generally pretty poor. I really do like the game, it’s got a charm to it, but like IU, they have terrible technical ability, frame rate drops and the worst facial animation in gaming for the last 2 generations.

22. DaMan

fps drops are actually pretty rare though, only when a rather huge part of scene is being rendered. but yes, it’s not like the graphics are at the limit of the platform like you said. guess they’re very new to the 360 SDK.

well, tri-Ace titles never had the budgets of FF games, despite being twice as fun compared to FF. probably that’s why they want to ditch SE. their PS1 titles were also rather crappy looking compared to Square games.

23. Phoenixblight

Thats because Square didn’t own Enix during the PSone era. I always enjoyed Square’s games A LOT more then Enix. Tetsuya Nomura and Kitase are two names to reckon with without those two Square wouldn’t be where they are at now…